2024 Recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
There are a few more reasons (staff composition, evaluations, local recruiting, etc.) why I think we struggle at times with recruiting
but with the success (winning & NBA picks) we've had the last few years I expect if it continues that will go a long way in helping change the way others look at or perceive the Miami program.
I know most don't like to hear it, but to leave out NIL woes from reasons we don't have more traction is a bit disingenuous. Ruiz/LIFW has been the face of Miami Basketball NIL fortune, and that isn't a feather in our cap these days:
1689487062518.png

Advertisement
I like we don’t go after to many one and done l level type talents but boy I wish we were in the Cooper Flagg sweepstakes. It I’ll assume Duke or UConn
I think Miami has the potential to be the premier program for the 1-and done types. If the winning and players being drafted continues, I can't think of many better places an 18 year old would want to spend a year away from home as they prepare for the NBA. Throw in NIL money and what's not to like? I'm just not sure if Coach L fancies them, but if he did Miami would seem like an ideal landing spot for them.

It would sure be nice to get a commit soon and generate some momentum with this class.
Recruiting in the basketball world is a lot more fluid than football. For example, coaches are getting fired and replaced a lot more than their football counterparts. It's common to see football players commit a year or two prior to their graduating year. In basketball, it's usually done late summer as rising seniors or in the fall of their senior years. With the portal now in play, there's no telling how many spots you're going to need to fill for the following year. It's not unusual to see a basketball prospect commit after their senior season ends. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the top guys have their sights set on the NBA and with more options (prep school, overseas, G-League, etc.) available to them it's not uncommon to see them wait it out. The last evaluation period for Div I coaches is about to end. I'd expect Miami to start narrowing down their board. Would not be surprised if we get a commit within the next couple of months. I wouldn't worry too much on whether we've got guys committed in the summer. I think as long as Miami keeps winning and developing, we shouldn't have trouble getting guys to sign.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d like for us to get one of these premier guards this cycle, haven’t a good ball dominate guard in the last few cycles. Especially with how good our guard play was in the final four run. Also don’t want to be forced to be Uber dependent on the portal.

Advertisement
I’d like for us to get one of these premier guards this cycle, haven’t a good ball dominate guard in the last few cycles. Especially with how good our guard play was in the final four run. Also don’t want to be forced to be Uber dependent on the portal.
We've been "uber dependent"on the Portal (and on Transfers before the Portal existed) and those sources have been VERY good to us.

Advertisement
Back