2023 Recruiting

Advertisement
Replacing Wong and Miller will be very tough. Going to need some really good portal players. After getting Pack and Omier I have faith.

Miami will find replacements(L has a sharp eye for talent), but keep in mind that odds are Joseph will continue to develop, same with Wooga. I wouldn't be shocked if Wooga started to fill Wong's role next year, with Pack and Joseph being starters alongside Omier(If he returns) and someone like Casey. Miami is deep as all ****, there are talented players on the Miami bench that can't even break into the rotation right now because minutes come at a premium. Watson is a guy that will show out once he starts getting consistent minutes.

Miami will find replacements(L has a sharp eye for talent), but keep in mind that odds are Joseph will continue to develop, same with Wooga. I wouldn't be shocked if Wooga started to fill Wong's role next year, with Pack and Joseph being starters alongside Omier(If he returns) and someone like Casey. Miami is deep as all ****, there are talented players on the Miami bench that can't even break into the rotation right now because minutes come at a premium. Watson is a guy that will show out once he starts getting consistent minutes.

Watson gonna be a star. It’s crazy to have this conversation cus this year is too much fun to think about next year, but Joseph, Pack, Wooga, Casey, Omier… with HB, Aire, Watson and Jovanovich… is a pretty **** exciting roster on its own.

I think this year’s class is gonna prove to be an absolute home run. The only question now is what happens to Jakai.

Nwoko excels at the 3 things (rebounds, contests shots & runs the floor) Larranaga likes to see in big men. How that will translate to the college game will mostly be determined on how well Nwoko adjusts to the physicality at the next level. Hardest part for freshmen coming into college is that adjustment. The ones who handle it early, make the transition smoother. I haven't been privy to attend a practice this year, but I'd be willing to bet most of our ballyhooed freshmen (particularly Aire) from the 22 class' lack of PT thus far may have something to do with this. Emoni Bates is also a great example of an uber talented and skilled player who struggled with that at Memphis during his freshman year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nwoko excels at the 3 things (rebounds, contests shots & runs the floor) Larranaga likes to see in big men. How that will translate to the college game will mostly be determined on how well Nwoko adjusts to the physicality at the next level. Hardest part for freshmen coming into college is that adjustment. The ones who handle it early, make the transition smoother. I haven't been privy to attend a practice this year, but I'd be willing to bet most of our ballyhooed freshmen (particularly Aire) from the 22 class' lack of PT thus far may have something to do with this. Emoni Bates is also a great example of an uber talented and skilled player who struggled with that at Memphis during his freshman year.

From his highlights, it looks like Nwoko has great hands and touch around the rim. Obviously a completely different body type, but Reggie Johnson was a star (when he was healthy and not in foul trouble) largely due to his hands.

Nwoko will be an impact player in the post and will compete for playing time next year, he's a bit raw still but he is a beast around the hoop

I think you’re right but I’ll never expect a freshman to be an immediate impact player. I want to be careful how i say this because this is NOT a criticism: Coach L being one of the best development coaches in America, he makes it hard for a freshman to get a lot of burn out of the gate. Freshman have to earn floor time and they have to perform to stay on the court. That’s how you develop great players - you don’t just “let them play”. Also, despite comments in the past about “street ball” (as much bs then as now) - the high ball screen offense that is Coach L’s bread and butter requires high IQ/experienced players to be run effectively.

Replacing Wong and Miller will be very tough. Going to need some really good portal players. After getting Pack and Omier I have faith.

I actually think Casey and Watson could replace them and make a sizable contribution next season.
No, it will not be an exact replacement but both of those guys are very talented.
I feel pretty good about Pack, Wooga, Watson, Casey and Omier next season as a starting 5.
That would give you Joseph, Beverly, Robinson, Walker, and probably Aire as your second unit.
Jankovich and Nwoko somewhere in the mix.
With one scholarship available for the best transfer available if you decide to use it.
I would realistically say that group would make the NCAA tournament again, for the 3rd year in a row.

