2023 2023 DE Enow Etta receives offer

Advertisement
Why? Miami can have the same impact in him educationally just as much as any of those schools.

As a Stanford alum (Graduate School), I can very much appreciate how a family like his would take that position. Saw a lot of the same as an undergrad at Yale as well. There's a certain point of view from first gen american families that leads them to focus on certain names in the college process, rightly or wrongly. It just is, and it's a lot to overcome if you're trying to change deeply rooted perceptions.

As a Stanford alum (Graduate School), I can very much appreciate how a family like his would take that position. Saw a lot of the same as an undergrad at Yale as well. There's a certain point of view from first gen american families that leads them to focus on certain names in the college process, rightly or wrongly. It just is, and it's a lot to overcome if you're trying to change deeply rooted perceptions.
I mean I would agree that Yale would be a different ball game but my family is first gen too and my parents are extremely educated but they are so supportive about me becoming a firefighter and just going to Broward college to get promotional purposes. Just my take.

I mean I would agree that Yale would be a different ball game but my family is first gen too and my parents are extremely educated but they are so supportive about me becoming a firefighter and just going to Broward college to get promotional purposes. Just my take.
We are nowhere close to Stanford or Michigan educationally imo.

We’re worse off than we were 5-10 years ago, and even back then we weren’t amongst the top 15. They are - no shame in it.

Stanford is right up there with Yale. Michigan has gotten extremely competitive and much more difficult to get into as a non athlete as well over the last 5 years. I am a Miami grad from out of state and no offense to any others but it is generally not seen as in the same tier as either of those schools outside of Florida. And of course certain degrees from Miami carry huge weight and it is certainly a good enough university to lead to wildly successful careers.

Advertisement
Stanford is right up there with Yale. Michigan has gotten extremely competitive and much more difficult to get into as a non athlete as well over the last 5 years. I am a Miami grad from out of state and no offense to any others but it is generally not seen as in the same tier as either of those schools outside of Florida. And of course certain degrees from Miami carry huge weight and it is certainly a good enough university to lead to wildly successful careers.
I just don’t get the whole approval thing. My father wanted me to go to U Miami Business school. I went to the Coral Springs fire academy instead Lol. He still pinned me when I was hired and He pinned me when I was promoted to LT.

it's like anything. there's always exceptions, and everyone is different. there's no right answer that one person can decide for another. i'm just saying that many kids from those families i met were at Yale due to parental expectations (and perceptions), even if it might not have been the "optimal" school, or the "right choice" for them.

just because it's Yale, doesn't mean everyone should want to go there. in fact, as much as i enjoyed my time there, and am a proud alum, i can certainly understand and support why some people who have the opportunity to attend, might choose to go elsewhere.

We are nowhere close to Stanford or Michigan educationally imo.

We’re worse off than we were 5-10 years ago, and even back then we weren’t amongst the top 15. They are - no shame in it.
Stanford is tied with Harvard and Yale for the #3 national university rankings with Michigan at #26 and U of Miami at #55. Stanford acceptance % = 5%. Amazing. UM is 28% which is still very selective.

Advertisement
I just don’t get the whole approval thing. My father wanted me to go to U Miami Business school. I went to the Coral Springs fire academy instead Lol. He still pinned me when I was hired and He pinned me when I was promoted to LT.
I agree that if you work hard and make good decisions, you absolutely do not need to attend a “top” school to be successful. But the odds are definitely more favorable at some schools vs others. Either way, props to this kid for earning the choice 99.99% of people won’t.

Where you attend school matters. To think otherwise is foolish.

Sure you can “make it” attending a mediocre institution (there are countless examples), but for every one of those who succeed there are hundreds who end up with mediocre careers.

Disclosure: I attended The University of Miami for undergrad and an Ivy League institution for grad school. There is a massive difference.

Where you attend school matters. To think otherwise is foolish.

Sure you can “make it” attending a mediocre institution (there are countless examples), but for every one of those who succeed there are hundreds who end up with mediocre careers.

Disclosure: I attended The University of Miami for undergrad and an Ivy League institution for grad school. There is a massive difference.
Grad school takes it to another level.
I have 2 friends with post grad degrees. Both from U Penn.
Those MBA’s and law degrees from Ivey league schools are a stepping stone into another world.
For regular bachelor degrees? Not that much.

Advertisement
Those MBA’s and law degrees from Ivey league schools are a stepping stone into another world.
Agreed. Investment banking, private equity, VC and legal fields all put a ton of weight on the prestige of your graduate degree. I'm not sure if it is the same with law degrees, but I'd argue that after the top 20 or so MBA programs there is a major drop off in ROI. It has nothing to do with the school/coursework, and everything to do with the networks that are available to graduates from those programs. There are obviously exceptions but that's my opinion based off advice given to me and results I've seen amongst friends and old classmates

My buddy went to Harvard undergrad, no graduate school. He doesn’t even work hard anymore but he gets paid a ton and gets most roles he applies for. He studied history and is now the lead of a software engineering team at Oracle only because of Harvard. I’m a software engineer and he’s accomplished 100x less than me in that area but he gets paid over 300k simply because of Harvard.

Advertisement
My buddy went to Harvard undergrad, no graduate school. He doesn’t even work hard anymore but he gets paid a ton and gets most roles he applies for. He studied history and is now the lead of a software engineering team at Oracle only because of Harvard. I’m a software engineer and he’s accomplished 100x less than me in that area but he gets paid over 300k simply because of Harvard.
It comes down to networking. That graduate degree will get you both on the professional but people undersell the undergrad from a networking standpoint. That is some of the most memorable times any individual has in their lives and can set up connections that last a life time. If you had the chance to go to an Ivy League you are experiencing those years with the offspring of the country’s elite. The connections made there would be game changers.

I should’ve added with exception to ivy undergrad.

😢

Attachments

• F375A10A-A580-4EE5-8D7F-4CD29E46F3A0.jpeg
    F375A10A-A580-4EE5-8D7F-4CD29E46F3A0.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 574
Advertisement
Back