2024 Race to 300

Looking at our top 10 classes since the 247 era (2011):

2012: #10 (268.93) Blue Chip %: 27%
2018: #8 (280.87) Blue Chip %: 65%
*2023 #8 (292.01) Blue Chip %: 51%
*2024: #4 (290.81) Blue Chip %: 42%

*Overall rankings (Recruits + Portal)
That 2012 class is a black mark on the class ranking system. That class had 33 commits and an average lower than 88, which included Jean-Louis as the 3rd highest ranked guy in the class who obviously never wound up at Miami.

Advertisement
The DL class is obviously the crown jewel (on paper). The WR room looks good, too, on paper.

The DB room, I’m concerned w/. Patterson is the jewel here, but then it’s a whole bunch of evals, w/ the CB section looking oy vey.

I like Lofton as a player, but I’m not sure his fit here. He’s more HB than TE, & we hardly used the TE besides an extra blocker this season. He doesn’t fit that mode, and we haven’t had much success w/ that HB role under any coach.

RB is a nice compliment to what we already have, but Riley is a potential game changer. Anyone saying otherwise is being a homer full of sour grapes.

QB…I don’t care how anyone spins this, but this is a problem. We MUST hit on the portal or we’re screwed.

With OL, u have to trust evals on this, period.

I like the LB class, & it’s a nice play on to the class of 2023. May be the more unheralded of positions we recruited this cycle.

Still time left on the clock to make this class even better.
I'd get into 40 different fights writing this exact post, but you nailed it. #3 is great in itself and for perception but we certainly left some meat on the bone in critical areas.

Advertisement
I'd get into 40 different fights writing this exact post, but you nailed it. #3 is great in itself and for perception but we certainly left some meat on the bone in critical areas.
It had to be the right person to say it, now that it has been done, our top 5 class is awesome but it is a volume ranking, and a bunch of guys need to get recruited over next cycle, specifically at DB and QB (which nickel may be). We are outside the top 10 in recruit average, and on the wrong side of the blue chip ratio. Hopefully we do in fact have the smartest guys in the room, or at least the most savage that can address the evals that don't hit immediately.

It had to be the right person to say it, now that it has been done, our top 5 class is awesome but it is a volume ranking, and a bunch of guys need to get recruited over next cycle, specifically at DB and QB (which nickel may be). We are outside the top 10 in recruit average, and on the wrong side of the blue chip ratio. Hopefully we do in fact have the smartest guys in the room, or at least the most savage that can address the evals that don't hit immediately.
I thought we wanted our guys to do their own evaluations?

Advertisement
We do, and we won't know for a couple years if they did a good job there. What we know now though is that the next team to win a title with a blue chip ratio under 50% will be the first one in the era of the online recruiting rankings.
Not saying it will be Miami, but the transfer portal makes that more of a possibility than it was a few years ago.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure where to stick this, but I was looking at the top unsigned 2024 kids and how their eventual signing would affect the final team rankings.
There are 2 possible signings that would cause UM to drop from #4:
-Dominic Kirks to Ohio State;
-Gatlin Bair to Oregon.
Otherwise, the #4 spot should be secure.
-Even if Ryan Williams signs with Auburn, they will still be at 288.13 (vs. 289.44 for UM).
-Amaree Williams to FSU only raises them to 277.66, although I'll say I think it's weird not to count Trever Jackson because he's walking on. But **** them anyway.
One wild card is Terry Bussey. He committed to Texas A&M in September but did not sign with them in December. I think he was an Alabama lean, but with Saban gone, he might be up in the air. If he ends up at LSU or Oklahoma, UM would probably drop a spot.

