2022 4-star TE Skinner intrigued by Canes (COMMITS)

View as article
I think the clamor for a new stadium will calm down a bit when hard rock becomes a raucous beast once more this upcoming season. May get even more rowdy than it did in 2017. That stadium is fun as **** when things are clicking.
Honestly, I believe that HRS is the ideal location. I would rather not alienate the Broward and PB Canes fans over two thousand students that would attend the games.
If we win like I believe we can, that place is gonna rock like the OB did, and people are going to scramble to get their season tickets.

Advertisement
Honestly, I believe that HRS is the ideal location. I would rather not alienate the Broward and PB Canes fans over two thousand students that would attend the games.
If we win like I believe we can, that place is gonna rock like the OB did, and people are going to scramble to get their season tickets.

Please stop this bullcrap.

First, the "two thousand students" are future alums, people who will be making donations and buying tickets for the next 50 years.

Second, it is not "alienating" a bunch of whiny fans in Broward and Palm Beach to ask them to drive an extra 12-15 miles (the approximate distance differential between Hard Rock and a stadium that is either adjacent to Marlins Stadium or at Tropical Park).

Fans of the University of Florida and Florida State drive for HOURS to get to those rural cow-towns in the middle of nowhere, and somehow people in South Florida can't drive an extra 15 miles on six or seven Saturdays out of the year?

Wha

First, the "two thousand students" are future alums, people who will be making donations and buying tickets for the next 50 years.

Second, it is not "alienating" a bunch of whiny fans in Broward and Palm Beach to ask them to drive an extra 12-15 miles (the approximate distance differential between Hard Rock and a stadium that is either adjacent to Marlins Stadium or at Tropical Park).

Fans of the University of Florida and Florida State drive for HOURS to get to those rural cow-towns in the middle of nowhere, and somehow people in South Florida can't drive an extra 15 miles on six or seven Saturdays out of the year?
What makes you believe that those whiney fans aren't alums themselves that donate to the university?
I live in Dade btw, so I'd be better for me to get to Tropical Park, or Marlins Stadium. Getting in and out of HRS is quick and the place CIS lights out.

I think the clamor for a new stadium will calm down a bit when hard rock becomes a raucous beast once more this upcoming season. May get even more rowdy than it did in 2017. That stadium is fun as **** when things are clicking.
that notre dame game is etched into my memory, and i think the memories of anyone who witnessed it. every cane fan remembers the camera on those notre dame fans looking absolutely miserable and covering their ears while the stadium rocked. just stack the wins and we'll be sure to see more of that.

---The Smokin' Pig in Easley (Clemson is too far and too crowded)
---Bacon Brothers on Pelham near I-85
---Smoky Dreams on Woodruff
---Saskatoon Steaks Fish and Wild Game on Haywood, down by Laurens
---Smoke on the Water - Main Street and Augusta
---Stax Omega Diner - near Pelham and Haywood
---Stella's Southern Bistro (Simpsonville)
---The Lunchbox (Simpsonville)
---There was a good little Cuban place in Simpsonville (shocking) called Mad Cuban Cafe, it is now a food truck. I often ordered a Cuban sandwich that had croquetas and plantains added, it usually took about 10-12 minutes to get the sandwich, but got-**** it was good

All of the places I just mentioned, I have been to multiple times and I recommend them all very highly.
You’re the man

Advertisement
---There was a good little Cuban place in Simpsonville (shocking) called Mad Cuban Cafe, it is now a food truck. I often ordered a Cuban sandwich that had croquetas and plantains added, it usually took about 10-12 minutes to get the sandwich, but got-**** it was good

All of the places I just mentioned, I have been to multiple times and I recommend them all very highly.
You like Bacon Bros? I was disappointed in it. @JHallCanes Carolina Ale House is prob one of the better places for a watch party or Quaker State. Chiefs firewater and wings was the go to, but they changed ownership and it isn’t the same

Think you are underestimating the amount of people that come from that area. As one of those palm beach fans, I go ahead and tell you most hurricanes fans I know up here would not want to add that extra hour plus to go to a game. We would still go to games but instead of going to all the games including the crappy ones you would pick one or two. With a good Miami team the support will be at HRS. Miami is NOT like FSU or Florida or any other college town. Only college team I’ve ever seen with a fan base more like an NFL team. HRS Is a state of the art facility centrally located to the fan base. That 50K seat stadium won’t be able to hold the amount of people who would want to attend a big game like notre dame, Florida, FSU, Texas A & M, etc.

