2021 QB Jay Allen

Advertisement
Nice bounce back day for Allen. He looked solid in the throwing competition today. He did better then Luke Altmeyer,Garrett Nusemier Tyler Buchner and other's

It can be done. People just make these kids specialize at younger age but its been done before, it can be done again. Kid must be talented

Kenny Kelly.

He played outfield and had a rocket for an arm. Then in practice he would rifle the **** ball over receivers head...

Advertisement
The Miami Hurricanes appear to be in an advantageous position with three-star quarterback and elite, five-tool outfield prospect Jay Allen as the only school recruiting the Fort Pierce John Carroll prospect. Allen is rising as a QB recruit after appearing at the Elite 11 QB camp in Murfreesboro, Tennessee last week.

Allen is currently commited to Florida for baseball but has recently stated he would like to play football and baseball in college. With the Miami football team currently without a QB commited for 2021 and Gino DiMare seemingly on board to allow Allen to play for the Hurricanes baseball team, Allen seems like a good fit for both.

Allen is listed as the 120th ranked athlete and 200th ranked player in Florida in the Class of 2021 by 247Sports. Both those numbers seem low. Florida would reportedly allow Allen to play football and baseball, but Gators head football coach Dan Mullen likes him better as a defensive back than a QB.

In an interview with Rivals.Com Florida Site Gators territory published on Sunday, Allen spoke about his recruitment, the thought of playing both sports in college, the impact that will have on his decision, his commitment to Florida and how the Major League Baseball draft will play into all that.

Thank you to the Elite 11 staff for this amazing experience! https://t.co/tw1ReBthY4
— Jay Allen (@JayAllen_1) July 1, 2020
“I’ve talked to South Carolina, Miami and Penn State. Penn State talked to me a while back and Miami has been in contact with my high school head coach. My commitment to Florida is very solid. Although, the thought of playing both sports in college being a possibility could make some things change.
I really don’t try to pay attention to the draft process right now. I’ve heard and seen some mock drafts that have me going in the first round, but that’s about it.”
Allen is unlikely to play QB at Florida. Besides Mullen wanting Allen as a DB, the Gators have commitments from four-star pro-style QB Carlos DelRio and three-star pro-style Jalen Kitna. The way the recruiting is going for Allen, multiple factors are in the Miami Hurricanes favor. Allen has a huge ceiling at QB.

As a multi-sport athlete who also plays basketball, Allen has not had the time to develop his skills at QB as much as the other elite signal callers for 2021. Allen’s participation at Elite 11 shows that he is highly thought of as a QB. The recruitment of Allen is a good option for Miami without a QB currently commited for 2021.

I was never optimistic about Garcia, was never that high on him either, I just trusted that if Lashlee wanted him that I would be on board with it because Lashlee is a proven commodity as an OC/QB coach.

My thoughts on Milroe was contingent upon him being able to visit during the season while seeing how our offense would look with King, but OV's will essentially be cancelled this year unless he decides to visit on his own dime.

I'd still like for us to push for Milroe if the season takes place as regularly scheduled, but realistically speaking Jay Allen is a promising prospect who's equally as talented in Baseball as he is in Football, plus he's a local that could make the transition easier under the C19 circumstances than trying to get a LA kid out here, and flipping a really good baseball player from UF is always great.

I like his upside as a developmental kid that we can redshirt his Freshman year, let him play Baseball then by his Red Frosh/Red Sophomore year turn him loose after he's been refined & gets comfortable in the offense.

I'm into it. Only apprehension I have is this would be 3 straight classes taking somewhat of a developmental kid rather than a more "college ready" prospect. Now, 2 things to that: 1. You could argue (and I have many times) that there are less sure things at QB than any other position. So who is really college ready and who is developmental? These kids bust at the highest rate of any other position grouping. There's certainly no guarantee that Garcia or Milroe amount to **** in college. And also, 2. I'm sure someone will tell me TVD is not a developmental kid, although I could argue to the contrary. But that's another discussion.

But Matocha, TVD, and this kid in 3 straight classes.....someone better be nailing one of these evals or it's going to be Grad Transfer U for the foreseeable future here.

I am cemented in the camp that you MUST take a QB in every class. So, with Covid, a new staff needing to prove itself, the program as a whole needing to prove a whole lot to attract elite, non-local kids.....if this is the best you think you can get, I'm all for it. His film is certainly intriguing.

Advertisement
I'm into it. Only apprehension I have is this would be 3 straight classes taking somewhat of a developmental kid rather than a more "college ready" prospect. Now, 2 things to that: 1. You could argue (and I have many times) that there are less sure things at QB than any other position. So who is really college ready and who is developmental? These kids bust at the highest rate of any other position grouping. There's certainly no guarantee that Garcia or Milroe amount to **** in college. And also, 2. I'm sure someone will tell me TVD is not a developmental kid, although I could argue to the contrary. But that's another discussion.

But Matocha, TVD, and this kid in 3 straight classes.....someone better be nailing one of these evals or it's going to be Grad Transfer U for the foreseeable future here.

I am cemented in the camp that you MUST take a QB in every class. So, with Covid, a new staff needing to prove itself, the program as a whole needing to prove a whole lot to attract elite, non-local kids.....if this is the best you think you can get, I'm all for it. His film is certainly intriguing.
Don't remove context bro...

Visits have been cancelled since March, therefore this isn't an ordinary class for recruiting in the sense that the majority of our entire class is local kids who have already been on campus before & have familiarity with Miami.

It would be virtually impossible to really land a big time non-local QB that has never visited Miami while simultaneously not being able to travel during a Quarantine due to a Global pandemic.

