2023 Transfer portal

Advertisement

A lateral transfer makes no sense. That defeats the purpose of the rule.

VMI to Chattanooga is not even close to a lateral transfer. The only thing that they have in common is that they are both in the SoCon.

But VMI is a military school that is inarguably one of the two worst jobs in the SoCon (with The Citadel) and hasn't made an NCAA Tournament since the 1970s, while Chattanooga is arguably the best program in the conference (it is either them or ETSU) that is coming off of a 27 win season and a conference championship/NCAA bid. They are leaps and bounds ahead of VMI as a program.

That doesn't even take into account that Chattanooga's new coach was his coach at VMI last season, so that relationship is already there.

VMI to Chattanooga is not even close to a lateral transfer. The only thing that they have in common is that they are both in the SoCon.

But VMI is a military school that is inarguably one of the two worst jobs in the SoCon (with The Citadel) and hasn't made an NCAA Tournament since the 1970s, while Chattanooga is arguably the best program in the conference (it is either them or ETSU) that is coming off of a 27 win season and a conference championship/NCAA bid. They are leaps and bounds ahead of VMI as a program.

That doesn't even take into account that Chattanooga's new coach was his coach at VMI last season, so that relationship is already there.
Keep an eye on Samford. Bucky ball has that program on the up and up. Won't be the least bit surprised if they win the SoCon next season.

Advertisement

You almost convinced me but I standby my statement.
If you are going to transfer, transfer up for better competition or more playing time.
That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Keep an eye on Samford. Bucky ball has that program on the up and up. Won't be the least bit surprised if they win the SoCon next season.
He's done well to get Samford where they were in year two. Even if some of the coaches who helped build the SoCon up to where they are as one of the better true one-bid leagues in the country (guys like Steve Forbes, Mike Young, Wes Miller, Niko Medved, etc.) have moved on, this is a difficult league right now to take a program near the bottom like Samford was and get them to be legitimate competitors.

A lateral transfer makes no sense. That defeats the purpose of the rule.

What year? VMI is not for the faint of heart. You don't have to commission but what is the point of going there if you don't?

Must be comfortable playing at this level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I would hope we've learned from the Jalen Duren situation. It's not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. You have to make the call to this kid.

If you truly have 3 scholarships available, I would have contacted over a dozen players by now.
I guess all of the commits will come at once.

One of Chattanooga's best players, David Jean-Baptiste went to Norland (he hit the halfcourt shot to win the So Con). There other best players last year were transfers from Wright State and Kansas.
Which goes back to what I and others on here have been harping about for a while now and that's that our staff has to do a better job of identifying and recruiting the local talent. It's mind-boggling as to how we keep seeing kids who weren't recruited by Miami go off to other places and do their thing. Larranaga and crew have to start prioritizing our state. By no means am I saying only recruit Florida, but to not have a single FL player on the roster is baffling, especially considering the roster problems we've had over the last few years.

If you truly have 3 scholarships available, I would have contacted over a dozen players by now.
I guess all of the commits will come at once.
We are about a week removed from the end of the CBB season. There are going to be multiple waves of transfers between now and the summer. I'm fine being picky

Advertisement
Back