Think you are underestimating the amount of people that come from that area. As one of those palm beach fans, I go ahead and tell you most hurricanes fans I know up here would not want to add that extra hour plus to go to a game. We would still go to games but instead of going to all the games including the crappy ones you would pick one or two. With a good Miami team the support will be at HRS. Miami is NOT like FSU or Florida or any other college town. Only college team I’ve ever seen with a fan base more like an NFL team. HRS Is a state of the art facility centrally located to the fan base. That 50K seat stadium won’t be able to hold the amount of people who would want to attend a big game like notre dame, Florida, FSU, Texas A & M, etc.
If your gonna build it then build it better. I agree with you.
Don’t make it more difficult to get there and then also make less of an experience when you arrive.
We’ve packed HRS before and we can do it again.
My opinion is that after this season the stadium talk will die down since attendance will likely be higher.

Don’t water down the experience or make it more difficult to attend in order to make the stadium closer.

If they’re gonna do it then do it right and hit it out of the park.

Don’t give me a 50k stadium in the middle of the gables. If your gonna replace it then do it to the standard you want to set.

Key Biscayne
Or the New mall off of I75

Make a **** statement and not a debacle.

Advertisement
Wha

What makes you believe that those whiney fans aren't alums themselves that donate to the university?
I live in Dade btw, so I'd be better for me to get to Tropical Park, or Marlins Stadium. Getting in and out of HRS is quick and the place CIS lights out.

Because an alum is not gonna whine over an extra 15 miles. An alum enjoys the chance to go to the campus for an hour or two, buy something from AllCanes, take a picture at the U.

You like Bacon Bros? I was disappointed in it. @JHallCanes Carolina Ale House is prob one of the better places for a watch party or Quaker State. Chiefs firewater and wings was the go to, but they changed ownership and it isn’t the same

I went to Bacon Bros several times a few years ago, not sure if it has declined since then. I spoke with the guys who owned/ran the place back then, they were talking about possibly opening a charcuterie place closer to downtown. They seemed vey committed, so maybe you just caught them at a bad time.

Ah yeah I’ve heard a few people mention CAH in the past

I’m definitely down!

Because an alum is not gonna whine over an extra 15 miles. An alum enjoys the chance to go to the campus for an hour or two, buy something from AllCanes, take a picture at the U.
Not all alumni necessarily think the same. I'm more worried about snarled traffic, difficulty parking, ****** bleachers instead of stadium seats, and crappy amenities than I am about the extra distance.

Nobody's loyalty is unconditional.

Advertisement

love the smokin' pig!

used to date a girl that lived in easley and would go there every weekend

I'm not underestimating the amount of people that come from that area, I'm saying that if the make-or-break is "I'm not going to drive an extra 12 miles", then maybe those fans weren't built for this. And if you want to skip the crappy games, that's fine. All I can tell you is that based on ACTUAL ATTENDANCE, it's not like the "Palm Beach fans" are showing up anyhow.

If you are trying to tell me that the only fanbase that Miami can rely on (a) can't drive an extra 12 miles, (b) prefers to show up to good games, and (c) only shows up when Miami is winning...

I don't know where else you've seen football games, but Hard Rock is NOT "state of the art". It is a 35 year old stadium that has had lots of plastic surgery. I've been to Dallas and Atlanta multiple times, those are state of the art stadiums. Los Angeles has a state of the art stadium. Las Vegas has a state of the art stadium. Yes, the club section at Hard Rock is nice, but the rest of the stadium is mid-tier. I find it amusing that every Hard-Rock-lover/anti-UM-stadium nutjob continues to tell us how a BRAND NEW college stadium would be terrible and inferior to a (then) 40 year old Hard Rock. That's just a load of crap.

And the attendance smack is just a joke. The capacity at Hard Rock is 64,000. You are crapping on a hypothetical 50,000 seat stadium. If you honestly believe that the entire gameday experience and the entire economic structure of the Athletic Department would collapse based on a 14,000 fan differential for the two good games each year, then you are crazy.

We are currently fourth-class tenants at a facility that continues to put more and more athletic and entertainment events ahead of our 6 or 7 gamedays. We already have time limitations on tailgating, the traffic is as bad as ever even with REDUCED capacity, and we have no other current options when the time comes to negotiate a new lease.

