2024 Outlook

TheU704

Recruit
I try not to join in with you mopes, but for the first time I am a bit concerned for what next year holds and how that impacts our Canes long term.

Do we all agree that next year is absolutely critical for Mario and co? As in, he has to win 9+ games to avoid his seat to be scorching hot? The hardest part of not making the jump next year is the long term impacts we have... If thats the end of Mario, whats next for the program?

Now for the real point, I am not sure I see much of a path to 9+ wins next year... Especially after last nights performance.
  • Start wit the obvious, QB... If we get Cam we should be in the best shape possible.. But if not I am not sure where we go, and honestly not sure how many portal Q's are much better then TVD. Please fill in where you disagree.
  • We are losing 2 safeties and have zero path to replacing them, evident that they arent on the roster currently. Unproven assets from the portal, a freshmen but how often does that work?
  • Wide Receivers... Where do we start. Losing Young is going to be huge, how do we replace that? JG is clearly not a 1 and at times does more harm then good. We have seen ZERO production from the freshmen class this past year, hopefully someone makes a jump. We do have a great class coming in, but again when have we had impact from a freshmen receiver? We have offered minimal talent if any in the portal. Even if we get cam, do we have enough?
  • O-line actually really scares me after yesterday, we were TERRIBLE.. As bad as we look, still hard to worry about OL with great wall of Mirobal on staff. Entertain me tho, We have a replacement at C, but cant imagine he will be nearly as good as Lee. Who is going to replace Cohen? Our recruiting class is full of projects, havent brought in interior help either. Lou our answer?
Im sure there are more concerns, but wanted to start a convo and have the geniuses of this board talk me off the ledge and convince me that 9+ wins is possible.

Advertisement
Yesterday’s O-line will not be what’s fielded next year. Mario will make sure if any position group is to be lacking, it won’t be the trenches.
agreed on the trenches, but times running out. How do you foresee it getting much better?

Advertisement
I try not to join in with you mopes, but for the first time I am a bit concerned for what next year holds and how that impacts our Canes long term.

Do we all agree that next year is absolutely critical for Mario and co? As in, he has to win 9+ games to avoid his seat to be scorching hot? The hardest part of not making the jump next year is the long term impacts we have... If thats the end of Mario, whats next for the program?

Now for the real point, I am not sure I see much of a path to 9+ wins next year... Especially after last nights performance.
  • Start wit the obvious, QB... If we get Cam we should be in the best shape possible.. But if not I am not sure where we go, and honestly not sure how many portal Q's are much better then TVD. Please fill in where you disagree.
  • We are losing 2 safeties and have zero path to replacing them, evident that they arent on the roster currently. Unproven assets from the portal, a freshmen but how often does that work?
  • Wide Receivers... Where do we start. Losing Young is going to be huge, how do we replace that? JG is clearly not a 1 and at times does more harm then good. We have seen ZERO production from the freshmen class this past year, hopefully someone makes a jump. We do have a great class coming in, but again when have we had impact from a freshmen receiver? We have offered minimal talent if any in the portal. Even if we get cam, do we have enough?
  • O-line actually really scares me after yesterday, we were TERRIBLE.. As bad as we look, still hard to worry about OL with great wall of Mirobal on staff. Entertain me tho, We have a replacement at C, but cant imagine he will be nearly as good as Lee. Who is going to replace Cohen? Our recruiting class is full of projects, havent brought in interior help either. Lou our answer?
Im sure there are more concerns, but wanted to start a convo and have the geniuses of this board talk me off the ledge and convince me that 9+ wins is possible.

+ It doesn’t matter who the OC or QB is, the offense will always look the same. That is what Mario wants run. It doesn’t matter if Gattis, or Dawson, or TVD, Garcia, Williams, Brown run it. It is what it is. That’s a 6-7 to 8-5 offense.
+ Safety help is always available in the portal. I’m not concerned.
+ OLine is also not a concern. McCoy looked good when he was out. Why Cristobal got the majority of the snaps is between Cristobal and Jesus.

