2021 Recruiting Class Countdown: #15-11

View as article
I have been watching Brinson play at Traz since 10th grade. IMHO, Brinson is legitimately tall and very fast. Brinson has a knack for making big plays. He attacks the ball. IMHO, Brinson is one of the best WRs in Florida, maybe the entire country. I see him as a freshman who could play right away.

Brinson is an early enrollee. Maybe I am wrong, but we will see what he can do this Spring and Fall
Brinson ended up not enrolling early. I’d be surprised if he plays.

Anyone who makes a list knows it’s going to get pushback. It’s just how it goes.

I hope he’s the best player in the history of our program when it’s all said and done and every time I post another list people point to the Brinson eval with the Nelson ha ha gif.

Advertisement
Brinson ended up not enrolling early. I’d be surprised if he plays.

Anyone who makes a list knows it’s going to get pushback. It’s just how it goes.

I hope he’s the best player in the history of our program when it’s all said and done and every time I post another list people point to the Brinson eval with the Nelson ha ha gif.
Understood. I could be wrong, as I have been wrong before, but Brinson looked special to me.

For example, I just remember going to watch Northwestern when Brinson was a sophomore, wearing #80. Northwestern had a great defense that year, and very little on offense. Max Edwards was having a tough season because that was before the FSHAA realignment, so northwestern had to go through the Traz Powell gauntlet to make it to the State Championship. Northwestern started the season 5-5, but they played good defense.

Then, out of nowhere, I started seeing this #80 making big plays and Northwestern went on a run to win the State Championship. At that point, I knew #80 was a special player. On the level of Amari Cooper, Eli Rogers and other great MNW WRs.

Brinson’s next two seasons were more of the same. Brinson changed his jersey to #1, but he made a ton of special plays, and big plays just looked easy to him. He burned D-1 CBs every week. IMHO, No CB could shut him down, even when Northwestern’s offense struggled.

Understood. I could be wrong, as I have been wrong before, but Brinson looked special to me.

For example, I just remember going to watch Northwestern when Brinson was a sophomore, wearing #80. Northwestern had a great defense that year, and very little on offense. Max Edwards was having a tough season because that was before the FSHAA realignment, so northwestern had to go through the Traz Powell gauntlet to make it to the State Championship. Northwestern started the season 5-5, but they played good defense.

Then, out of nowhere, I started seeing this #80 making big plays and Northwestern went on a run to win the State Championship. At that point, I knew #80 was a special player. On the level of Amari Cooper, Eli Rogers and other great MNW WRs.

Brinson’s next two seasons were more of the same. Brinson changed his jersey to #1, but he made a ton of special plays, and big plays just looked easy to him. He burned D-1 CBs every week. IMHO, No CB could shut him down, even when Northwestern’s offense struggled.
Keep in mind I gave him a 7. He’s going to be a good college WR I believe.

It’s a good WR group. Still missing the guy I see as an Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Julio Jones.

Keep in mind I gave him a 7. He’s going to be a good college WR I believe.

It’s a good WR group. Still missing the guy I see as an Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Julio Jones.
BTW, this might be the best WR class at the U in years. George, Smith and Brinson all bring different traits, but they are all high quality football players

It cannot be the case that Brinson and Smith are both 9+ kids on a scale of 1-10. Call them what you want. They're both top 30 WR recruits in the country. FSU and Clemson signed WRs higher rated on 247. The word 'potential' may confuse people in the number ranking here but just step back and think about it. What's the chance that each of those guys is a NFL draft pick? 50%? Less probably. They're 7-8s, not 9-10s.

I was talking about Chase Smith in this case. Though I also think Brashard is a 9. I’m a little off everyone else’s reads this year though. I like Chase more than JW so maybe I’m not calibrating correctly as you point out.

Lance’s observation on Brinson not being the go to receiver does have me concerned. But when I saw his highlights, I thought I was watching an Ahmmon clone. It’s hard not being present at games to get the best read. But from HUDL, my eyes tell me the kid has potential to be special, as do both Smiths.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Not liking what I am hearing from Brinson as far as breakdown. Tell me this isnt another Aldarius Johnson situation where he struggled to take his game to the next level in college because he wasnt a particulary great athlete..?

Tyler Johnson being this high wont excite the folks who wanted him thrown out the class. Chase Smith sounds super boom or super bust as well. You were spot on with TD and SI evals.
I think ill pat myself on the back here when it came to Brinson. LOL.

Chase has turned into definitely a "boom or bust" going into his 3rd year with the program.

Good job on these evals @Lance Roffers ...nail on head with alot of them.

No, I called Brinson. Took all kinds of crap in this thread for his ranking.

In fact, I’d say my ranking of Brinson is some if my best work.
"While he might not be a world-class athlete, he has excellent spatial awareness and can catch the ball while being pressured. He has the ability to make everything look easy and is so smooth he is creating separation routinely"

Was referring to this. Brinson didn't do much but creating separation certainlywasnt something he did. His route running was poor at best.

I really mess with this thread. It'd be nice to have more of this where we have a comprehensive place to look back and see where opinions stood. I love the detail on how you grade (linear speed, frame, etc.).

We always assume the 3 stars we recruit are the ones that everyone overlooked and that our top 50 players are guaranteed Day 1 draft picks. Need more sobering opinions.

Advertisement
I really mess with this thread. It'd be nice to have more of this where we have a comprehensive place to look back and see where opinions stood. I love the detail on how you grade (linear speed, frame, etc.).

We always assume the 3 stars we recruit are the ones that everyone overlooked and that our top 50 players are guaranteed Day 1 draft picks. Need more sobering opinions.
I made the mistake of slanting an opinion more positive than the film told me once (Tommy Kennedy). I decided after that I was going to simply put it out there as I saw it and take what came from it, rather than trying to be positive.

There are times I’m wrong, everyone is, but it’s has served me well.

I made the mistake of slanting an opinion more positive than the film told me once (Tommy Kennedy). I decided after that I was going to simply put it out there as I saw it and take what came from it, rather than trying to be positive.

There are times I’m wrong, everyone is, but it’s has served me well.
100%. I've finally been beaten sober by the last 16 years. Crazy that the highs were so high that it took this long.

No longer am I assuming we're going 9-3 at minimum and will be in Charlotte. And I'm no longer assuming every safety we get is either the next coming of Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. Especially not after the Gurvan Hall experiment.

I don't think you did one of these last year and if you didn't I'll venmo you enough for a beverage at a reasonably priced location, on happy hour, during lunch time to do one this year.

100%. I've finally been beaten sober by the last 16 years. Crazy that the highs were so high that it took this long.

No longer am I assuming we're going 9-3 at minimum and will be in Charlotte. And I'm no longer assuming every safety we get is either the next coming of Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. Especially not after the Gurvan Hall experiment.

I don't think you did one of these last year and if you didn't I'll venmo you enough for a beverage at a reasonably priced location, on happy hour, during lunch time to do one this year.
That’s super kind of you to say. I’m writing for another site now, and will most likely do one there.

I also do a podcast that talks through film and X/O stuff etc. if you’re ever inclined. The Review U with Lance Roffers.

Advertisement
Back