2024-2025 Roster has been updated

At least a couple of those last 7-10 transfers out are going to be painful.

Advertisement
Random observations:

Cook being 6'2 298 pleases me

How has JHH stayed at like 285 for the past 3 years...

Mcconathy at 6'5 and 225lbs and Lightfoot at 6'5 and 230lbs is surprising. Would have thought cole weighed about 20 lbs more than lightfoot.

Blount at 310lbs is pretty wild. He doesnt look like it which is good.

Dylan Day and Isiah Thomas both beign 6'2 200 lbs is great to see. Hopefully thomas recovers from his injury. I'm sky high on Dylan Day though.

Portal Subtractions:
QB: 1 QB will transfer out (crowded room)
RB: 1 RB will transfer out (crowded room)
WR: Redding and Kirk
OL: Zion, Jonathan Denis, and probably someone unhappy with their depth chart position

LB: One LB transfers out for playing time elsewhere
DL: Should be Gore but most likely not. One guy probably leaves due to playing time concerns
CB: Freeney
S: Balom

Thats 11 players leaving us at 81 scholarships and 4 availble for the spring portal. WR1, 2 DB's and a RB.
Losing Freeney would leave us razor thin at CB. We better be prepared to take 2 portal CBs.

I've never understood the thought process behind stating inaccurate height/weight numbers. Isn't it specifically someone's job to take these measurements and be as accurate as possible? I mean, what's the benefit to the team of anyone claiming to be 3-4 inches taller or 30 lbs heavier than they actually are? Can anyone in the know like explain this rationale?

Advertisement
I know you have someone in mind. Who is it or who are they?

Never had insider info. I am just looking at the roster and for the first time in 20 years can’t find 7 kids that won’t make a meaningful difference if they leave, much less 10. And I know we’re not done in the portal so it will be 10 not 7.

Would not shock me to see us lose a marginal starter like a Williams or a Moten or a Kelly. Will the Washington brothers be willing to wait their turn? How about that RB room? I’m just speculating. There aren’t enough Reddings or Baloms left on roster to not feel pain come May.

Never had insider info. I am just looking at the roster and for the first time in 20 years can’t find 7 kids that won’t make a meaningful difference if they leave, much less 10. And I know we’re not done in the portal so it will be 10 not 7.

Would not shock me to see us lose a marginal starter like a Williams or a Moten or a Kelly. Will the Washington brothers be willing to wait their turn? How about that RB room? I’m just speculating. There aren’t enough Reddings or Baloms left on roster to not feel pain come May.
There 100% is enough baloms and reddings on the roster to cut. Its not an issue of whether or not there is enough dead weight (which there is plenty of) but if some loss "hurts" it would come for those not willing to take their time.

One QB not named Cam Ward can leave, Ajay Allen, Kirk and Redding, Zion, Sagapolo, Denis, Lou, Tinilau, Campbell and Gore Daylen Russell, Malik Bryant, one LB wouldnt sweat whoever would leave, Balom and Freeney. All of those are dead weight and believe me their abscence would not be noticed on the team. Thats 16 people btw so choose your 5 favorites or excuses why you would be sad to see them go and pretend you didnt see me name them and that would still leave us with 81 schollys to get 4 people from the portal.

There 100% is enough baloms and reddings on the roster to cut. Its not an issue of whether or not there is enough dead weight (which there is plenty of) but if some loss "hurts" it would come for those not willing to take their time.

One QB not named Cam Ward can leave, Ajay Allen, Kirk and Redding, Zion, Sagapolo, Denis, Lou, Tinilau, Campbell and Gore Daylen Russell, Malik Bryant, one LB wouldnt sweat whoever would leave, Balom and Freeney. All of those are dead weight and believe me their abscence would not be noticed on the team. Thats 16 people btw so choose your 5 favorites or excuses why you would be sad to see them go and pretend you didnt see me name them and that would still leave us with 81 schollys to get 4 people from the portal.
Daylen Russell hasn't even enrolled yet if I'm not mistaken. Malik Bryant was a true freshman last year and you're saying he is dead weight? Tinilau was also a true freshman last year. I wouldn't exactly call Ajay Allen dead weight but I could see him leaving. The rest I agree with.

Advertisement
I'm proud of us for knowing exactly how many extra scholarship players we have right now (7). On other boards, and here in the past, people have been wildly off. But somehow in this thread everyone is spot on.

Daylen Russell hasn't even enrolled yet if I'm not mistaken. Malik Bryant was a true freshman last year and you're saying he is dead weight? Tinilau was also a true freshman last year. I wouldn't exactly call Ajay Allen dead weight but I could see him leaving. The rest I agree with.
I said pick 5 of your favorite players from this list and pretend i didnt name them. You just named 4 that you disagree with so there you go those 4 you picked dont have to be cut and we would still be at -12.

Advertisement
I've never understood the thought process behind stating inaccurate height/weight numbers. Isn't it specifically someone's job to take these measurements and be as accurate as possible? I mean, what's the benefit to the team of anyone claiming to be 3-4 inches taller or 30 lbs heavier than they actually are? Can anyone in the know like explain this rationale?
We lied re HS jits to get lazy college recruiters to look at them. They'd filter guys by height/weight and wouldn't take anyone under X and Y.
For a college? Makes no **** sense. Combine gonna get your chit anyway

I stand corrected. There are names in your list that will not be in the consideration set this year like Russell, Tinilau and Bryant. But your point is well made. Coach has 7+ non-game-impacting guys available to get under the 85 limit.

Advertisement
Not correct. He's been 205 since he first arrived. The heights and weights are never dependable.

Very true, did a comparison. The weights are definitely unreliable.

From the 3/15/2022 roster ; of 20 players still on the roster only 5 had a weight change.
From the 3/08/2023 roster ; of 47players still on the roster only 7 had a weight change.

Advertisement
Back