2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
I'm rooting for Holmes to choose Dayton because I "think" that might be an influence for Rafael Castro to choose Canes over Dayton (currently 1 & 2 forecast choice by most, with Canes 2nd). Go Dayton!

(Rafael: If you are reading this, the new "best places to live" rankings just came out... Miami was way ahead of Dayton, and would be even better with you HERE!)

Larranaga said he anticipates adding six recruits this cycle - so far UM has commitments from Jakai Robinson, Nisine Poplar and Bensley Joseph.

Given our depth and ability not to fill all 13 scholarships the last two years, this is actually good news. I agree with the strategy.

Advertisement

Larranaga said he anticipates adding six recruits this cycle - so far UM has commitments from Jakai Robinson, Nisine Poplar and Bensley Joseph.

Given our depth and ability not to fill all 13 scholarships the last two years, this is actually good news. I agree with the strategy.
I think if we start the season strong, it should be a good sell to some of the guys we're trying to get. Specifically Etienne.

Don't agree with Olaniyi not attempting to get the waiver with the free year. It can't hurt to have him available and more depth. Also surprised that none of the seniors would plan on staying, especially guys like Miller and Waardenburg. But good for them if they all think they can go player overseas or just want to stop with basketball altogether after this.

I think if we start the season strong, it should be a good sell to some of the guys we're trying to get. Specifically Etienne.

The sooner the better with Mac Etienne. I don't want him to be like Lance Ware last season. I don't want to see Kentucky offer and he immediately commit to them.

Don't agree with Olaniyi not attempting to get the waiver with the free year. It can't hurt to have him available and more depth. Also surprised that none of the seniors would plan on staying, especially guys like Miller and Waardenburg. But good for them if they all think they can go player overseas or just want to stop with basketball altogether after this.

In fairness, I have always seen Olaniyi as Earl Timberlake insurance. Elijah would start at the 3 next season in case Earl turn pro after this season.
Also, all of our seniors should enjoy their final season at Miami as I agree with the coaches decision to upgrade the talent on the roster.
With the right recruits, Miami should be good again next season if we fill all of our scholarships.

Advertisement

This one is interesting. I like him because he is a bigger wing but I didn't know if Miami would remain interested in him after Robinson committed.
Seems like they are which is a good sign.

My reading of the tea leaves is that Castro was going to commit here a month ago, until Washington told the staff that they were legit in it. The staff then told Castro they might not have a spot for him, so Castro postponed his announcement. My guess is we'll almost certainly get one of the two, and whichever one comes will be a small ball 4 in the Amp mold (though Castro isn't really all that small anymore having just hit a growth spurt).

My reading of the tea leaves is that Castro was going to commit here a month ago, until Washington told the staff that they were legit in it. The staff then told Castro they might not have a spot for him, so Castro postponed his announcement. My guess is we'll almost certainly get one of the two, and whichever one comes will be a small ball 4 in the Amp mold (though Castro isn't really all that small anymore having just hit a growth spurt).

Interesting and you could be right. Given that Miami has three scholarships left, I am not sure why they would not take them both. Miami is capable of taking Washington and Castro with a scholarship left for Mac Etienne.
Projecting further out, Earl can turn pro after the season and that would free up a scholarship for Paul Atkinson Jr, the Yale Grad transfer.
That would make a lot of sense to me.

Advertisement
Interesting and you could be right. Given that Miami has three scholarships left, I am not sure why they would not take them both. Miami is capable of taking Washington and Castro with a scholarship left for Mac Etienne.
Projecting further out, Earl can turn pro after the season and that would free up a scholarship for Paul Atkinson Jr, the Yale Grad transfer.
That would make a lot of sense to me.

I would think the last 3 spots will go to a small 4 (Castro/Washington), a rim protecting 5 (hopefully one of Mac/Aidoo/Wheeler), and a grad transfer 5 who can also protect the rim. Like you said, if Earl goes, they probably also go after a grad transfer 4, aka Atkinson.

That they're already after Atkinson suggests to me they either think he's really good and want him even if it comes at the expense of a grad transfer 5, or they're pretty sure Earl's a goner.

Advertisement

He and Efton Reid are probably second options if Mac Etienne does not commit to Miami. It will be interesting to see who is in his top 5.

Castro seems to have good upside, in terms of having good fundamentals and skills to build on. The one thing I didn't see in any film was what kind of perimeter game he has at this point. Everything I saw had him running the court and scoring at the rim off turnovers and fast breaks.

Good height at 6'10 but ... is he only 200 pounds?

Advertisement
Back