2021 Recruiting

Announcing on Friday, what are the chances it's us? Like both Etienne and Kepnang, but will gladly take Castro as a project. Looks like Gak was supposed to be for us. Definitely needs to add mass. I feel like he's almost not a take for us anymore, but who knows. I think he ends up choosing Dayton or something, but can also see it being us.
He looks in the films available a lot more "meaty" than Gak, and a lot more agile and athletic than Rodney (who does his best but well "U" know).

I for one think Castro would be a very good addition to an already good class of commits (which I hope encourages him to go Cane) so I'm hoping for Friday. I have read that Dayton might be the favorite of the 3 though, but it didn't sound like a done deal.

Advertisement
Jekiri, Izundu, Miller, Gak. First two projects worked out OK. If we have to go that route, fine, but sure would be nice to get a 'ready to contribute" guy for a change.

In fairness, player development sounds good right now but no one wants to go through the losses that come with those learning experience.
Very few people he wanted to wait for Anthony Mack to develop into a better player.
Just saying.

After missing on three wings, how does Illinois stack up for Bryce Hopkins and Mac Etienne?

I almost forgot Mac Etienne, the big man at Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster who ranks No. 44 in the Composite. There’s not much out there on him in the rumor mill right now, but Illinois is thought to be in pretty good shape and has done a nice job laying a foundation with him. The Illini and Miami are the two I’ve heard mentioned the most with him.

Miami definitely has more immediate playing time available for him. Even if Miami got him and Frank Kepnang, there are major minutes available for both at the 5 next season.

Advertisement
In fairness, player development sounds good right now but no one wants to go through the losses that come with those learning experience.
Very few people he wanted to wait for Anthony Mack to develop into a better player.
Just saying.
True in all sports, at all levels. Immediate competence required, from Day One. Just ask the now-benched Dwayne Haskins with the Washington Football Team (went from starter to #3, overnight).

Coaches get fired if their team doesn't win and while you're "developing" a weak link, you have to be concerned about the morale of the other players on the team who are thinking "We'd be winning if x got those minutes." These days, developing players is a luxury.

Just saying.
Think it was very clear that he was not a ACC caliber player. Based on what I saw from him I’m surprised he was a d1 player in all seriousness

1602261420254.png

Well, seems we will NOT be hearing Castro's choice today. Still hopeful here! Go Canes!

Advertisement
Advertisement

Now that Frank is off the board, the staff should focus on Mac Etienne along with Rafael Castro, Jonas Aidou, Efton Reid and Roosevelt Wheeler.

Last edited:

Fudge received a Miami offer but he has chosen LSU. I am not surprised given that Miami already has two wing commitments.

The Oregon Ducks are an interesting comparison as a hoops program to UM. They do NOT have a storied basketball history. Yeah, I know they won the very first NCAA Tourney back in 1939 but ... it took them 78 years (until 2017) to make another Final Four.

Their facility (12000 seat arena) is slightly bigger than ours but the PAC12 is no ACC in terms of how it's perceived. The Wooden days for the league are long gone. Like at UM, football is king at Oregon. They also have no marquee hoops names that they can point to as UO grads who have ever done much in the NBA. They've had respected coaches but no really household names.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Oregon Ducks are an interesting comparison as a hoops program to UM. They do NOT have a storied basketball history. Yeah, I know they won the very first NCAA Tourney back in 1939 but ... it took them 78 years (until 2017) to make another Final Four.

Their facility (12000 seat arena) is slightly bigger than ours but the PAC12 is no ACC in terms of how it's perceived. The Wooden days for the league are long gone. Like at UM, football is king at Oregon. They also have no marquee hoops names that they can point to as UO grads who have ever done much in the NBA. They've had respected coaches but no really household names.
There is zero comparison

Deng Gak's brother will not be a Hurricane.
Deng had the same type of game until the injuries derailed his career.
Hopefully, Deng will bounce back this season.

Thank God, I can barely stomach one Gak, let alone two.

And I would have to disagree, injuries didn't derail Deng's basketball career, Deng being a terrible basketball player is what derailed his basketball career. The injuries were just the sh*t icing on top of the sh*t cake. He's basically thin Rodney with ACLs made out of silly putty.

Advertisement
Back