2022 2022 Recruiting

Can some tell me what kind of play AJ Casey? Comparison? Is he a skilled offensive player or does he just have a high motor and runs the floor well?
Thank you y’all
One of the consensus top 4 HS players in the state of Illinois. That bodes well. From The NBA Draft Room:

"A.J. Casey is a skilled combo forward with big time upside. At 6-8 and probably still growing he’s got good size and excellent agility, to go along with awesome athleticism.

Casey has good instincts for the game, which really show up on the defensive end, where he reads the play well, gives good help defense and has good timing as a shot blocker.

He gets a lot of his buckets as a result of his high end athleticism, whether it’s running the floor and getting transition buckets or following up shots and scoring off the offensive glass. And he’s a sensational dunker who plays way above the rim.

He also shows the makings of a turn around jumper, mid range game and the ability to beat his man off the dribble. And he shows promise as an outside shooter with a nice looking release and the ability to hit the step back 3."

Advertisement
One of the consensus top 4 HS players in the state of Illinois. That bodes well. From The NBA Draft Room:

"A.J. Casey is a skilled combo forward with big time upside. At 6-8 and probably still growing he’s got good size and excellent agility, to go along with awesome athleticism.

Casey has good instincts for the game, which really show up on the defensive end, where he reads the play well, gives good help defense and has good timing as a shot blocker.

He gets a lot of his buckets as a result of his high end athleticism, whether it’s running the floor and getting transition buckets or following up shots and scoring off the offensive glass. And he’s a sensational dunker who plays way above the rim.

He also shows the makings of a turn around jumper, mid range game and the ability to beat his man off the dribble. And he shows promise as an outside shooter with a nice looking release and the ability to hit the step back 3."
Sounds like a more polished Dewan Hernandez in some ways.

1640216397110.png

...so at least he will be one of our better Free Throw shooters. As for 3-pointers, except for Kam, he is probably par for the horse. (see what I did there?)

Advertisement
Maybe these two kids didn't want to stay in Florida since they didn't end up at UF or FSU either.
Hope this isn't the excuse our staff is using for not going after either player prior to their senior years of HS. LOL!!!

Seriously speaking though, Udeh liked Miami early on, but the staff couldn't sell him on developing him into an NBA center. And don't know how true this is (hard to imagine but with today's youth you never know), but word on the street was that Mitchell was just following his girlfriend to Texas. She also happened to sign with their women's basketball team. The things kid's do for love.... LOL!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Another shooter would not hurt the team. Miami has a scholarship available. Sure, another 5 would be better but it looks like Miami might be a small ball team for the rest of Coach L's tenure.

Did we initially recruit him?
A moderate amount of checking this out suggests NO. Also, doesn't seem to be an especially super-hot prospect; 4-stars would be a stretch, more like a high "3". Then again, we need what we need, and then some, and there were a dozen or so decent teams (not Miami) in his recruitment mix. 6'6" maybe 7" now and IMG-Bradenton.

Did we initially recruit him?
Saw Batchelor a few times last spring/summer. Played well when I saw him in Indiana. Solid prospect, but nothing to write home to momma about. Kid is originally from the DMV area, so I wouldn't be surprised if L has his guys kick the tires with him. Personally, for what he brings to the table I'd much rather see the staff go try to get a big man

Advertisement
Saw Batchelor a few times last spring/summer. Played well when I saw him in Indiana. Solid prospect, but nothing to write home to momma about. Kid is originally from the DMV area, so I wouldn't be surprised if L has his guys kick the tires with him. Personally, for what he brings to the table I'd much rather see the staff go try to get a big man
Can't we have both? But, I'm with you on getting more front court presence.

Can't we have both? But, I'm with you on getting more front court presence.

We've got 1 spot open plus the 4 players (Rodney, Charlie, Sam & McGusty) who will see their eligibility expire after the season, so that gives us 5 spots to fill for next season. We signed 4 guys to the 2022 class in November. If Gak, Jordan and/or Wong leave that should open up a few more spots as well. I'm inclined to think that Wong is the only one with a probable/likely chance of leaving. However, I don't anticipate Jordan going anywhere. And I definitely can't see Gak leaving unless L tells him he doesn't have a spot for him here anymore. I think we should prioritize the remaining scholarships to get the best player available. Second, would be to add size, then a shooter and a PG. I hope to God we don't go into next season with unfilled spots on the roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is Wong leaving after this year? I believe Jordan Miller can have one more year because of the Covid year if he wants it.

I'm always down for another shooter, so sign me up. That said, I also want Miami to stack up on some size too. With the guys that are leaving(Graduation, being forced out), Miami can add 4-5 more guys, along with the incoming freshmen. Miami needs another PG, I like Joseph as the PG of the future, but it never hurts to build depth there. Miami needs to hit the portal hard. Go into the season with at least 12 good bodies.

I’m not going back through this thread, so someone tell me. Which, if any of the signees for next year are ready to contribute? I know they’re rated as highly, but can any have Bruce Brown or Lonnie type freshman years?

I’m not going back through this thread, so someone tell me. Which, if any of the signees for next year are ready to contribute? I know they’re rated as highly, but can any have Bruce Brown or Lonnie type freshman years?
from what I've seen, Casey is that type of talent, need to watch more video on the others

Advertisement
Back