2024 Recruiting

Advertisement
If I am not mistaken and this is based on today because things change quickly.
Miami should (I think) have 3 available scholarships for the class.
Currently, they have 2 Seniors (Omier and Pack) along with one unused scholarship.
Again, this is subject to change as soon as I hit post.
I'm pretty sure Omier and Pack both have 2 yrs of eligibility left because of Covid. And I hope they use both but I can't see Omier doing that. Pack maybe.

I'm pretty sure Omier and Pack both have 2 yrs of eligibility left because of Covid. And I hope they use both but I can't see Omier doing that. Pack maybe.

So COVID is the gift that keeps on giving.
I have a feeling those two will look a little different on the court this season without Wong and Miller.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Doubtful. He has visited every school in his final four except Miami. I'm not sure why we haven't got any of these kids on campus yet. This is like the second or third kid to make a decision, and for some reason never visit.
Unless we do a very good job of not publicizing these things, it's a bit surprising and disappointing to me how little traction we've gained with recruiting in this class. You'd think between our Elite 8 and Final 4 runs, recent NBA successes (Bruce Brown), location, ACC, etc we'd have kids knocking down the door to at least do visits and consider Miami.

Advertisement
Unless we do a very good job of not publicizing these things, it's a bit surprising and disappointing to me how little traction we've gained with recruiting in this class. You'd think between our Elite 8 and Final 4 runs, recent NBA successes (Bruce Brown), location, ACC, etc we'd have kids knocking down the door to at least do visits and consider Miami.
This has been a mystery forever. When we weren't winning, you coulda said the same, for different reasons. We've a;lways seemed like a great opportunity for top recruits. Just rarely happens.

If I had one question to ask L, it would be why we struggle in this area? What are our negatives that he hears about?

Doubtful. He has visited every school in his final four except Miami. I'm not sure why we haven't got any of these kids on campus yet. This is like the second or third kid to make a decision, and for some reason never visit.
If a kid doesn't take an official visit to a school, there's a good chance things weren't serious between the two. Either Miami cooled off on the kid, or the kid was trying to use Miami for leverage or appearance. A lot of these kids are now including Miami in their top 5 for various reasons. Mainly, because it looks good on their social media feeds when an ACC team with back to back Elite 8 & Final 4 finishes is included. Either way, I wouldn't get too caught up in who has us in their final 5. Coach L usually gets who he wants on campus to visit. They may not commit, but he'll get them here for a visit.

There are many reasons why our program hasn't been as attractive to top recruits as others over the years.

1. I think Coach L is one of the top 5 coaches in college basketball today. Unfortunately, not many people outside of South Florida share that same sentiment.

2. Most top prospects want to play for coaches/programs with a track record of producing NBA draft picks on a yearly basis. Calipari may not be the best X's & O's guy but he's got the best resume of putting guys in the league.

3. Compared to other top programs we don't have a rich history of winning basketball tradition. For all the winning our basketball program has achieved the last 3 seasons and all the losing we've had in football the last 20, when people see the :neonu: they still think football, not basketball.

There are a few more reasons (staff composition, evaluations, local recruiting, etc.) why I think we struggle at times with recruiting
but with the success (winning & NBA picks) we've had the last few years I expect if it continues that will go a long way in helping change the way others look at or perceive the Miami program.

Advertisement
Back