2024 2024 QB Danny O'Neil

apfenny3

Freshman
Posted about Danny in another thread but decided to make a separate one for him. He's a 2024 QB out of Indianapolis Cathedral HS which is a similar program to STA. They're not in a conference so they play the top teams out of Indy, Cinci and Louisville each year and had recent draft picks in Terry McLaurin and Pete Werner.

He was an Adidas freshman All-American last year and just tore it up at the Army All-American Bowl Combine. Danny was the first QB in school history to get varsity snaps as a freshman and got an offer from Toledo over the summer before he was a starter. He won a state championship this fall and threw for 33 TDs to 2 picks and ran for another 10.

He has a huge interest in Miami and would likely commit if we ever were to offer. He was just at FSU last week, has had visits to Purdue, Indiana, Cinci, just had Bill O'Brian from Bama stop by and meet him and he's been hearing from ND and WVU.

I've known him since he was either in 5th or 6th grade. He has a football IQ on par with most current D1 QBs, good athlete and incredible work ethic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Do you feel like he has an early leader? May be stereotyping but will he always be on commit watch if/when an ND offer comes around?
That's the other program that would be at the top for him. In addition to him, his parents seem very interested in Miami. We've shared the same trainer in Indy so I'd catch passes from him often over the years and got to know his family a bit.

The young man has very nice touch on his passes. Good mechanics and accuracy. He also appears to be a good athlete. Moves well in the pocket and runs the ball.

I hope Mario give him a look. We need the OC and QB coach in place ASAP.

Recruiting never stops!!!
Needs to keep getting stronger and grow into his body a bit but he's as mechanically sound as it gets for that age. Has like a 4.3 GPA and his football IQ is off the charts. He works with Anthony Morelli in Indy who used to start at Penn State and was the number 1 QB recruit when he was in HS.

Advertisement
That's the other program that would be at the top for him. In addition to him, his parents seem very interested in Miami. We've shared the same trainer in Indy so I'd catch passes from him often over the years and got to know his family a bit.
Gotchu, appreciate the insight

Needs to keep getting stronger and grow into his body a bit but he's as mechanically sound as it gets for that age. Has like a 4.3 GPA and his football IQ is off the charts. He works with Anthony Morelli in Indy who used to start at Penn State and was the number 1 QB recruit when he was in HS.

He's legit. Not much to criticize. Arm strength, avoid projecting and progressions. Exceptional awareness. Love the naked bootlegs with the TE and WR in support. Sells the RPO well. I'm surprised Lashlee wasn't all over the kid, but maybe he was already planning his next move. My bet would be arm strength concerns.

Advertisement
He's legit. Not much to criticize. Arm strength, avoid projecting and progressions. Exceptional awareness. Love the naked bootlegs with the TE and WR in support. Sells the RPO well. I'm surprised Lashlee wasn't all over the kid, but maybe he was already planning his next move. My bet would be arm strength concerns.
Good assessment. I think he has good velocity on the short to intermediate throws but needs to keep developing some deep ball strength

Other than the hair he looks like a stud
Will Ferrell Love Everybody GIF

How would you compare him to the 2 SFL studs at QB in the 24 class?

Advertisement
How would you compare him to the 2 SFL studs at QB in the 24 class?
I haven't watched Posse yet, Aronson has a better frame and stronger arm right now. O'Neil is more accurate, much better athlete, better footwork and mechanics and has played better competition, but the competition piece will change now that Aronson transferred to STA.

They've only been at one event together that I'm aware of, the Adidas freshman all American game which I was told by one of the 2 QB coaches there (also Danny's private coach) that Danny looked much better. But you can't really take into account what guys do as freshmen.

Posted about Danny in another thread but decided to make a separate one for him. He's a 2024 QB out of Indianapolis Cathedral HS which is a similar program to STA. They're not in a conference so they play the top teams out of Indy, Cinci and Louisville each year and had recent draft picks in Terry McLaurin and Pete Werner.

He was an Adidas freshman All-American last year and just tore it up at the Army All-American Bowl Combine. Danny was the first QB in school history to get varsity snaps as a freshman and got an offer from Toledo over the summer before he was a starter. He won a state championship this fall and threw for 33 TDs to 2 picks and ran for another 10.

He has a huge interest in Miami and would likely commit if we ever were to offer. He was just at FSU last week, has had visits to Purdue, Indiana, Cinci, just had Bill O'Brian from Bama stop by and meet him and he's been hearing from ND and WVU.

I've known him since he was either in 5th or 6th grade. He has a football IQ on par with most current D1 QBs, good athlete and incredible work ethic.

kid looks good. especially for only a sophomore. needs to tighten up his stride a bit on some throws, but he has skills.

we should definitely be on him

kid looks good. especially for only a sophomore. needs to tighten up his stride a bit on some throws, but he has skills.

we should definitely be on him
That's my thought, time will tell if he ends up a 5 star or a 3, it's hard to gauge when guys are 15-16 and still maturing. But with his accolades so far and serious interest on his end we have nothing to lose by starting up dialogue.

I never understood GPA's above 4.0. Still don't. The highest grade you can get is an A which is 4.0. Seems like grades have been watered down since I was in high school school. Oh well, that's another thread.

Advertisement
Back