I wasn't sure where to stick this, but I was looking at the top unsigned 2024 kids and how their eventual signing would affect the final team rankings.
There are 2 possible signings that would cause UM to drop from #4:
-Dominic Kirks to Ohio State;
-Gatlin Bair to Oregon.
Otherwise, the #4 spot should be secure.
-Even if Ryan Williams signs with Auburn, they will still be at 288.13 (vs. 289.44 for UM).
-Amaree Williams to FSU only raises them to 277.66, although I'll say I think it's weird not to count Trever Jackson because he's walking on. But **** them anyway.
One wild card is Terry Bussey. He committed to Texas A&M in September but did not sign with them in December. I think he was an Alabama lean, but with Saban gone, he might be up in the air. If he ends up at LSU or Oklahoma, UM would probably drop a spot.
So, it happened. Kirks committed to Ohio State today.
Buckeyes up to #3, Texas #4, Canes down to #5.

Advertisement
The final rankings have been updated from all the sites now.

There shouldn’t be much movement at all next week for traditional signing day, as there are only TWO kids who are both unsigned and uncommitted in the top 250. That’s insane when you think about it if you’ve been following recruiting for as long as I have, but that’s another discussion.

Miami will likely finish with 291 points. So the race to 300 officially falls slightly short, but that’s not the takeaway. The takeaway is that Miami has moved into and will likely finish with the #3 class in the country, behind only Georgia and Alabama. Good ******* lord what an effort by the staff.

I went back over the last 10 classes, so starting with 2015, to see how these numbers match up along with how many programs have stacked the classes we have in back to back years. First of all, here are the TOTAL number of classes higher than 291 points in the last 10 years:

2015 — Bama & USC
2016 — Bama, LSU, and FSU
2017 — Bama, Taint, UGA, USC, Michigan & FSU
2018 — UGA, Texas, Taint & USC
2019 — Bama & UGA
2020 — UGA, Bama, Clemson, Taint & LSU
2021 — Bama, Taint, LSU, UGA & Clemson
2022 — A&M, Bama, UGA, & Taint
2023 — Bama, UGA, & Texas
2024 — UGA & Bama

That’s it. So over the last 10 years, Miami has just signed the 37th best class overall. If you remove Bama and UGA, only 19 classes have been higher by any other schools. (side note…anyone know why Bama and UGA are so good every year? Can’t put my finger on it)

And truthfully, to really get into the elite stratosphere, you need to stack at least 2 classes back to back. Miami finished with 291 in 2024 and 284.6 in 2023. Here are the only schools over the last 10 years not named Bama, UGA, or Ohio State to have two consecutive classes finish with 285 points or better:

FSU 2015/2016
LSU 2016/2017
USC 2017/2018
Texas 2018/2019
Clemson 2020/2021
LSU 2020/2021
Texas 2022/2023
Texas 2023/2024
Miami 2023/2024

What an incredible 2 year haul. Honestly, this even beats my wildest expectations, and Mario was #1 on my board simply for his recruiting prowess. Obviously. But this is truly mind-blowing. There have only been 8 teams (other than the other tier of Bama/UGA/Taint) who have stacked consecutive classes as good as Miami in the past TEN YEARS.

Now let’s go win some football games with this ****nal.

Last edited:
Incredible job by Mario and staff. Elite recruiting. Now it just needs to start transferring to the field. I expect it will. Mario does have a track record of developing talent even tho his game day coaching is lacking.

It does look like Oregon will pass us once that Bair kid from Idaho commits to them but he's got his Mormon mission so he is essentially a 2026 recruit.

Advertisement
Funny how that works.

Mario and his coordinators are not Willie bad lol.

But yeah there are exceptions to the talent wins rule. Jimbo at A&M and Jimbo/Taggart at FSU are two. So one coach had an influence on both those. Mack Brown recruited well at TX but couldn’t sustain the winning. USC has popped its head up once or twice since Carroll but done nothing and of course we had the Coker years.

Hard to find too many other examples of teams recruiting back to back top classes and still losing a lot of games. And I just don’t see Mario as a guy that fits in the mold of those guys above. He’s more like Harbaugh to me even though it’s taking him longer to get there. Better recruiter worse game day coach.

Advertisement
Back