2021 Recruiting

In today's game, there are 3 things big men have to be able to do in order to have success -- rebound, block shots, and run the floor. Coming out of HS, Dewan did that as well as anyone in his class. You say he was overrated, I say he was misused and underachieved. This isn't 80's basketball where you walk the ball up the court and feed it into the post to let the big man go to work. The way the game has evolved, players like Joel Embid and Hassan Whiteside will be extinct in another year or two. Big men today have to be able to face the basket, knock down the mid-range shot and attack the rim, among other things.
To me, a 5 star HS player is one who is expected to contribute significantly from Day One. That's what I meant about Dewan. Not that he didn't have an excellent skills set (which he was just starting to consistently display when it all came crashing down).

Advertisement
In today's game, there are 3 things big men have to be able to do in order to have success -- rebound, block shots, and run the floor. Coming out of HS, Dewan did that as well as anyone in his class. You say he was overrated, I say he was misused and underachieved. This isn't 80's basketball where you walk the ball up the court and feed it into the post to let the big man go to work. The way the game has evolved, players like Joel Embid and Hassan Whiteside will be extinct in another year or two. Big men today have to be able to face the basket, knock down the mid-range shot and attack the rim, among other things.
Disagree about Embid. He's a half decent shooter.

Agree on Embiid.

Patrick Ewing was a big man at G'town who never took mid or long-range shots. At the end, with the Knicks, he was a 3 point bomber. Based on his college career, no one could ever have predicted that!

Agree on Embiid.

Patrick Ewing was a big man at G'town who never took mid or long-range shots. At the end, with the Knicks, he was a 3 point bomber. Based on his college career, no one could ever have predicted that!
I mean patrick was a mid range fade away or face up guy. Not a three point bomber. He had 2 year he took over 20 threes while shooting 28% and 14% so someone should've told him to stop immediately. His last 3 year he took 2 threes per year.......i think you mixed mid range with 3s. Still he was a great player.

Advertisement
Not 100% sure what you mean, but you're mistaken if you're insinuating that Wiseman is the same as Whiteside and Embid. Wiseman is much more mobile and athletic than those two and fits today's style of play. Wiseman is not just a back to the basket player. In fact, instead of a post-up game, he uses dribble moves and instead of a hook shot he's got a mid-range jumper. He doesn't rely on brute strength, he relies a lot on finesse and skill. I'd be willing to say he's already a better ball-handler than many NBA centers and hasn't even played in an NBA game yet. Just because he's a 7-footer doesn't mean he's your typical back to the basket sloth. The kid gets up and down the floor with relative ease, contests shots and rebounds. He'll transition to today's NBA game just fine.
He's literally being compared to Dwight Howard, embiid, and others.

You would be hard pressed to find any of his Memphis highlights showing the player you're speaking of concerning good shooting and dribbling.

That being said for me he player comps to KG as his ceiling and Marvin bagley as floor. He's more so of a PF who can and will play center in the league.

Emiid, jokic, vucevic will still be here in two years.

Last edited:
He's literally being compared to Dwight Howard.
You would be hard pressed to find any of his Memphis highlights showing the player you're speaking of concerning good shooting and dribbling.

That's a fair comparison, but I will say that Wiseman coming into the league is much more skilled than what Howard was when he came into the league back in 04. Point I was making is (read the last 2 sentences in the post you referenced) that slow centers, who struggle to get up and down the floor are no longer an integral part of the plan if you're trying to win an NBA title. The game has changed drastically from 10-15 years ago. It's practically a position-less game today, 4 perimeter players and an athletic big.

Deandre Ayton was the #1 pick two years ago and he's more comparable to centers of the past than Wiseman. I'd be surprised if Wiseman doesn't end up having the better career when it's all said and done.

Feel free to bump this in a few years.

Disagree about Embid. He's a half decent shooter.

Embid is a decent outside shooting big man. Definitely not one of his strengths. Problem with bigs like him is he slows the game down for Philly's offense. Philly, like the rest of the NBA is trying to put up as many shots as they can, to score as much as possible. They want to get up and down the floor, and when they get into half court sets they're looking to run screens for their guards or to free up their wings. Defensive rules in the NBA have made it easier for defenses to collapse inside. So, if you're big who can't hit outside shots spotting up or off the pick n' pop then it's going to be tough to keep them on the floor. It happened to Whiteside in Miami. It happened to Demarcus Cousins in Golden State. And to a lesser extent it's happening to Embid.

It's already happening, but over the course of the next couple of years we're going to see more bigs like Adebayo than like Embid.

Embid is a decent outside shooting big man. Definitely not one of his strengths. Problem with bigs like him is he slows the game down for Philly's offense. Philly, like the rest of the NBA is trying to put up as many shots as they can, to score as much as possible. They want to get up and down the floor, and when they get into half court sets they're looking to run screens for their guards or to free up their wings. Defensive rules in the NBA have made it easier for defenses to collapse inside. So, if you're big who can't hit outside shots spotting up or off the pick n' pop then it's going to be tough to keep them on the floor. It happened to Whiteside in Miami. It happened to Demarcus Cousins in Golden State. And to a lesser extent it's happening to Embid.

It's already happening, but over the course of the next couple of years we're going to see more bigs like Adebayo than like Embid.
I hear you on that for sure. That's why I feel like a guy like Markus Howard was kinda overlooked this year. That boy can can shoot, score, & run. Denver was a nice spot for him to sign. That's just one example to backup what you're saying.

Advertisement
Do we have any chance? We are running out of options

We have a chance until he commits and signs somewhere else. Given that he has some desire to play against UNC and Duke that makes Miami somewhat favorable along with Wake Forest and NC State.
There are still good bigs available but getting one to commit would lower the panic level amongst the fan base.

My BDay is also 12/10... Can I please have a "nice thing"???

1607389187201.png

(***** Marquette, CBs)

Advertisement

Jokic is slow as all **** but I see what you're saying.

AD is the perfect example of what you're talking about.

Advertisement
Looks like we're getting another transfer big this year. I don't mind it but it's not a sustainable way of roster building IMO

Advertisement
Back