2021 QB Jay Allen

Advertisement
Let me refresh some memories here. Lamar Jackson? We sound like gator fans. I’m not saying the kid can’t play. But Lamar Jackson??!!!
If we would’ve had a spread offense back then and we land Lamar Jackson our team and college football in general would be very different indeed.

These Lamar Jackson highlights against some really good south Florida teams should have led to a Canes offer. I still can’t believe how we missed on that one —SMH❗

Last edited:
These Lamar Jackson highlights against some really good south Florida teams should have led to a Canes offer. I still can’t believe how we missed on that one
A lot of people did. But if you have a bunch of top receivers lined up and you have a dude like that commited it will have an impact if he doesn’t have passing yards or tds. Every receiver wants a dude that slings it. And I don’t think Jackson wanted to be anybody’s number two.

Let me refresh some memories here. Lamar Jackson? We sound like gator fans. I’m not saying the kid can’t play. But Lamar Jackson??!!!
If we would’ve had a spread offense back then and we land Lamar Jackson our team and college football in general would be very different indeed.

6 to 7 plays highlighting his crazy athleticism

before the first pass shown of him hitting a wide open streaking WR

People wanna have revisionist memory about Lamar...

same folks who wanna say they had OchoCinco and AB as guys they said were ballers and UM dropped the ball on

Advertisement
Not one mention of the best baseball/football player we’ve ever had in Kenny Kelly? I know he didn’t play at Miami baseball dude was doing minor league baseball and starting at QB

Last edited:
Advertisement
He definitely doesn't have Lamar Jackson's freakish athletic ability & pure speed, but he's is a natural athlete with very good ability. He's probably a better Baseball player than Football, but if he wants to play both he definitely has the talent to do so.

His arm is not that bad, he has good velocity on the ball & can sling it down field, he can make off platform throws & throws well on the run. The question with him will be his accuracy on throws outside the hashes & being more consistent with his base in his footwork.

To me he looks like Greg Ward Jr who was a very good athletic College QB & had really good Junior/Senior seasons.

If we can't flip Garcia I wouldn't mind flipping this kid from UF for both Football & Baseball, he also goes to Jahfari Harvey's old school John Carroll before he transferred to Vero Beach, in that Fort Pierce, Port St Lucie, Jensen etc regions north of PB that produces some pretty good football players & are areas we need to hit harder on the recruiting trail.

In the right system he can be developed into a good productive starter, if Lashlee offers him it'll be because they probably feel less confident in Garcia, or at least just having a backup plan in case the Garica situation doesn't work out.

6 to 7 plays highlighting his crazy athleticism

before the first pass shown of him hitting a wide open streaking WR

People wanna have revisionist memory about Lamar...

same folks who wanna say they had OchoCinco and AB as guys they said were ballers and UM dropped the ball on
I’m not saying anything about his passing. But hs coach saying that Jay is like Lamar is just crazy talk.
But despite his lack of passing, Jackson would be recruited by everyone today even with the tape he had. I know it doesn’t seem that long ago but having a few DT qb’s that won the heisman helps change things.

Wateva happened to him??

On January 6, 2017, Nashville, Tennessee newspaper (The Tennessean) reported that Treon Harris visited Tennessee State during the fall and has decided to continue his career with the Tigers. Tennessee State University coach Rod Reed said "Back during the fall when (Harris) didn't return to Florida and we were dealing with some injuries at quarterback and needed a guy that could come in we started a conversation with him." "He came up and visited for our game against Eastern Kentucky and liked what he saw. We stayed in contact after that." "He completed 50 percent of his passes with 18 touchdowns so he can run and throw the ball." "He's athletic and will fit into our system and what we like to do."

At TSU, Harris will be in competition for the starting quarterback position with O'Shay Ackerman-Carter, who started in seven games as a redshirt freshman in 2015 and three in 2016. Ackerman-Cater suffered season-ending injuries a shoulder injury in 2015 and a knee injury in 2016.

Coach Reed said "O'Shay doesn't mind that we're bringing in another quarterback; O'Shay's a competitor." "Obviously we saw over the last two years we need two really good quarterbacks."[10] Ultimately, Treon Harris would win the competition for the starting quarterback position over Ackerman-Carter, who would transfer from Tennessee State.[11]

For the 2017 season, Harris shared playing time at the quarterback position for Tennessee State Tigers with redshirt sophomore Michael Hughes. Starting in 5 of 6 games played at quarterback, Treon Harris completed 58-of-106 passes for 729 yards with 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, in addition to rushing 54 times for 318 yards and 3 touchdowns. Most notably, in the season opener versus FBS Georgia State, Harris put up 236 total yards, including 91 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown, in a 17–10 upset.

