2024 Recruiting

RE: RJ Luis

I mentioned him months back... Any idea why Laranaga didn't kick the tires on him? He's a Miami kid, attended Mt. Zion Prep. He balled out as a freshman at UMASS, then hit the portal. He committed to Slick Rick...

Statline:
Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team
11.5 points
4.6 rebounds
46% shooting
36% from deep (as a freshman)

“RJ Luis is the guy who has the most ability of all of them because he can make people better,” Pitino said. “Six-seven, he knows how to pass, he can score, he can jump, he’s got the full gamut of ability.”

Generating NBA Buzz:

"49. RJ Luis (St. John's, SF, Sophomore)
Moving from UMass to St. John's, Luis could start to generate some NBA buzz by improving his three-point shot and pull-up. Without them, he still popped last season as a 6'7" scoring wing who can create his own shot inside the arc, slash to the rim and force turnovers on defense."

52nd (big board) and 52nd (mock pick)

I'm one to usually call for the staff to take the local talent, but there's a reason I never pushed for RJ. Unfortunately, he didn't leave Columbus on the best of terms. And from what I understand he also had issues with his AAU team (SOH Elite). Kid is talented, but seems like his baggage (family/parents) outweigh his talent. Probably works better for him to go away for college. Having his dad around the facility for every practice/game would've worn on this staff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Dan Marino Holy Shit GIF

The 2025 class is shaping up nicely if this turns out to be true.

Advertisement
I don’t think they honored the girls team. Just Men’s and the 83 Natl Title team.
The women's basketball team was definitely on the field with the men's team. Pretty sure both squads were honored during the game on Saturday.

Also, saw a few basketball prospects at the game. Looks like they were on their official visits.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back