2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think I take Aidoo over Castro if we're purely comparing the two. Etienne is an instant impact possible 1-2 year league type of guy whereas the other two are more projects. Not feeling great about Castro coming here and honestly if we're strong in the running for Aidoo, he's a take over Castro. Still a top 10 is risky, but I think it's us vs Kansas who happen to have two PFs committed. Providence probably gets Castro and we try to get Etienne + Aidoo. That's ideal but realistically with our big man recruiting we miss on 2/3 of those guys and look to a transfer to bring help in the frontcourt.

So Miami has 3 commits, who knows if Sam comes back now that his season is over. How many more guys are they going to take? 2-3? I’d assume we are major players for that Yale transfer, Castro, and Eitenne.

Personally, I don't think Sam is coming back. Neither he nor Miami has anything to gain by him playing another year. Sam should start his pro career in New Zealand as he already has his degree.
I really like the idea of Paul Atkinson (Yale transfer), Mac Etienne and Jonas Aidou added to Anthony Walker and Deng Gak makes Miami pretty good.
I still think Earl will turn pro after the season so Miami would have another scholarship available. At that point, a wing player would be the priority.

Miami: "They just talk about their program and how I could really fit in there program and be a big time ACC big in that program for them."

Q: How would you describe your game if nobody has watched you play before?

A: "My game is pretty versatile. I can stretch the floor, rebound on both ends, protect the rim and I can facilitate the floor too."

Q: When do you plan on committing?

A: "I plan on committing around January or February."

Advertisement

A top 100 player in the class of 2021 – ranked No. 90 in the 247Sports top 150 – big man Jonas Aidoo has made the first cut to his list.

The mobile big man who can also shoot from the perimeter with near seven-foot size is now down to Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, NC State, Providence, South Carolina, Tennessee and Wake Forest.

That Aidoo is down to 10 is news, but don’t look for things to go much beyond the initial cutdown anytime soon. After all he’s a bit of a late bloomer that schools really started recruiting a few months ago, he can’t take any visits and none of the schools recruiting him can see him play in person.

Expect his recruitment to be intense, though. There simply aren’t many legitimate high major level big men left and while Aidoo still has to get stronger and show a little more consistency, he has big time upside. The juice is worth the squeeze here and his recruitment is likely going to be one of the most intense we see throughout the next few months.

Advertisement
Wonder if Sam's injury changed the likelihood of him coming back next year, which in turn effected the staff's approach towards Castro. Alternatively, maybe Atkinson is effecting the calculus, idk.

I continue to believe though, that Dayton was Castro's #1 and they pulled his offer after Washington committed, which begs the question, how much separation was/is there between #2 (seemingly Providence) and #3 (us)?

Listening to the media day press conference from a couple days ago (full presser: ), Jim wasn't as forceful in saying that none of the seniors were coming back as Barry made it sound in an article a couple weeks ago. If I'm Jim, I'm doing whatever it takes to keep Nysier around another season. That would really help in balancing the classes and would drastically lessen our reliance on freshman bigs next year. Having senior Nysier, junior Deng, and a frosh big would be a pretty solid rotation.

One non-basketball thing that stood out to me from the press conference was how charismatic Rodney is. Susan asked one of her usual directionless questions that took five different turns and wrapped up without asking anything in particular, and Rodney handled it like a seasoned politician. Even bought himself some time to come up with a coherent answer by starting with, "That's an excellent question Susan..." which made me bust out laughing. Rod's a terrible basketball player, but he'd make a pretty good color guy for the ACC network when his playing career is done. Meanwhile, Brooks could barely get three words out of his mouth without stumbling. Quite the contrast.

Wonder if Sam's injury changed the likelihood of him coming back next year, which in turn effected the staff's approach towards Castro. Alternatively, maybe Atkinson is effecting the calculus, idk.

I continue to believe though, that Dayton was Castro's #1 and they pulled his offer after Washington committed, which begs the question, how much separation was/is there between #2 (seemingly Providence) and #3 (us)?

