2022 2022 Recruiting

Advertisement
Hate playing the WHAT IF game, but wish Miami had gotten on a lot of these 2022 FL kids a lot sooner, particularly with someone like Ernest Udeh. Wonder where we'd be with a kid like this had we not waited til after his junior year of HS to get on him. Seems like their changing their approach with 2023's and 2024's. Hopefully, it pays dividends. GO CANES!!

Advertisement
Hate playing the WHAT IF game, but wish Miami had gotten on a lot of these 2022 FL kids a lot sooner, particularly with someone like Ernest Udeh. Wonder where we'd be with a kid like this had we not waited til after his junior year of HS to get on him. Seems like their changing their approach with 2023's and 2024's. Hopefully, it pays dividends. GO CANES!!

I was thinking the same thing. Funny how Miami needs a rim protecting center and Udeh Jr is 3 hours away but he is now picking between Kansas and UCLA.

Evaluating talent is tricky but you do need to find out a kids strengths first.

Was just scrolling through the 247 top 100 rankings and thinking to myself, "****, that's a lot of kids from IMG and Montverde." We definitely couldn't have used some of those guys :rolleyes:

Advertisement

Nice but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

There is?

We have 4 seniors + Wong. We're adding 3 high school players. It'll be a top 25 class, most likely.

I'd like another high school player, but I also think we can wait and add a couple of transfers, and we'd have a great group of newcomers next year.

There is?

We have 4 seniors + Wong. We're adding 3 high school players. It'll be a top 25 class, most likely.

I'd like another high school player, but I also think we can wait and add a couple of transfers, and we'd have a great group of newcomers next year.
Recruiting as we knew it, no longer exists. A lot of times college coaches are looking at high school signees as the last resort. The rationale seems to be why take a chance on a high school kid that will take time to develop when they can get a more mature and proven player from another program.

Many Division I programs seem to be prioritizing college players and internationally to fill their rosters. They are now turning to the transfer portal to pluck kids from other D1 programs who may be unhappy in their current situation, even looking at juco and D2 prospects. If you look at many coaching staffs a lot of these programs now have coaches with strong international ties. They're still knocking on high school doors, but they're doing it at prep schools and at many of these new trend national "high school" programs, first and foremost. Finding a blue chip prospect at a traditional high school will be few and far between.

The silver lining in all this is that recruiting is still about relationships. That's why it's imperative that our staff get on in-state prospects early. We may not get them out of high school, but if/when they hit the portal a lot of times these guys are looking to come back home. Relationships! Relationships! Relationships!

By the way, 2022 class is shaping up nicely. A lot better then some of the last few classes. Hopefully, we can add one more BIG piece to the class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was just scrolling through the 247 top 100 rankings and thinking to myself, "****, that's a lot of kids from IMG and Montverde." We definitely couldn't have used some of those guys :rolleyes:

I wouldn't rely on programs like IMG and Montverde. Their players come from all over the country sometimes even from other countries and more times than not they're already packaged to go to another school. There's enough local in-state talent to pluck a couple of kids a year from within our state and still be able to compete for championships. Miami needs to widen their net with freshmen classes and go from there. If I were Larranaga I'd start by dentifying the top 10-15 guys in FL's 2025 class and recruit the **** out of them now. As time goes on you adjust by adding and subtracting from that list. Just seems like too many times we've been getting on the top in-state prospects way too late.

Wow the mopes are out today! We land our first blue chip true big in ages, and another guy with size who had good offers, and you're focused on who we didn't get.

True big? Where? Casey is a Walker clone. We still desperately need a shot blocker, and until we get one, none of this really matters.

Advertisement
I wouldn't rely on programs like IMG and Montverde. Their players come from all over the country sometimes even from other countries and more times than not they're already packaged to go to another school. There's enough local in-state talent to pluck a couple of kids a year from within our state and still be able to compete for championships. Miami needs to widen their net with freshmen classes and go from there. If I were Larranaga I'd start by dentifying the top 10-15 guys in FL's 2025 class and recruit the **** out of them now. As time goes on you adjust by adding and subtracting from that list. Just seems like too many times we've been getting on the top in-state prospects way too late.

Understood, but even if they're not from here, they're still here. Its criminal how little we've tried to mine these schools despite being a 4 hour drive from campus. That's true of both basketball and football.

Agree with everything in the post by King of A above (post #853), especially the "new priority" that coaches bring to recruiting, specifically "why take a chance on a high school kid that will take time to develop when they can get a more mature and proven player from another program." Could add "time to develop, or never develop" to their thinking as well.

Also, his point about building relationships with kids early is right on point. Unfortunately, that's tempered a bit by Coach L's age (which he can't do anything about).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back