2022 2022 Recruiting

Advertisement

3. FLORIDA RECAP
Ben Middlebrooks

Ben Middlebrooks (Photo by: Russ Wood)
I spent a few days in Florida last week, attending a handful of high school games and events. I started out at the Montverde Academy Invitational Tournament and, of course, the host program was dominant.

Cade Cunningham showed why he grabbed the No.1 ranking in the 2020 Rivals150 earlier this week, Scottie Barnes is the quintessential utility knife that is the voice of any team that he plays on, North Carolina-bound Day’Ron Sharpe is going to be a double-double threat his first day in a Tar Heels jersey, while Caleb Houstan looks to be one of the best shot-makers in America, regardless of class. Beyond the five-star standouts, there were a few others that caught my eye.

Up against the loaded Montverde crew, Ben Middlebrooks, a sophomore with the Westminster Academy program, played the part of high-major producer one day soon. Florida, Florida State and Miamihave already offered and more programs will certainly follow suit. He can guard near the basket, take his man off the bounce and, most of all, shoot to the perimeter with confidence and consistency.

Trey Moss earned a spot in Rivals150 yesterday thanks to the continued progress that he has made with his game. He has grown another inch, sports elite quickness and a feel for the game, and also possesses great length that he uses on the defensive end. He has already taken an official visit to Santa Clara, visited the campus of South Florida and just picked up an offer from Texas A&M.

Making a move in his junior class rankings, Michael James is the definition of a tough-minded prospect. The versatile forward can play many positions and on both sides of the floor. He has become better at shooting the ball, but is at his best off of the attack and creating for others thanks to his underrated playmaking skills. One of the more under-recruited juniors down south, James has already taken unofficial visits to FAU, FGCU, Texas A&M and Wake Forest.

Advertisement

I expect him to get a Miami scholarship offer soon after this performance. Especially given the program's ties to kids in the DC area.

Advertisement

•Jean Montero’s performance as a 15-year old on the Dominican Republic at the FIBA u17 World Cup in 2018 – he averaged 15.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists – firmly put himself on the map and he has clearly continued to progress at a high level since then. Montero was clearly the event’s best true point guard – assuming you view Primo as more of a combo – and impacted the game in a long list of ways. He did an outstanding job of using his quickness and handle to take defenders off the dribble while also using his vision to create for teammates. While Montero can create, he’s also an extremely adept scorer with the ability to shoot from the perimeter, knock down midrange jumpers and finish at the rim. He also played aggressive on the ball defense and made life difficult for opposing ball handlers to due his quickness and aggressive mentality. Montero consistently produces and this weekend was no different.

Advertisement

"I have a lot of schools that have offered but to list some, I’ve got Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Miami, and many more,” Thornton said

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back