2023 2023 (Reclassified) 5* Desmond Ricks

Advertisement
Advertisement

nervous spongebob squarepants GIF

Saban right now with another commit Mario trying to flip

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Chesapeake (Va.) IMG Academy cornerback Desmond Ricks is nowhere near a college decision, but four programs are standing out in his recruitment right now.

The No. 1 overall player in the On3 Consensus made recent visits to Miami and LSU, and holds both in very high regard next to Alabama and Florida.

“They went good, I really enjoyed both places,” he told On3. “They’re definitely top contenders.”

The visit to LSU was his first, and he got the chance to connect with head coach Brian Kelly, as well as defensive backs coach Robert Steeples.

“I was just learning more about their legacy,” Ricks said. “Me and the new coaching staff, I like the vibe I’m getting from them. I feel like it’s going to be a special place real soon. … [Coach Steeples], he’s cool, I really think he knows what it’s like [to be in the league] with him being younger. He is easy to talk to and definitely knows what he’s talking about. We got to sit down and watch film.”

This visit was also his first visit to Miami with the Hurricanes’ new staff under Mario Cristobal. And they very much made an impact him.

“It was great there, they showed major love. Everybody there, it was just love. Took pictures with the whole coaching staff, took pictures with Coach Cristobal. I felt like a real need there. … I feel like he’s a good guy and has a great plan ahead for Miami. They’ll definitely be back winning soon.”

Alabama, Florida also in Desmond Ricks’ top group

The other two schools Ricks is high on, Alabama and Florida, have strong connections to him within their coaching staffs, and namely at the defensive backs position.

“Coach Corey Raymond, I can’t turn him down,” Ricks said of the Gators’ first-year DB coach. “He’s the GOAT at the end of the day. So it’s all about getting developed, and there that wouldn’t be a question.”

It’s a similar scenario at Alabama with defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, who came over from Miami in the offseason.

“Same thing with the whole coaching staff there,” Ricks said. “T-Rob all the way to Saban, all pouring into me. And I know that will just make me a better player.”

What abruptly changed is he came to his senses & realized the leverage he has as the #1 ranked CB in the 24 class.

He’s gonna be in line to get a BIG BIG pay day on the NIL market & given how FSU already got flat out gaffled for Travis Hunter Jr last class, the word is already out that they can’t keep up with big money schools to keep Elite prospects in the fold.

So, for a kid like Desmond Ricks he know **** well he not about to waste his time at a dumpster fire like Trailerhasse for the next 3 years knowing full well that Norvell is more than likely getting fired this year anyway lol

It’s just a smart business move on his part, regardless of how much he may of grew up a Noles fan, it makes no sense to commit to a school like that when you can go to Bama or UF & get developed by one of the two best CB’s coaches in the business & become a 1st round draft pick in 3 years.
LCE...agree with the overall premise of your post (above)...but we all need to change our perspective on development going forward. Miami now has an amazing new staff (incredibly deep & experienced on defense). Plus, input from a HOF/greatest ever at the Safety position (plus a HOF on the DL). We should clearly get back to developing players at a super high level going forward. Nobody used to develop players like we did. The Russell Maryland types were developed at the U and went from relative unknown to #1 pick in the draft (THE #1 pick overall not just a first round pick). Plus, we had more players in the NFL than anyone else...and most of them produced at a really high level in the NFL. We had stars in the NFL (not just a large number of role players). Our players shined at the next level.

It's a new day. Let's all forget the last few coaches we've had and rid ourselves of the mindset that we don't develop players at the same level as those other two h!@k schools you mentioned in your post. WITH THIS NEW STAFF (great defensive minds and new S&C coach) plus HOFers readily available to share their valuable insights on what it takes to succeed at the highest level, we will develop players better than anyone else going forward.

Advertisement
Back