New to this thread.....Casey has a lot of development to do before he can even touch Miller's production this year. I actually like Watson's game a lot and i think he can contribute right away. But we are gonna need a transfer or 2 (not sure how many we can acquire) if we want to have a season similar to what we are having right now.

Advertisement
Not sure about that. His George Mason Final Four team had a Omier-like undersized, wide body 6'7 Center, and a bunch of good Guards and Wings.

You don’t get elite 6’11 guys at George Mason.

L very obviously does not WANT to be undersized. He just gets the best players he can and makes the best of what he gets.

I promise L wants Aire to own the post and Nwoko to come in and contribute.

L very obviously does not WANT to be undersized. He just gets the best players he can and makes the best of what he gets.

I agree with this take but while we’re here. In my dream of dreams, Casey steps in and fills the Miller role next year by… oh, let’s say 65%. And the extra seasoning that Pack and Omier and the rest have will cover.

Don't disagree.

So far, we haven't ever gotten elite 6'11 guys at Miami either. Successful bigs, like Jekiri, were very much projects. We really don't know what we have in Aire. (Or any other of last years' class -- time will tell.)

Advertisement
Really hope we can get Sorber in the 24' class. Not 6'11 but 6'9 250 with a huge wing span and not a sloppy 250. He will lean out a bit and could be a match up nightmare. Might still have a small growth spurt since his brother is 6'11. He is going to be a monster. I like that we dont get many 1 and dones and I think he needs 2-3 years to refine some things to be a 3/4 in the NBA. I know we are getting a visit after his season is done.

I want everyone to sit back and appreciate this thread and all the comments of how players will develop because our staff develops players as well as any staff in the country. Every single year we see players improve. Wooga adds a consistent mid-range jump shot; the lost art in basketball. Miller improves his 3 point shooting and his right hand close to the basket. Just 2 examples of how well this staff teaches the game and develops its players. All that to say we should EXPECT current players like Casey and Watson and Joseph to continue to add to their games.

In today’s day of 1 and done isn’t it beautiful to have our team coached by a staff that makes players better in college?

Last edited:
I want everyone to sit back and appreciate this thread and all the comments of how players will develop because our staff develops players as well as any staff in the country. Every single year we see players improve. Wooga adds a consistent mid-range jump shot; the lost art in basketball. Miller improves his 3 point shooting and his right hand close to the basket. Just 2 examples of how well this staff teaches the game and develops its players. All that to say we should EXPECT current players like Casey and Watson and Joseph to continue to add to their games.

In today’s day of 1 and done isn’t it beautiful to have our team coached by a staff that makes players better in college?
You forgot to mention Wong’s much improved 3-point shooting. Last season it was brick city for the most part from 3 for him. This season he is consistently knocking the 3 down. That is development.

Advertisement

We're also seeing Pack's development as the season progresses. Earlier in the season, when his 3's weren't falling, he was a net liability. Now he's finding more ways to score (mid range jumpers, attacking the rim). He's also improving as a distributor, and while he won't ever be a lockdown defender, I'm seeing him improve on that side too.

Really the only player in recent memory who was a big disappointment in terms of lack of development/improvement is Anthony Walker. Kid is an athletic freak but still does not have a good feel for the game or seem to understand what he is good at.

We're also seeing Pack's development as the season progresses. Earlier in the season, when his 3's weren't falling, he was a net liability. Now he's finding more ways to score (mid range jumpers, attacking the rim). He's also improving as a distributor, and while he won't ever be a lockdown defender, I'm seeing him improve on that side too.

Really the only player in recent memory who was a big disappointment in terms of lack of development/improvement is Anthony Walker. Kid is an athletic freak but still does not have a good feel for the game or seem to understand what he is good at.

I do think Walker has improved significantly (he was a turnover machine and defensive turnstile 2 years ago)… but he’s still miles away from playing the game of basketball at a level commensurate with his athletic ability.

Advertisement
Back