On March 19, 2018, The Tennessean reported that Harris transitioned to wide receiver.[12] In the 2018 season, Treon Harris caught 35 passes for 476 yards and 5 touchdowns. After the season, he was named to the 2018 Phil Steele All-Ohio Valley Conference Third Team.

Advertisement
He definitely doesn't have Lamar Jackson's freakish athletic ability & pure speed, but he's is a natural athlete with very good ability. He's probably a better Baseball player than Football, but if he wants to play both he definitely has the talent to do so.

His arm is not that bad, he has good velocity on the ball & can sling it down field, he can make off platform throws & throws well on the run. The question with him will be his accuracy on throws outside the hashes & being more consistent with his base in his footwork.

To me he looks like Greg Ward Jr who was a very good athletic College QB & had really good Junior/Senior seasons.

If we can't flip Garcia I wouldn't mind flipping this kid from UF for both Football & Baseball, he also goes to Jahfari Harvey's old school John Carroll before he transferred to Vero Beach, in that Fort Pierce, Port St Lucie, Jensen etc regions north of PB that produces some pretty good football players & are areas we need to hit harder on the recruiting trail.

In the right system he can be developed into a good productive starter, if Lashlee offers him it'll be because they probably feel less confident in Garcia, or at least just having a backup plan in case the Garica situation doesn't work out.
Could also play CB if it doesn't work out as a QB.

Could also play CB if it doesn't work out as a QB.
Jamie Boone a U alumni was recruited the same way , I came a scrimmage away from being the U starting QB but ended up a "star" DB and ended up playing for Cleveland Browns till he blew both knees.

These type of players are priceless "ball players" who are Blessed with instinctive field presence (vision) and non thinking eye hand coordination.

GOCANES

Advertisement
This kid has caught a lot of attention with the invite to the Elite 11. The Athletic did a feature story on him today.

He didn't start playing QB until his freshman year in HS.

"Allen quickly won the starting QB job at John Carroll as a sophomore and has thrown for 3,828 yards and 32 touchdowns and rushed for 1,377 yards and 22 more TDs over the past two seasons, earning honorable mention all-state honors as a junior. Coach Mickey Groody said Allen adeptly runs the spread attack, is great in the RPO game and can make all the throws.

“It’s been pretty raw for me, just reading and reacting,” Allen said.

When football season ended, Allen jumped right into basketball and averaged 14 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals per game as a junior. Even more remarkable, his coaches point out, is the fact that Allen throws and hits right-handed but actually learned to play basketball left-handed and is only a lefty when he dribbles and shoots.

“I’ve watched him break ankles on the basketball court,” Parra said.

Allen showed up at baseball practice the morning after his basketball season ended and was ready to go for the season opener. John Carroll played only nine games before the season was canceled, but TCPalm still named Allen the area’s male athlete of the year. Now he’s busy batting second and playing center field for the U17 FTB San Francisco Giants Scout Team, his traveling squad that features seven other top-100 high school prospects.

After hitting .500 with two doubles, three RBIs and two stolen bases over the weekend, Allen will have to regroup quickly. This is his shot to show everyone just how serious he is about football. He gets asked all the time which sport he prefers. He usually says whichever sport is in-season is the one he loves most. The Elite 11 finals are Allen’s chance to find out how he compares with four- and five-star prospects who’ve only ever focused on playing football. He’s never had an offseason quarterback coach or trainer. Allen recognizes the biggest benefit of this Elite 11 trip is how much he’ll learn. He’s about to be exposed to three days of intense, detailed instruction about what it takes to play quarterback at a high level.

Allen's coach said he has gotten alot more interest since the Elite 11 invite. He believes that more offers from Power 5 schools haven't come as fast as they hoped because coaches are weighing the possibility he may get drafted early and be offered too much money to turn down playing baseball. He also said that although UF was his dream school growing up, it isn't likely he will be offered a scholarship for football there. He may have to weigh his desire to play football with the dream of playing baseball at Florida. It all depends on what offers he gets to do both and how comfortable he feels.

I want us to flip him from UF for Baseball just as much for Football.

To me it's a win win, we can Redshirt him Freshman year for Football & let him play Baseball, then as he develops by his Red Frosh season he can compete for the starter job.

What are we waiting on to offer this kid...He looks like a no brainer offer to me...Kid is a playmaker and we need playmakers. Don’t over think it.

Advertisement
Back