2023 Transfer portal

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/04/17/ncaa-basketball-10-teams-target-memphis-transfer-emoni-bates/

Miami Hurricanes​

The Hurricanes were in the mix a year ago and reportedly had a legit shot at landing him. So after the program had a big campaign and is coming off an Elite 8 appearance, they could look even more appealing for Bates now. This option would allow the wing to play in the ACC but still fly a bit under the radar at Miami compared to the likes of Duke and North Carolina.

Miami won’t have leading scorer Kameron McGusty at the wings so there’s a clear need for another offensive weapon. With four-star AJ Casey also a combo forward, Bates could play either forward position and be a focal point of the offense. If familiarity matters this time around, head coach Jim Larranaga may have the leg up in recruitment 2.0.

Advertisement

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/04/17/ncaa-basketball-10-teams-target-memphis-transfer-emoni-bates/

Miami Hurricanes​

The Hurricanes were in the mix a year ago and reportedly had a legit shot at landing him. So after the program had a big campaign and is coming off an Elite 8 appearance, they could look even more appealing for Bates now. This option would allow the wing to play in the ACC but still fly a bit under the radar at Miami compared to the likes of Duke and North Carolina.

Miami won’t have leading scorer Kameron McGusty at the wings so there’s a clear need for another offensive weapon. With four-star AJ Casey also a combo forward, Bates could play either forward position and be a focal point of the offense. If familiarity matters this time around, head coach Jim Larranaga may have the leg up in recruitment 2.0.

I'd be more than happy letting him be someone else's problem. Its not just that he sucked last year, its that Memphis was hilariously better when he wasn't around.

Adding Norchad would be awesome but we’re losing a lot of size and playing bigger teams wasn’t easy last year even with the current size we’re losing. Norchad is a rebounding machine but is he going to be just as productive against more talented bigs?

Maybe Bill Courtney can get another kid out of Chicago. With Caputo gone and Irving being inexperienced, Courtney will need to take on a bigger role. Unless the new assistant coach is a home run hitting recruiter. A skill development guy would be good also.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Updated. Llewellyn chose Clemson. I'm not sure if we are involved with Bates and Young anymore. Very short list as of now

Nijel Pack (visited this weekend)
Norchad Omier (visited this weekend)

Maybe
Manny Bates
Jahmir Young
Updated list. Even shorter now. Sounds like Young is Maryland bound.

Nijel Pack (has visited Miami, Purdue, and Ohio State)
Norchad Omier (final 4 of Miami, FSU, Texas Tech, and Georgetown)
Manny Bates (anyone heard any updates lately?)

I really hope Pack is Miami bound. Otherwise, I hope we have a backup plan for a portal PG.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Larranaga is still talking about his Elite Eight run. He'll get to the portal in September
Good to see the elite 8 run hasn't diminished the usual off-season slander. Pack and Omier both visited and neither have made decisions yet. Being in battles for portal players usually isn't L's style. Most transfers are practically enrolled before we hear the staff was interested. I guess the question is do you want L to move on from two of the more highly ranked transfers or wait for them to make a decision before filling limited spots?

Advertisement
Are we still in it for the Gator 5 star decommit? Drawing blank on name. If so that only leaves us with 1 transfer spot if we get him? 2 if we don’t? I’m assuming Gak is gone.

Advertisement
Back