2024 LB Depth and playing time

Size/speed/goon level of this LB group is up about 100x from Mannys guys
Standards Wow GIF by CBC

Advertisement
Advertisement
The main job of the defensive line is to keep the OL from getting to the linebackers. This one is on them.

Im talking solely about his inability to tackle their back. Not him getting blocked. Rutgers lil bowling ball back just broke Kiko tackles and made him look extremely soft!!!

I played linebacker from youth league to 2 years in college. im familiar with the Dline responsibilities. Kiko got bullied by that lil back.

Disagree... we have 2 classes of HIGHLY rated kids...we need to develop and get them on the field and experience...whats the point of even recruiting, if we're just gonna give their spots to portal transfers.... I only agree with portal if we are severely bad in a position group, or need a special immediate impact guy.... Kiko and Wes is solid enough base to work in these young studs..

Advertisement
Can he spell the word cat?

Judging by his personal foul in the bowl game and the rumblings of him not understanding the playbook, he may require more development.
Hey Mark, why don’t you start talking about not playing because he “freelances too much” while you’re at it

Advertisement
Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Kiko is currently our only proven LB. Wes can start and has shown he could be really good but even after two years still makes mistakes. Chase was my favorite pick of that 2021 group but has been injured more than healthy. You cannot count on him. Everyone else is a redshirt or true freshman. You can't have a 2-deep with 1 high level guy + 1 starter + 1 fragile hi-po + freshmen when you run 2 or 3 guys out there on any given snap. You have to bring in another Cloyd type.

As far as who steps up to become regular rotational players, yes, I do think Chase finally puts it all together and is a regular. After him, my bet is on Popo and Washington, followed by Bryant. Washington should be versatile enough to play any position, so I want to see him get a lot of snaps.

WTF happened to Chase Smith?

Injured his knee, went through camp and looked fine, was never seen again after September.

Advertisement
Im talking solely about his inability to tackle their back. Not him getting blocked. Rutgers lil bowling ball back just broke Kiko tackles and made him look extremely soft!!!

I played linebacker from youth league to 2 years in college. im familiar with the Dline responsibilities. Kiko got bullied by that lil back.
He sure did and frankly it was surprising. I know we were decimated on the DL in the bowl game but Kiko still got bullied as you have said. We still have a ways to go but I'm confident we will get there in terms of being able to physically dominate. These non playoff or New Years Bowl games are like glorified scrimmages now if that. We physically dominated Clemson then get pushed around by Rutgers. It was obvious that our players weren't into it.

Still think we look to add a KJ Cloyd type via the portal in the spring for veteran depth. That said, I think Wes should and will be on watch as far as potentially losing his starting spot to a younger player by midseason. Also not sure if you can include Pickett with this group. I believe he's going to be playing Edge.
I know D$ said that Pickett would play LB in an earlier edition of The Bank however according to Pickett Sr. He may have somewhat of a hybrid type role where he is at either DE or OLB depending on the front etc.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Kiko is currently our only proven LB. Wes can start and has shown he could be really good but even after two years still makes mistakes. Chase was my favorite pick of that 2021 group but has been injured more than healthy. You cannot count on him. Everyone else is a redshirt or true freshman. You can't have a 2-deep with 1 high level guy + 1 starter + 1 fragile hi-po + freshmen when you run 2 or 3 guys out there on any given snap. You have to bring in another Cloyd type.

As far as who steps up to become regular rotational players, yes, I do think Chase finally puts it all together and is a regular. After him, my bet is on Popo and Washington, followed by Bryant. Washington should be versatile enough to play any position, so I want to see him get a lot of snaps.
I was going to make Chase one of my picks to get a lot of PT but he has been hurt for so long that I just couldn't pull the trigger. I am still high on Chase Smith but I just don't know how dependable he can be. I'll be rooting for the kid and I would be very excited to see him finally break through after everything that kid had been through.

Advertisement
Back