Unfortunately, because the state of Florida & South FL locally has been pretty weak at QB since Lamar who class of 2015 we don't really have the benefit of being able to accidentally stumble into a top tier QB like other programs can who have better access to more game ready QB's & you have to also consider the fact we've been "Pro Style Bro !" U literally up until this January. Think about that for a second, we literally just got on the Uptempo Spread wave, when teams were on it over a decade ago, which means we've shot ourselves in the foot in QB recruiting for nearly 20 years trying to hold on for dear life to the 80's/90's.

If we weren't under Quarantine without visits being restricted I'm sure we would be in it for probably a better selection of national QB's, but no QB has seen with their own eyes what the offense will look like yet, so it's a tougher sell to make than it usually would be.

Don't remove context bro...

Visits have been cancelled since March, therefore this isn't an ordinary class for recruiting in the sense that the majority of our entire class is local kids who have already been on campus before & have familiarity with Miami.

It would be virtually impossible to really land a big time non-local QB that has never visited Miami while simultaneously not being able to travel during a Quarantine due to a Global pandemic.

Unfortunately, because the state of Florida & South FL locally has been pretty weak at QB since Lamar who class of 2015 we don't really have the benefit of being able to accidentally stumble into a top tier QB like other programs can who have better access to more game ready QB's & you have to also consider the fact we've been "Pro Style Bro !" U literally up until this January. Think about that for a second, we literally just got on the Uptempo Spread wave, when teams were on it over a decade ago, which means we've shot ourselves in the foot in QB recruiting for nearly 20 years trying to hold on for dear life to the 80's/90's.

If we weren't under Quarantine without visits being restricted I'm sure we would be in it for probably a better selection of national QB's, but no QB has seen with their own eyes what the offense will look like yet, so it's a tougher sell to make than it usually would be.

Well said. You’re right, this is some unprecedented stuff we’re dealing with. I just really think in normal times we’d have a good shot with Milroe. But him not being able to visit and there being a really good chance we don’t even get to prove anything on the field, I guess you have to take what you can get at this point with the non-local kids. I’d be on board with this kid.

You are really setting a new standard for stupid posts.

Van Dyke is a "developmental kid"? Good lord, the idiocy that you read on this site...

Advertisement

I'm not certain what you consider a "developmental kid" at QB, but under most reasonable metrics TVD is not that. You could argue all HS QBs are "developmental kids," to some degree, since none of them have perfected their craft and they all need some work. ****, Jarren Williams was a highly rated guy that a lot of people thought was a (more or less) college ready QB, and now he's competing for work at Garden City Community College.

TVD was a legit two-sport athlete. Plus athlete with quick feet for the position. Good size for the position. As a senior, completed 123 of 200 passes (61.5%) for 2260 yards, 21 TDs and 5 INTs. Ran for an additional 139 yards and 4 TDs rushing. Led his school to an undefeated State Championship season. As a recruit, he was a composite 4*, top 250 player, and a finalist at the Opening. Like most HS QBs, he could probably use some S&C to add some arm strength, and his release can use some tightening up. Like most HS QBs, he's going to have to get used to the athletes and competition of P5 football. He may need some adjustment to a spread offense, but many QBs don't jump into the same offensive scheme they played in college.

I guess ultimately if you consider a "developmental QB" as any kid who will need a year before competing for a starting role (without an injury to the guy ahead of him), then TVD is probably a "developmental QB" (along with like 90% of NCAA QBs). Other than that, I'm sure we'll all find out together.

Finally got around to watching these highlights. He shows tremendous athleticism. Great creativity and improvisation skills. And he seems to do just fine under pressure.

But those feet... a lot of throws off the back foot for no reason. And he has this odd tendency to bring his lead foot back towards his body during his throwing motion (before his release). Instead of stepping through the throw, it's like he's bringing his lead foot back into it instead. I'm no QB guru, but that throwing motion is going to need some work.

Still a potentially a take under the circumstances, with some real upside if you can work out the kinks and train him up. And yes, this is a kid I would call a developmental QB (but again, what do I know).

Will you stick to the secretary stuff and leave talking ball to the adults please? There’s gotta be a FAFSA around or something you can devote some attention to.

What an ***-clown you are.

I point out that TVD is absolutely NOT a "developmental QB" and you get ****y.

No Fly Zone points out that TVD is NOT a "developmental QB" and you say nothing.

You consistently demonstrate why you are one of the most ill-informed porsters on this board.

Your new board nickname is ToiletBowlTragic.

Advertisement
Not a fan of this. Garcia is still out there, Braylon Braxton is still out there as well as recruitable guys like Salter, Drones and Justin Lamson. Braylon actually is the 29th best QB in the country via 247...and probably will keep rising. Don’t know what’s the holdup with the offer.

Not a fan of this. Garcia is still out there, Braylon Braxton is still out there as well as recruitable guys like Salter, Drones and Justin Lamson. Braylon actually is the 29th best QB in the country via 247...and probably will keep rising. Don’t know what’s the holdup with the offer.

And Arroyo has expressed interest via IG of playing with his QB Braxton. I still think Garcia is the top target but I would at least reach out to Braxton as a backup plan.

And Arroyo has expressed interest via IG of playing with his QB Braxton. I still think Garcia is the top target but I would at least reach out to Braxton as a backup plan.
****! Take em both if you feel Cam isn’t going to declare.

What an ***-clown you are.

I point out that TVD is absolutely NOT a "developmental QB" and you get ****y.

No Fly Zone points out that TVD is NOT a "developmental QB" and you say nothing.

You consistently demonstrate why you are one of the most ill-informed porsters on this board.

Your new board nickname is ToiletBowlTragic.

You think of this all on your own? Or did all of the guidance counselors pool together for this incredibly witty reply during the weekly Applebee’s happy hour?

Advertisement
Back