2024 D-Line Possible Depth & Versatility

I’m personally expecting WB to take that next step this year.

Have not looked at any tape or highlights etc.

Assuming WB could step up and master that position well enoough to rationalize keeping JHH or Cook off the field… The question left for me in that scenario is who would be the other LB next to Kiko?
Aguirre?

Advertisement
We still have a weak interior line unit with too many questions hoping for people to step up...this and our LB unit outside of F.M scares me.

I love the 3-3-5 look as it helps get more of our young LB's onto the field. The battle between Kelly & Alston will be a good one. And as other posters have alluded to the DT position will be vital. We have decent depth now but we're gonna need a young guy or two to take a step forward (Moten, Horton, or Scott).

Advertisement
Need Moten and Horton to make big leaps. Love what we have at DE.

Horton is the dude. Moten is not a havoc wreaker - more like a quality rotational guy.

Horton has the potential to be a havoc wreaker on the inside.

Very curious if Campbell is any good. His contract year is this year and it would be icing on the cake for us if he can make some splash plays as a rotational guy. Freaky athletic ability.

Advertisement

Assuming WB could step up and master that position well enoough to rationalize keeping JHH or Cook off the field… The question left for me in that scenario is who would be the other LB next to Kiko?
Wes regressed last year I’m not holding my breath

Horton is the dude. Moten is not a havoc wreaker - more like a quality rotational guy.

Horton has the potential to be a havoc wreaker on the inside.

Very curious if Campbell is any good. His contract year is this year and it would be icing on the cake for us if he can make some splash plays as a rotational guy. Freaky athletic ability.

How do you know Horton is the dude? Not attacking you, legit question. I've read this, but have yet to see any real evidence. I definitely hope you are right.

Advertisement
Did he regress as an OLB 4-2-5?

Or when he was playing jack in the 3-3-5?

Or was it both?

I appreciate your input, would be even more grateful if you could elaborate. Thanks 🙏

I actually thought he started getting better at the end of the season. But I can't point to anything specific. Just seemed to diagnose and get to the ball faster (though not as fast as desired). He hasn't lived up to his billing yet, that's for sure.

Couple things.

1) if healthy, Mesidor is starting opposite of Bain in a 4-2-5

2) our DE depth looks very good to great

3) our DT talent is meh af but at least we have bodies. We desperately need Horton or Moten to flash.

DT is a real weak spot imo

CJ Clark, Marley Cook, Thomas Gore don't move the needle and we have about 15 DEs.

I propose moving Mesidor and Bain to DT and unleashing Blount, Lightfoot, Wayne, Kelly, Alston all over everyone's ***.

Advertisement

I don’t think the decision to go to or to incorporate more of the 3-3-5 is solely dependent on Wes. I think the biggest factor would be who the Sam LB would be in that look. For example, if Bobby Washington just explodes in spring practice as that 3rd LB then that really opens up what Guidry can do in terms of versatility. I use Bobby Washington as an example but it could be any of the young LBs. I think Washington is a better bet because of his tremendous physical tools. If the light bulb comes on for BW then this defense gets that much more explosive.

Another thing to look for this Spring is the weak side DE in the 4-2-5. At this point it’s time for Kelly to put up or get passed up. We desperately need explosion from that DE position whose name isn’t Reuben Bain. We can’t just expect Bain to do it all like he did last year. We need a DE to be able to provide an explosive pass rush when Bain is either resting or playing DT on obvious passing downs.

The battle between Kelly and Alston for those reps will be very interesting to watch. The true freshmen Cole McConathy and Marquis Lightfoot both being EE and able to participate in spring will be a fantastic opportunity for either or both to show that they can compete for meaningful reps at DE. Between all of this greatly improved depth at DE and the possibility of a pass rushing threat emerging at Jack LB the overall pass rush should be greatly improved this season. We are a year and another recruiting cycle away from being dominant at DE.

DT isn’t quite there yet although talent and depth have certainly been improved. DT is still too reliant on one year portal rentals and depth players having to play too many snaps. The elite talent is all true freshmen. The hope here is that CJ Clark plays 100% to expectations and that JHH continues to play at a high level. Marley Cook needs to produce but the most significant development would be if Josh Horton has his coming out party breakout type year. We are still a year or two away here assuming that we continue to recruit the position as well as or better than we did in the 2024 cycle. The 2024 cycle and the way the staff rallied to finish strong was the biggest story of the recruiting season.

Advertisement
Back