I dont think a ‘competent’ QB is enough. TVD can be/is competent. He won the Rose Bowl and Pac12 with a first round QB in Herbert and at times made him look pedestrian, even straight up bad. On a different team, that kid is probably a heisman contender. Our talent level will have to, in a way, out play the coaching on this team to have any prayer of legitimate success. (Spoiler alert: that won’t be happening)

Another year of questionable coaching, getting back to work, bro football, hundreds of stupid penalties, running up the middle on fourth down, refusing to pass down the middle, Greentree all Americans, tough and physical, blah blah blah

Advertisement
Yesterday’s O-line will not be what’s fielded next year. Mario will make sure if any position group is to be lacking, it won’t be the trenches.
What makes you so sure? He had a terrible OL in 22. He may have gotten lucky with Lee and Cohen. What if we don't get anyone that good? He's far from trust on anything

agreed on the trenches, but times running out. How do you foresee it getting much better?
3 returning starters with game experience. Add in good recruiting and development and I think year after year we continue to get better.

Advertisement
What makes you so sure? He had a terrible OL in 22. He may have gotten lucky with Lee and Cohen. What if we don't get anyone that good? He's far from trust on anything
Maybe he got lucky, but he definitely got peoples attention with their development. Other transfers will see what he did with lee and cohen and trust he does the same for them IMO.

It really all starts with the opener imo.

If we lose to that clusterf^ck up north, a majority of the fanbase will turn on Mario so fast and hope will be down the drain. That to me would be a completely unacceptable loss given what’s transpired with UF over the last few months. That game has to be a win. I don’t care who the QB is or who’s calling plays. You lose that one, and morale will be gutted, fans won’t show up to games…same ol’ Miami.

The rest of the schedule is manageable on paper sans a trip to Louisville, which we’d probably be underdogs in (as of now). It screams 9-3 for a competent coach, which is fine with me for year 3. The goal should be 10 wins, anything less than 9 is an absolute failure and deserves extensive questioning regarding Mario’s future here.

Advertisement
It really all starts with the opener imo.

If we lose to that clusterf^ck up north, a majority of the fanbase will turn on Mario so fast and hope will be down the drain. That to me would be a completely unacceptable loss given what’s transpired with UF over the last few months. That game has to be a win. I don’t care who the QB is or who’s calling plays. You lose that one, and morale will be gutted, fans won’t show up to games…same ol’ Miami.

The rest of the schedule is manageable on paper sans a trip to Louisville, which we’d probably be underdogs in (as of now). It screams 9-3 for a competent coach, which is fine with me for year 3. The goal should be 10 wins, anything less than 9 is an absolute failure and deserves extensive questioning regarding Mario’s future here.
Florida - Labeled dumpster fire - Easy Win based on projections of Florida
FAMU - W
Ball State - W
USF - W
Cal - Finished 7th in the PAC-12 - W
GT - we beat them this year according to some - W
Louisville - ACC is cheeks - W
Duke - Manny coaches them - W
FSU - lost all their players, coached by Memphis Mike - W
VT - W
Wake - W
Syracuse - first year coaches can't win - W

@Go Canes!! -- Get in here and find me a loss on this schedule with a competent coach or give me that 15-0...

Yesterday showed me a couple of things

We have 0 depth for a game like this. We have all the twitchy playmakers we need, but not strong tough dudes who can anchor & hold the line.

Lou Cristobal starting over the massive guards from last year's class is criminal.

We did not play with any sense of pride yesterday. The young guys did not take advantage of huge opportunities to become penciled in as starters next year.

We were absolutely not Fuccin'

I love the canes so much it's honestly ridiculous. I didn't work yesterday so I could watch us play with our third string QB in the Pinstripe bowl against a 6-6 Rutgers. Im so blinded by love that when I see this schedule I can't help but think wow it's not possible to get any easier schedule.... We have to win 10/11 games. Those teams really really suck. However when I take my love goggles off the truth is we really really suck too. Objectively there is almost nothing promising about this staff or group of players. Recruiting yes of course fantastic but everything else is the same crap of the last 20 years. Haven't seen one thing that makes me think hmmm maybe we really can turn this thing around! Its an 8 win season and if we get every bounce and an all star QB maybe 10 wins.

Almost every game will be a one score game.

That’s why Mario’s offense is designed to create.

It’s almost impossible to forecast a season like that. You can’t forecast 50-50 coin flips. You can have 12 flips where it’s all heads. 12 where it’s all tails. And anything between.

That’s the problem with Mario’s offensive view. It’s designed to make things like bad luck, bad calls, and turnovers have a monumental impact of the game.

And I can’t tell you right now what the bad luck plays will be against UF. So I can’t forecast that game.

Advertisement
Back