2022 Coaches Clinic

I’m a seafood guy; ain’t too much I haven’t had in the ocean or swamps. Lol. I hate oysters, but man…the homie from Baton Rouge put me up on game w/ grilled Oysters on an open flame, STUFFED w/ minced blue crab, shrimp, calamari, onions, peppers, and topped w/ sharp cheddar. My goodness.

And don’t let the fam give u too much grief; I get the same chit when I go back to N.O at family reunions. I’m like ‘I’m eating it as best as possible, stop rushing me!’ Lol.
That oyster was buried in all that other great stuff so you probably didn’t even know it was there. Lol.

CAN NOT eat them raw. I used to work with a guy at a food wholesaler in FT Laud whose wife’s family owned the largest seafood company in the Bahamas - Abaco Seafoods. @SWFLHurricane has probably heard of them - if they’re still in business. We’d get boxes of fresh Long Island oysters shipped in once a week. He’d crack open a box, take one out, pull out his pocket knife, expertly open the raw oyster and slurp it down never even chewing it. Lol.

I asked him why do that if you don’t even chew it. He said it’s for the other “benefits” of eating oysters. I told him no thanks! Even if I did need those other “benefits”, I’d find something else.

Advertisement
That oyster was buried in all that other great stuff so you probably didn’t even know it was there. Lol.

CAN NOT eat them raw. I used to work with a guy at a food wholesaler in FT Laud whose wife’s family owned the largest seafood company in the Bahamas - Abaco Seafoods. @SWFLHurricane has probably heard of them - if they’re still in business. We’d get boxes of fresh Long Island oysters shipped in once a week. He’d crack open a box, take one out, pull out his pocket knife, expertly open the raw oyster and slurp it down never even chewing it. Lol.

I asked him why do that if you don’t even chew it. He said it’s for the other “benefits” of eating oysters. I told him no thanks! Even if I did need those other “benefits”, I’d find something else.
Know Abaco very well....and Drago's Oysters were extremely plump...Apalachicola Oysters were the sh*t for ions...but with Oysters you need the correct amount of Salt water and freshwater...unfortunately a large amount of the Oyster harvesting has gone to crap there.

Know Abaco very well....and Drago's Oysters were extremely plump...Apalachicola Oysters were the sh*t for ions...but with Oysters you need the correct amount of Salt water and freshwater...unfortunately a large amount of the Oyster harvesting has gone to crap there.
Is Abaco still in business? When I worked for that wholesaler in the late 70’s/early 80’s, Long Island oysters were supposedly the cream of the crop. We sold them to some of the best restaurants in Dade, Broward, and PB counties. Got them in on Thursdays so we could ship them out on Friday mornings so the restaurants could run specials on Fri and Sat nights.

Advertisement
Love oysters any way they come...

Raw oyster shooters with vodka/splash of bloody mix.

Crispy fried oyster po boy with spicy remoulade

Right out of the mud (rinse them off) with an oyster knife.

The wife hides soon after, I get that deranged look...

MPG6.gif

Is Abaco still in business? When I worked for that wholesaler in the late 70’s/early 80’s, Long Island oysters were supposedly the cream of the crop. We sold them to some of the best restaurants in Dade, Broward, and PB counties. Got them in on Thursdays so we could ship them out on Friday mornings so the restaurants could run specials on Fri and Sat nights.
Not sure if they’re open...but in the mid 80s I was an Executive Chef in Miami...and we'd use them exclusively....I was born in Brooklyn...but we lived in Long Island at that time....still a Fan of Cherrystone and LittleNeck Clams from that area.

There are more varieties of oysters in New England and each has it's own flavor. If it's not the texture that bother's you, find a place that has a good sampler. One place we went in Boston, it might have been Legal Seafood, has a menu with a description of the flavor.

Advertisement
There are more varieties of oysters in New England and each has it's own flavor. If it's not the texture that bother's you, find a place that has a good sampler. One place we went in Boston, it might have been Legal Seafood, has a menu with a description of the flavor.
Neptune these days in Boston. If anyone is in Atlanta for the game next year, Kimball House this way.

I like the cleaner, less funky taste of Pacific Northwest oysters over Maine or Massachusetts products, and definitely over Southern. Despite having lived in NO, I am just not a fan of gulf oysters raw. Grilled or fried they are the best because of their size. Having said that, if anyone goes to NO, go to Cooter Brown's uptown. One of the best sports bars I have ever been to. TVs all over, great beer list, STRONG drinks, a kitchen for po boys and other NO specialties and a great oyster bar for 50 cents per oyster.

Neptune these days in Boston. If anyone is in Atlanta for the game next year, Kimball House this way.

I like the cleaner, less funky taste of Pacific Northwest oysters over Maine or Massachusetts products, and definitely over Southern. Despite having lived in NO, I am just not a fan of gulf oysters raw. Grilled or fried they are the best because of their size. Having said that, if anyone goes to NO, go to Cooter Brown's uptown. One of the best sports bars I have ever been to. TVs all over, great beer list, STRONG drinks, a kitchen for po boys and other NO specialties and a great oyster bar for 50 cents per oyster.
Drago's in Metairie for Oysters blows anything away.....Domilise's Po-Boys in New Orleans....End of Story...

In NC, they fry seafood Calabash style. Light breading with little seasoning. I’ve tried fried oysters and they were OK but a little chewy and gritty. I much prefer the shrimp and clams. They use sea scallops that I think are tough and gritty. I prefer the smaller, more tender bay scallops.

In NC, they fry seafood Calabash style. Light breading with little seasoning. I’ve tried fried oysters and they were OK but a little chewy and gritty. I much prefer the shrimp and clams. They use sea scallops that I think are tough and gritty. I prefer the smaller, more tender bay scallops.
I hear you about the oysters and scallops. I'm certain it has everything to do with the preparation. It's the same with conch. I've had conch fritters that were melted in your mouth. I've also had some you could use to patch a semi tire.

Advertisement
Drago's in Metairie for Oysters blows anything away.....Domilise's Po-Boys in New Orleans....End of Story...
Drago's is good but the last time I was there half of the oysters had shells in them from bad shucking. I do like Domilise's, but I would go Crabby Jack's or Parkway over it. Crabby Jack's is owned by the same guy who runs Jacques Imos. He started a fish distributor and opened a lunch spot on that location. My go-to there was a custom job... blackened redfish, fried green tomato, shrimp remoulade. They also had a slow roasted duck po boy that was just out of this world.

Parkway is just great across the board.

When Deep Frying Oysters & Scallops...they should never be submerged more than 2mins tops...otherwise they'll be like rubber...Especially Scallops....

Advertisement
Sounds like a nice event honestly. Might throw on a HS polo and head out there.

FRIDAY, MARCH 25TH

12:45-1:45 PM Registration Soffer Indoor Practice Facility; 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL

2:00-7:15 PM Guest Speakers

7:15 -8:00 PM Dinner

8:00-9:00 PM Keynote Speaker

9:00 Position Meetings with Coaches

SATURDAY, MARCH 26th

7:00-8:00 AM Registration/Continental Breakfast

8:00-8:45 AM Weight Room Presentation

8:45-9:30 AM Speaker

9:30-12:00 PM Practice Viewing

12:00-12:30 PM Lunch

12:30-1:15 PM Keynote Speaker

Advertisement