2024 Recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
DeQuan was one of the all time player development fails. Shame on Haith for that… and so many other things.

I still think if DeQuan started under L he could have developed into a really special player. Haith just let the kid do whatever he wanted because he was a five star and did absolutely nothing to help him refine his game… totally criminal.

I think L would have made him better had he gotten 4 years with Quan, but let's be honest. Quan was an athlete pretending to play basketball, he had NO feel for the game, and unlike Jack McClinton, who had 10% of Quan's athletic ability he wasn't a guy that lived to be in the gym. I've always said that if Quan could have picked up 25% of Jack's awareness and work ethic, he would still be collecting NBA paychecks. Haith did a terrible job with Quan, but the dude didn't help himself, and honestly, he had a cup of coffee in the NBA because of his natural athletic ability, but there's a reason why he didn't last long.

We are talking about a guy that couldn't shoot, couldn't handle and honestly, never even attempted to get better. That isn't all coaching. Just playing basketball regularly and putting in work you can develop those skills, even with minimal coaching.

Advertisement
We've had a pretty good run of recruiting the Philly area:

Bethea
Wooga
Davon Reed
Ja'Quan Newton
Lonnie Walker (technically Reading, which is about an hour away but believe AAU team was Philly-based)

When you recruit Philly, you get a certain kind of player. You are almost guaranteed to get a tough, gritty dude that knows how to play basketball. People don't understand the difference between athletes, and basketball players. Some athletes can play basketball, but a lot of basketball players aren't athletic. You can't be soft and play in Philly, you won't make it. There's a reason why John Chaney rarely recruited outside the area, and his teams were always known as tough squads that played with an edge. Another thing is that the kids there usually come with a bit more defensive desire than other places. That's what got Wooga on the floor as a freshman, same with Davon, same with Ja'Quan. Those dudes would at least attempt to defend, even as true freshmen. L will play you if you can defend, even if you aren't there offensively.

Advertisement
Back