But, yeah, we should put up with ALL OF THIS for some fans in Palm Beach who complain about everything and who only show up when we are good enough to beat Notre Dame? And you realize that Hard Rock IS LITERALLY IN DADE COUNTY, so all the Palm Beach pvssies would have to do is drive a few miles farther south into Dade County?

Yeah, I know traffic sucks. I drive to games FROM ORLANDO. I have to drive a motherfvckin' two-southbound-lanes Turnpike until, what, Lantana, when we get a third lane?

So take the Brightline, for those who hate traffic. But I fail to see why UM should be held hostage by "Palm Beach fans" if we want to have our own stadium AT ANOTHER LOCATION IN DADE COUNTY. Yeah, if we move it to Homestead, I'll understand the complaints. But if we move to the east of Marlins Stadium? Or Tropical? Come on, now.

I don’t think you know the new students that go to Miami, even when I was there, it’s hard to get students out. A lot will show up for the tailgate and bounce pre kick . It’s also such a small percentage of the fan base That leave the area right after grad. if They were all staking in Miami then yes. But most aren’t And he’ll a lot aren’t even staying in the state. Use the stadium money to bag more players. That’ll increase attendance and hard rock is absolutely fine for what we need. If they put metal bleachers in a new stadium you may wanna dump it altogether

Advertisement
I'm not underestimating the amount of people that come from that area, I'm saying that if the make-or-break is "I'm not going to drive an extra 12 miles", then maybe those fans weren't built for this. And if you want to skip the crappy games, that's fine. All I can tell you is that based on ACTUAL ATTENDANCE, it's not like the "Palm Beach fans" are showing up anyhow.

If you are trying to tell me that the only fanbase that Miami can rely on (a) can't drive an extra 12 miles, (b) prefers to show up to good games, and (c) only shows up when Miami is winning...

I don't know where else you've seen football games, but Hard Rock is NOT "state of the art". It is a 35 year old stadium that has had lots of plastic surgery. I've been to Dallas and Atlanta multiple times, those are state of the art stadiums. Los Angeles has a state of the art stadium. Las Vegas has a state of the art stadium. Yes, the club section at Hard Rock is nice, but the rest of the stadium is mid-tier. I find it amusing that every Hard-Rock-lover/anti-UM-stadium nutjob continues to tell us how a BRAND NEW college stadium would be terrible and inferior to a (then) 40 year old Hard Rock. That's just a load of crap.

And the attendance smack is just a joke. The capacity at Hard Rock is 64,000. You are crapping on a hypothetical 50,000 seat stadium. If you honestly believe that the entire gameday experience and the entire economic structure of the Athletic Department would collapse based on a 14,000 fan differential for the two good games each year, then you are crazy.

We are currently fourth-class tenants at a facility that continues to put more and more athletic and entertainment events ahead of our 6 or 7 gamedays. We already have time limitations on tailgating, the traffic is as bad as ever even with REDUCED capacity, and we have no other current options when the time comes to negotiate a new lease.

But, yeah, we should put up with ALL OF THIS for some fans in Palm Beach who complain about everything and who only show up when we are good enough to beat Notre Dame? And you realize that Hard Rock IS LITERALLY IN DADE COUNTY, so all the Palm Beach pvssies would have to do is drive a few miles farther south into Dade County?

Yeah, I know traffic sucks. I drive to games FROM ORLANDO. I have to drive a motherfvckin' two-southbound-lanes Turnpike until, what, Lantana, when we get a third lane?

So take the Brightline, for those who hate traffic. But I fail to see why UM should be held hostage by "Palm Beach fans" if we want to have our own stadium AT ANOTHER LOCATION IN DADE COUNTY. Yeah, if we move it to Homestead, I'll understand the complaints. But if we move to the east of Marlins Stadium? Or Tropical? Come on, now.
Well said. 100% agree

Not all alumni necessarily think the same. I'm more worried about snarled traffic, difficulty parking, ****** bleachers instead of stadium seats, and crappy amenities than I am about the extra distance.

Nobody's loyalty is unconditional.

I hear what you are saying. I'm not sure where "****ty bleachers instead of stadium seats" and "crappy amenities" comes from, that is just one of those myths built by the anti-UM-stadium crowd.

