2022 DE Nyjalik Kelly receives offer (COMMITS)

1628419436225.gif

Advertisement
Kelly, who 247Sports ranks as the nation's No. 9 defensive line prospect in the class of 2022, has already taken official visits to LSU, Oregon and Indiana. He will take another official visit to FSU the weekend of Sept. 5 when the Seminoles host Notre Dame. That fifth and final official visit, however, could go to a number of different schools.

"It will be probably Georgia, Clemson or Miami," Kelly said.

Kelly was at UM last week for an unofficial visit. It was the only school he visited during the July quiet period after making the short drive down to Coral Gables two or three times in June.

"It was fun," Kelly said. "It was just a pool party, so we hung out and just had fun. My mom was in the pool. I was like jumping off the diving boards and stuff."

Kelly got a chance to talk with pretty much Miami's entire defensive staff.

"I was with Coach T-Rob, Coach DVD, Manny Diaz, Coach [David] Cooney, Coach [Eric] Hickson. It was all of them," Kelly noted.

Kelly also got to hang out with some familiar faces in Kahlil Brantley and James Williams.

"I use to play little league with Kahlil and then James went to Heritage, which is where my mom works," Kelly explained.

Jake Garcia was another Hurricanes' freshman that tried to work Kelly.

"He was telling me that I already know where I need to be at," Kelly said.

While Kelly still might not be sure if Miami will get his last official visit, he did make it seem like the Hurricanes will be in it until the end and for a few different reasons.

"I like the scheme and that it's close to home," Kelly said. "They would let me play d-end and let me showcase my talent as a true d-end. So, that's big for me."

There's a good chance that Kelly will attend at least one Miami game at Hard Rock Stadium this season should the NCAA allow those type of visits to happen this fall. It also sounds like there's a chance he will return to LSU.

"I love Coach [Andre] Carter," Kelly said. He's like another [Miami assistant Jess Simpson]. You know, because they both have been in the NFL. So, he knows what he's talking about. The OV was just different. At first, I didn't really like it, because when I went to a wedding [in Lousiana] I didn't like it, but when I went for the visit, I loved it."

The Tigers – like the Hurricanes – aren't trying to put any pressure on Kelly. He likes that approach.

"They haven't really been calling me everyday, because they know what it's like to be a recruit, so they have just been checking up on me like every other day," Kelly said. "I like when coaches don't call everyday. That's what Miami does, they just check up on me here and there, because they know that it's hard on me. They know that I got a billion coaches calling me."

Kelly added that he wants to know if Ed Orgeron & Co. are going win big in 2021.

"Last year, they had a bad year because people were opting out and they had some COVID issues. So, I just want to see how they do this year."

If Kelly is a big fan of LSU's Andre Carter and Miami's Jess Simpson, then the same could be said about Oregon's Joe Salave'a.

"I'm really tight with all of the coaches there," Kelly said when asked about the Ducks. "I think I'm going to visit there on my bye week."

Kelly and his mother, who coaches track, apparently really enjoyed their time in Eugene.

"I really like everything there," Kelly said. "It's not just the uniforms. I like the culture there and the staff. Coach Joe is like a hands-on teacher. I like hands on. I don't want to just sit there and look at the drawing board, I want to get in there and do it. I'm like a visual person."

While there's no question that Oregon is giving Kelly plenty to think about, distance could ultimately hurt the Ducks as mom wants to see her son play.

"She wants to be at every game," Kelly said.

Many have been quick to dismiss Indiana as a real contender in the recruitment, but Kelly pointed out that wants to return to Bloomington to see the Hoosiers take on Ohio State in October.

"I like Coach [Kasey] Teegardin and how I can play the 'bull' position for them. I also like Coach [Tom] Allen. It's good over there. If people go up there and actually give them a chance, they might actually end up committing there."

As for FSU – the school that once held a pledge from Kelly?

"I still like them," Kelly said. "They are still in the running. I talk to almost their whole staff."

Georgia is another program that continues to flood Kelly's inbox.

"I did a private workout for them. I was a good workout. I was coming off a hip injury, so I was just trying to see if my hip was right and trying to see if I could go. But it was a good that I went there. I got to see the facilities. The weight room is big. They got a huge TV in there," Kelly said.

Clemson remains in contact, as well.

"You either like it there or you don't," Kelly said. "It's good there though. There's a lot to see there. It's a big family-oriented team over there."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back