2024 2024 DE Colin Simmons receives offer (commits to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Wasn't expecting him, but I just wish we knew what was going on. 5-7 blah blah blah. I get that argument too, but I just don't know anymore. I was really excited with this recruiting class. Now I hope for top 25. Like everyone says hopefully we get 8-9 wins and show some promise.

And if that God send QB actually does hit the portal, do we continue with the premise of “not overspending” when a Maalik Murphy-level talent will have every top program running up a bidding war to try to land him?

Or is the hypothetical portal QB many have alluded to for months more likely to be an Anthony Brown-level, decent but unspectacular stopgap?
I mean I don’t know if I’m allowed to answer this lol

When are y'all going to realize that just because WE THE FANS care about winning football games, that doesn't mean the University and the admin share our goals. What I've observed is that the people writing the checks and you guys are not on the same wavelength.

What have they DONE to show you otherwise? They will cheap out at every available turn. Don't get me wrong, they don't want to lose and fail... they just aren't willing to do what it takes to actually win anymore. The most important thing to them is Miami's clean image and making a quick profit, they don't care about building a champion and haven't done so since the 80's.

In a perfect world according to Miami's leaders, we would recruit choir boys and play Stanford and Notre Dame every week, while thousands of fans spend money and ask no questions.

They want your money, not your opinions. They don't care about you, they just want what's in your wallet and for you to pay, cheer, and shut up while they continue to pull the wool over your eyes with fake promises about all the big plans they have.

Unless something changes at the top, this program is in serious trouble. That's my opinion.
They didn't cheap out on the Mario hire, which is failing miserably at the moment.

Advertisement
Thing is, Mario was brought in knowing we need top tier talent to win. If the biggest obstacle in recruiting (money) isn't there for him to level the playing field and do his thing...well then we made the wrong choice at HC. Not his fault, the school's.

So it's time to pony up for the remaining targets and all can be fine. Mario should be the H2H winner in these battles 75% of the time or more if we're not getting out-bagged. His recruiting prowess can't off-set money, at least not consistently.
Mario is considered a great recruiter because he was a Bama (duh) and Oregon (with Nike money).

Now he's on a more level playing field and showing he is average.

Thing is, Mario was brought in knowing we need top tier talent to win. If the biggest obstacle in recruiting (money) isn't there for him to level the playing field and do his thing...well then we made the wrong choice at HC. Not his fault, the school's.

So it's time to pony up for the remaining targets and all can be fine. Mario should be the H2H winner in these battles 75% of the time or more if we're not getting out-bagged. His recruiting prowess can't off-set money, at least not consistently.
Having the most money to offer will be enough for some prospects but that doesn’t guarantee you sign kids. Kids also value trusting the coaching staff, believing in the program, and other factors in addition to money.

It’s been reported we broke the bank open for Inniss last year and missed because of football and development reasons.

I know if a lesser known kid who turned down a lot of money from us to go somewhere else also for football reasons.

Money can win you a lot of recruits but 5-7 hurts a lot and we need to re-establish credibility next year by winning and we’ll have a better chance with some of the kids who money isn’t the end all be all (assuming you have a competitive offer).

Advertisement
Mario is considered a great recruiter because he was a Bama (duh) and Oregon (with Nike money).

Now he's on a more level playing field and showing he is average.
He is not average dude, c'mon. Remove your emotion and look at it objectively.

At FIU, he signed the best classes in the history of the program. The 2012 class had at least 19 3-star recruits depending on the site, which is pretty insane for FIU.

He obviously won plenty of awards at Bama and did pretty well at Oregon, but you want to use money as a crutch. Ok....so how did he come in on two weeks' notice and grab multiple blue-chippers, followed that up with a top seven class at the University of Miami, and a top seven portal class? He just luck into those?

He may not be the best recruiter in the country, but he's **** good. He's a top 10 guy no doubt. Probably closer to Top 8. I mean think about the schools that win in recruiting and their bag structure. You don't think Mario would have the #1 class in the country if he was at Bama, UGA, Texas, Texas A&M, or Ohio State?

What changed from 2022 to 2023? Well, 5-7 did....but also no more Ruiz...who loved spending on high school kids and bragging about it. The rest of the boosters seem reluctant to fill the void...for the time being.

I think we’ve literally boxed ourselves in. Im not a mope and I think we’re closer to option 3 than we are to 1. 2. Is okay if Mario wins a few games he’s not supposed to win this season and that gives us some momentum. Problem is it’ll all come crashing down cause we won’t have a QB unless a god send hits the portal

There’s always going to be talented unproven QBs hitting the portal every year. Will Miami pony up for them is a different question.

Advertisement
I mean anyone think a 5 star kid from Texas was going anywhere but Texas?

They’re not letting anyone get out of there

Recruiting Is not going to well right now for us, to put It mildly.*sigh

It's only August.

i-didnt-hear-no-bell-randy-marsh.gif

Advertisement
As the pool of elite dlinemen gets thinned out I’ll put my 2 cents in.
Either the dudes that are left are the ones we’re getting or we are striking out on the positions of need and of premium importance.

QB, DB and DT

It’s seems that imo we already have two 5 stars in AJ and Lightfoot. If they were actually
ranked accordingly, this place wouldn’t be so miserable RK.

Imo, I don’t think we went after Simmons as hard as people think we did. But if we did, then this is a strong predictor of the outcome from now on.

Maybe Texas needed him more than we did. Maybe the staff wasn’t as impressed cause we may have better dudes on the team than Simmons.
Nyjalik Kelly and Bain set a very high bar. So that leaves what in reality is the real position of need and that’s DT and SDE

Breland, Stone, and Franklin are still available.
With Breland imo as moby fckng DCK!

And what is all this recruit inflation doing to both our commits and current players?

We might have to worry about the future negotiations for not only who you want but who we already have on our team.

You can’t just continue to write checks for incoming players as well as current players who you want to keep cause they get better nil offers.

As these schools get more desperate with huge booster bases this could get ugly really fast if the perception of not having a competitive nil isn’t a perception at all.

And then of course there is still the stank that hasn’t washed off from the last 20 years and especially last season.
A matching offer might not be enough soap to wash off that stench.
And unfortunately, an 8 win season might still be too stanky for a matching offer to make a top player pick us considering what they’re allegedly offering out there.

We need to realize that uga and Bama are losing 5 stars because of nil.
Let that sink in and chew on it and absorb it. The two biggest bag teams are losing blue chippers due to nil. That’s insane. Even osu couldn’t land Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back