Traffic and parking are the legitimate issues. Both of which are not ideal at Hard Rock, but I digress, let's remain focused on the "new stadium" angle.

On one hand, I would feel a lot better about Hard Rock if the Metro was extended to the stadium. But on the other hand, I try to figure out how the REDUCTION of 10,000 seats hasn't resulted in better gameday traffic at Hard Rock. So a lot of planning will need to be done on any new site.

Just objectively, let's think about this. Tropical has access to the Palmetto. The NW 7th locations have access to the Dolphin. For all of its "perfect location" mythology, Hard Rock really only has access to the Turnpike. All of these sites would require police assistance on gamedays to facilitate the traffic. One advantage of a site near NW 7th would be proximity to the Airport and the Intermodal hub, where you'd have rail service options. I also feel like (and I realize this is a long time ago) there were some traffic benefits at the old Orange Bowl because people parked all over the place, so it wasn't just a couple of main roads that got hit (although the people walking in/out of the stadium may have complicated matters).

Here's what I think it comes down to. THERE IS NO PERFECT LOCATION in Dade that addresses all of the concerns about traffic and parking. Therefore, the argument boils down to "stay in Hard Rock" vs. "sure we can own our own place in Dade, but the traffic/parking will never be better than Hard Rock". And, yes, that is a difficult choice to make.

But I'm also tired of being held hostage by the "but but but the Palm Beach fans who barely show up now will boycott if they have to drive 12 more miles" argument.

I hear what you are saying. I'm not sure where "****ty bleachers instead of stadium seats" and "crappy amenities" comes from, that is just one of those myths built by the anti-UM-stadium crowd.

Traffic and parking are the legitimate issues. Both of which are not ideal at Hard Rock, but I digress, let's remain focused on the "new stadium" angle.

On one hand, I would feel a lot better about Hard Rock if the Metro was extended to the stadium. But on the other hand, I try to figure out how the REDUCTION of 10,000 seats hasn't resulted in better gameday traffic at Hard Rock. So a lot of planning will need to be done on any new site.

Just objectively, let's think about this. Tropical has access to the Palmetto. The NW 7th locations have access to the Dolphin. For all of its "perfect location" mythology, Hard Rock really only has access to the Turnpike. All of these sites would require police assistance on gamedays to facilitate the traffic. One advantage of a site near NW 7th would be proximity to the Airport and the Intermodal hub, where you'd have rail service options. I also feel like (and I realize this is a long time ago) there were some traffic benefits at the old Orange Bowl because people parked all over the place, so it wasn't just a couple of main roads that got hit (although the people walking in/out of the stadium may have complicated matters).

Here's what I think it comes down to. THERE IS NO PERFECT LOCATION in Dade that addresses all of the concerns about traffic and parking. Therefore, the argument boils down to "stay in Hard Rock" vs. "sure we can own our own place in Dade, but the traffic/parking will never be better than Hard Rock". And, yes, that is a difficult choice to make.

But I'm also tired of being held hostage by the "but but but the Palm Beach fans who barely show up now will boycott if they have to drive 12 more miles" argument.
People get the ****** bleachers impression because that's what all the stadiums have that everyone seems to point to as ideal.

The traffic/parking situation is about as good as can be expected at HRS because of the location relative to the turnpike and I95. That's 100% more important than the distance.

People get the ****** bleachers impression because that's what all the stadiums have that everyone seems to point to as ideal.

The traffic/parking situation is about as good as can be expected at HRS because of the location relative to the turnpike and I95. That's 100% more important than the distance.

The comp stadium I've heard the most is McClane Stadium (Baylor) which is pretty nice. And, yes, UCF went cheap, and they got what they paid for.

For the "Palm Beach fans" argument, I don't think I-95 helps much, but I do think that the NW 7th locations (east of Marlins or north of Magic City) would have a good combo of 836 plus I-95 and 826 for the north-south traffic. Tropical's a bit tougher, unless you could get people out to the Turnpike Extension faster on Bird and/or Miller (for those returning to the north).

I only cite the "distance" because most of the marginal difference (Hard Rock vs. locations to the south) would be via expressway-type roads. Would love to see UM work out a deal where the "express lane" tolls on I-95 are reduced/free on gamedays.

Problems challenges to be solved...

Advertisement
Back