Listening to the media day press conference from a couple days ago (full presser: ), Jim wasn't as forceful in saying that none of the seniors were coming back as Barry made it sound in an article a couple weeks ago. If I'm Jim, I'm doing whatever it takes to keep Nysier around another season. That would really help in balancing the classes and would drastically lessen our reliance on freshman bigs next year. Having senior Nysier, junior Deng, and a frosh big would be a pretty solid rotation.

One non-basketball thing that stood out to me from the press conference was how charismatic Rodney is. Susan asked one of her usual directionless questions that took five different turns and wrapped up without asking anything in particular, and Rodney handled it like a seasoned politician. Even bought himself some time to come up with a coherent answer by starting with, "That's an excellent question Susan..." which made me bust out laughing. Rod's a terrible basketball player, but he'd make a pretty good color guy for the ACC network when his playing career is done. Meanwhile, Brooks could barely get three words out of his mouth without stumbling. Quite the contrast.

I have not changed my position on the seniors. As much as I have enjoyed watching Sam play and his injury is unfortunate.
It is still in the best interest of Sam and Canes Hoops that he continues his playing career as a professional in New Zealand. Another year in school does not benefit any of our seniors. Most of them already have their degree or will graduate this summer. Let's root for them to make a Sweet Sixteen run like our other 5 senior lead teams from 2012 and 2016.
I agree with you on Castro and that does happen more often than people realize in recruiting. Players really don't know if they are option A, B or C. Only the top 20 are option A most of the time.
At this point, Miami would have a very good frontcourt next season with Paul Atkinson Jr, Mac Etienne and Jonas Aidoo along with Anthony Walker and Deng Gak. Those three would be an upgrade in talent, which is what this roster needs.
I hope Coach L does not backtrack and adjust his plan. He should continue to focus on using all scholarships on new players.

I think signing any one of the trio you mention will be a real battle. Especially Atkinson, who will be in very high demand, IMO. We'd definitely be stepping up in class with Etienne or Aidoo.

Advertisement
I think signing any one of the trio you mention will be a real battle. Especially Atkinson, who will be in very high demand, IMO. We'd definitely be stepping up in class with Etienne or Aidoo.

You are correct. Paul Atkinson will have plenty of suitors. He was the 2020 Ivy League POY and he will probably repeat that feat again this season. I look forward to seeing him improve on his 17 point, 7 rebound average.
He is a native of West Palm Beach and Miami has a clear opening at the 5.
Playing in the ACC for the local team should be the selling point. It worked for Zach Johnson and Keith Stone.
Miami should push hard for all three and they have a good chance for all three. Of course, winning helps but there is a lot of playing time available at Miami.

On a team with a future NBA draft pick upcoming in Jay Scrubb, Sydney Curry was never hidden on the floor with John A Logan. His size instantly screams potential at 6-foot-8 and nearly 250-pounds. This summer, he has been doing a lot more conditioning and working on his game.

Last season, he averaged 13.5 points and eight rebounds. He also blocked more than 22 shots last season, a number I expect to watch improve as the season moves forward.

His recruitment has also reached new heights with even more high-majors showing him interest with the last two schools entering the mix with offers being Kansas and Texas A&M. Yesterday, he virtually met with Buzz Williams and A&M’s staff. They have been in full pursuit mode on Curry and have extended it into a new gear over the last few days.

Who’s involved?

Curry: “The schools that are on me heavy are Kansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, UCF, and Seton Hall.”

Describe Sydney Curry’s game.

Curry: “I’m an athletic forward that likes to attack the rim and rebound the ball and finish.”

Commitment timeline?

Curry: “I’d like to make my decision in the next few months but no exact date yet.”

If he commits to Kansas then that could take them out of the picture for Jonas Aidoo. That would benefit Miami in their recruitment of Aidoo.

Advertisement
Back