2022 DE Nyjalik Kelly receives offer (COMMITS)

Maybe. Hope you are right. But, in my experience, when most people say their kid is going to college "AWAY FROM HOME" they don't mean across town. It is not a stretch or gross mischaracterization of her quote to say that she was referring to schools outside of South Florida.

With that said, it is a moot issue since she clarified her comment. All good. She has a great relationship with the staff and clearly wants to see her son play in person, which bodes well for us.
Your experience is wrong. Kid will be living somewhere else besides his room in his momma's house for the first time in his life. That is away from home.

No parent has their kid go off to live in a college dorm, even in an instate school and says to themselves "good thing my kid is still living at home."

Advertisement
This is so dumb.

I can’t tell you how many, whether family members or friends, where their kids went to UM, and the parents saw them for a few weeks in the summer, and a few days at Christmas, etc.

But only morons interact with parents like this and start following and analyzing every little thing.

If he comes or doesn’t, this tweet will have nothing to do with it, unless because of the aftermath, he realizes we have a few too many obsessed retrograde morons in this fan base. They are in all fan bases, but you just never know.

In the meantime, leave the parents alone.

This is so dumb.

I can’t tell you how many, whether family members or friends, where their kids went to UM, and the parents saw them for a few weeks in the summer, and a few days at Christmas, etc.

But only morons interact with parents like this and start following and analyzing every little thing.

If he comes or doesn’t, this tweet will have nothing to do with it, unless because of the aftermath, he realizes we have a few too many obsessed retrograde morons in this fan base. They are in all fan bases, but you just never know.

In the meantime, leave the parents alone.

Don't get me wrong with the latter part of this post, I agree no one should be tweeting at kids parents unless it is congratulatory (there are exceptions, such as Chad Wilson going after a few specific UF fans for calling his son a dumbass about the shoe, if you welcome it, you are fair game for a response IMO)

But, I did not see any "fan" say anything mean or derogatory to her. The GIF posted I thought was kinda funny, she tweeted about him being AWAY FROM HOME in all caps, and while I agree the tweet has nothing to do with his potential commitment as it would not be that obvious, it seemed like the fan just was more inquiring "whatchu talkin bout" because we obviously are recruiting her kid hard. Also, this thread has likely gone on longer than moms has even though about the tweet and the reaction to it.

Your experience is wrong. Kid will be living somewhere else besides his room in his momma's house for the first time in his life. That is away from home.

No parent has their kid go off to live in a college dorm, even in an instate school and says to themselves "good thing my kid is still living at home."
Respectfully, you don’t know a **** thing about my experience with kids leaving for college.

BTW, experiences can’t be “wrong.” They are things that one personally observes or encounters. Experiences can differ among similarly situated individuals, but they cannot be wrong.

Advertisement
Don't get me wrong with the latter part of this post, I agree no one should be tweeting at kids parents unless it is congratulatory (there are exceptions, such as Chad Wilson going after a few specific UF fans for calling his son a dumbass about the shoe, if you welcome it, you are fair game for a response IMO)

But, I did not see any "fan" say anything mean or derogatory to her. The GIF posted I thought was kinda funny, she tweeted about him being AWAY FROM HOME in all caps, and while I agree the tweet has nothing to do with his potential commitment as it would not be that obvious, it seemed like the fan just was more inquiring "whatchu talkin bout" because we obviously are recruiting her kid hard. Also, this thread has likely gone on longer than moms has even though about the tweet and the reaction to it.

It’s been my experience that these interactions can easily go south. Maybe this one hasn’t gotten there yet, but just interacting with parents on social media is fraught with the possibility of danger. We just shouldn’t be doing it. That’s just my opinion, just too much potential for misunderstandings, especially since parents can be sensitive about their kids, which is to be expected.

Unless it’s going to be a positive interaction, congratulatory or positive type of remark, best to just not say anything. Even then, tread carefully. Again, this is just how I feel about it

GUYS. WTF is wrong with you? Her baby is leaving the nest. Won't be home for dinner, won't sleep at the house. It's a big deal for a parent. Has ZERO to do with whether he goes 10 miles or 10,000 miles away.

Seriously, there is something wrong with some of you obsessing and causing drama over this single, parental tweet, which tips NOTHING about where he might go to school. Dear f'ing lord, this place.

This is a message board for Miami Hurricanes fanatics. Nyjalik is a great local prospect we all hope decides to further his eductation and playing career at our favorite school. If you want to hang on every tweet or social media post or quote from Nykalik or his mother, you are free to do so (I don't and I won't). I just don't see the benefit in engaging with the kid or his family members on social media (if you don't know them). Having said that, I know some of these kids are actively asking for people to follow them on social media and like the attention. If you choose to go that route, do so, but try to refrain from beefs with the kid or his family members.

Respectfully, you don’t know a **** thing about my experience with kids leaving for college.

BTW, experiences can’t be “wrong.” They are things that one personally observes or encounters. Experiences can differ among similarly situated individuals, but they cannot be wrong.
I think we're arguing semantics. I agree that your feelings about what the experience felt like are certainly subjectively yours and would differ per person. I'm saying objectively, if the kid is no longer coming home to sleep in the same bed he slept in during high school, than he is no longer living at home. There is an empty nest, regardless of where the bird went.

I'm simply saying I disagree with your assessment that parents of in-state, on-campus college students can accurately claim their child lives at home. A person can live in the house right next to their parents and still be 'away from home' because the parents would not necessarily see the kid every day anymore.

Advertisement
This is a message board for Miami Hurricanes fanatics. Nyjalik is a great local prospect we all hope decides to further his eductation and playing career at our favorite school. If you want to hang on every tweet or social media post or quote from Nykalik or his mother, you are free to do so (I don't and I won't). I just don't see the benefit in engaging with the kid or his family members on social media (if you don't know them). Having said that, I know some of these kids are actively asking for people to follow them on social media and like the attention. If you choose to go that route, do so, but try to refrain from beefs with the kid or his family members.
CIS should honestly consider re-posting this as its own stickied thread.

EDIT: I just realized I can do this so I did (with the recruit's name removed). @Andrew and/or @DMoney if you guys don't want it stickied for whatever reason, feel free to delete. I just found it to be well said and great advice for the peanut gallery.

Last edited:

EDIT: I just realized I can do this so I did (with the recruit's name removed). @Andrew and/or @DMoney if you guys don't want it stickied for whatever reason, feel free to delete. I just found it to be well said and great advice for the peanut gallery.
As we've seen over the last couple of decades, its hard enough to recruit top local talent. Why make the job more difficult for the coaches by negative interactions with the player or his family members?

Advertisement
Advertisement

23C5F0D0-D9FD-47BC-9C81-AE335C4BDFAA.gif

Advertisement
Back