2021 STA WR Skinner talks Junior Day experience, WR coach, and UM family ties

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
A few days after landing a UM offer, 2021 St. Thomas (FL) 3-star WR Quincy Skinner took part in the Miami Hurricanes’ Junior Day event held earlier today and detailed how the experience went in his first visit to campus.

“I really liked it. It felt like it was home, like it was meant to be - it went good,” Skinner said. “I like the way the new OC was explaining the way he does things, and how they’ll have a balanced attack but still have that air-raid style.”

Skinner spent part of the day starting to build a relationship with new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, and the event included a film session breaking down how the UM offense is expected to look next season.

“I really liked him,” Skinner said of Lashlee. “We watched some clips of how the offense is going to be. He was making everything seem simple. It’s a hard offense, but he was dumbing it down so everyone could pick it up.”

The day also included a tour of the new facilities, including the new dorms (“They were very nice,” Skinner said), and Skinner says the staff gave him an update about what’s going on at WR coach.

“They said I should find out who the wide receivers coach is in a few days,” Skinner said.

The 6-1 175 pound pass catcher found out about his UM offer just three days ago, and credits a relative that was a former Hurricane for his interest in the program.

“It was really a dream come true,” Skinner said of the offer. “It’s been a lifelong dream to be a Miami Hurricane, so it was a blessing. I wear Canes stuff all the time. My uncle went there, Tyrone Moss.

“I love that swagger and that toughness they always have - no matter the team, no matter the players, no matter the personnel they have, they always have that swagger and tenacity, and I feel like that matches with my game being an aggressive receiver.”

True to his word, Skinner was wearing a Miami hoodie after playing in the Battle 7v7 tournament this afternoon; he showed up after his UM visit and played for the South Florida team DEFCON in an event that featured teams from all across the country. DEFCON was knocked out in the semifinals.

“I didn’t really play a lot, but I feel like I did good,” Skinner said of his performance.

As for where his mindset is regarding the rest of the recruiting process, Skinner isn’t in a rush to make a decision and is eyeing a certain day this spring where he will narrow his list. Other P5 schools that have offered the STA star include Kentucky, Minnesota, Purdue, NC State, and Kansas thus far.

“I’m just in the middle of the process,” Skinner said. “I’m just going to events and it’s really starting to open up for me. I talked to LSU yesterday, talk to Georgia here and there. I’ll probably drop a top list on March 9th, it’s my mom’s birthday.”

Along with the rest of his teammates, Skinner was part of St. Thomas’ 7A state title run in 2019, and he is using this offseason to make sure his senior season is just as successful.

“I’m just working on the little things, trying to master the little things,” Skinner said. “I want to do everything right - be coachable, be a leader amongst my peers, and just try and be the whole package.”

What is Skinner going to be coveting in the school of his choice?

“Obviously I want to play my first year in college. And I just want that home experience, just feel that I’m at home basically.”

Advertisement
Kid is T-Rex’ nephew? That’s awesome. Some people were all bunched up over Tyrone’s interview with the NCAA during the Shapiro scandal. But those f@&!ers threatened him, Kyle Wright and others with lawsuits and blackballing them with the pros. He was all Canes and a great man overall. May he RIP.

I’m looking forward to following Skinner over the next year to see how he develops. Hope he kickstarts our relationship with STA back into high gear.

Advertisement
I realize these kids have to shell out positive sound bites when interviewed.

But he likes our toughness and tenacity over the years? Just lol

Advertisement
I really like what he said about Lashlee. Sounds like he’s a teaching coach. Coach Lashlee must be a master of his system. We need that, the learning curve is gonna be steep. I also liked him wanting to be a leader of his peers. Sounds like the kinda kid the COS wants to be a Cane.

Go Canes!

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas WR Quincy Skinner picked up a Miami Hurricanes scholarship offer in late January.

And he says “Miami fits into the picture a lot with me. They communicate with me, keep me in the loop. Coach (Eric) Hickson does a great job with that, keeping me up to date on things. I feel like I’m a part of the family.”

Skinner adds that “I love the environment there, coaches treat me like family and they tell me I can come in and make a great impact on offense.”

Skinner isn't listing favorites yet and expects he’ll have a top five after the spring.

“I have to see where everything is with my recruiting process,” said Skinner, who has 13 offers.

Skinner says he’ll visit Miami for a practice this month, and he’s also visiting Kentucky April 17 and is setting up visits to Georgia and LSU as well.

What does UM needs to do to win out?

“I just want to see a winning environment,” Skinner said. “And I just want to know I’ll go somewhere and be able to play.”

Of what he sees for the future of Miami’s program, Skinner said, “I see it’s going up. They have things going in the right direction, a new receivers coach, good personnel.”

Skinner is friendly with current Cane Xavier Restrepo and former Cane KJ Osborn, which can help UM’s cause, and his uncle was former Cane Tyrone Moss. “I grew up a Cane fan, saw his passion for the game,” Skinner said. Skinner is weighing everything carefully and Miami’s very much in this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back