2021 QB Jay Allen

Advertisement
From a Rivals interview - kid wants to play football.

Allen’s coach, Mickey Groody, has taken a lead role in communicating with UM offensive coordinator/QB coach Rhett Lashlee.

Groody says Lashlee inquired about Allen a couple of months ago and has stayed in touch, with the communication picking up in the past week. Just a few days ago Allen put together a video to send Lashlee at his request.

“Miami had already offered (2023 John Carroll High DE) Wilkey Denaud, and when coach Lashlee called he said `I’m not calling you about Wilkey, I’m calling you about Jay Allen, this guy is very intriguing to me,'" Groody said. "And he told me a little story about how when he was at Auburn he tried to get Gus Malzahn to offer a guy named Lamar Jackson. And he goes `I’m having flashbacks to that.’”

Groody adds, “It’s very kind of similar if you watch Jay Allen’s film and Lamar Jackson’s (high school) film [see bottom of story for video on both playing in high school]. Jay can actually throw the ball a little bit better when you compare high school films.”

The coach goes on to say that Lashlee requested some clips of Allen throwing so he put together film of Allen doing through a type of "Pro Day" where he made a number of scripted throws in preparation for the Elite 11 finals.

Allen lists 13 offers, but no major programs have offered a scholarship yet.

“I got a lot of the same response from a lot of the Power 5 programs that have inquired about him, that he’s `A very intriguing guy,’” Groody said. “A lot of schools are kind of hesitant because of the baseball commit.”

The kid’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my guy,” Groody said. “I’ve never seen anybody dominate the three main sports the way he does - he’s our starting point guard as well as well as our centerfielder.

“His athleticism makes our RPO game a real threat, and if he does get in trouble with his athleticism he’s able to get us a couple of yards if worse comes to worse. I think he can fit in on the Power Five level in both football and baseball. Any school giving him that shot, I think it’ll pay dividends for them.”

Allen says he wants to primarily play football in college - so far UF has only offered for baseball. Lashlee's told Allen he can also play baseball at Miami, so if the Canes offer for football, they have a good shot to land him.
MY TOES ARE TINGLING!!! Get this young man to The U!

Top high school baseball players give these type of interviews all the time. This is just the start of leverage for an over the slot request with an MLB team. Maybe he is the rare exception and really wants to play cfb, but if he's really as good at baseball as has been reported then he'll be signing for over slot and heading to the minors next year.

Advertisement
I was told by one of his coaches he wants to play football in college. He’s a great athlete who is a decent QB. I see him more as a group of 5 prospect at QB.
To be fair so was Lamar Jackson.. Allen is crazy Athletic and doesn't panic in the Pocket. He was just extremely raw last season. The Elite 11 will show how much he's develop since last season. He's got a solid arm and is crazy elusive. He's got the physical tools to be a power 5 QB. Not panicking in the pocket is huge in my opinion. It shows he's always calm under pressure

Ehh he’s more John Rhys plumlee than Lamar Jackson. Lamar has a good arm coming out of school and this kid has an average arm. It’s gonna get better because he’s nowhere near where he needs to be weight/strength wise but a lot of things need to go right for this kid to be Lamar 2.0. I would actually be mad if they took him over Braylon Braxton. He’s a P5 athlete but as of right now he’s a project at QB.

Ehh he’s more John Rhys plumlee than Lamar Jackson. Lamar has a good arm coming out of school and this kid has an average arm. It’s gonna get better because he’s nowhere near where he needs to be weight/strength wise but a lot of things need to go right for this kid to be Lamar 2.0. I would actually be mad if they took him over Braylon Braxton. He’s a P5 athlete but as of right now he’s a project at QB.
He made the Elite 11 so his arm and mechanics must have improved a lot since last year.

Advertisement
Now this is just my opinion, but judging by the film. Allen looked yo have a bit more zip than LAMAR. On some of those passes.

From a Rivals interview - kid wants to play football.

Allen’s coach, Mickey Groody, has taken a lead role in communicating with UM offensive coordinator/QB coach Rhett Lashlee.

Groody says Lashlee inquired about Allen a couple of months ago and has stayed in touch, with the communication picking up in the past week. Just a few days ago Allen put together a video to send Lashlee at his request.

“Miami had already offered (2023 John Carroll High DE) Wilkey Denaud, and when coach Lashlee called he said `I’m not calling you about Wilkey, I’m calling you about Jay Allen, this guy is very intriguing to me,'" Groody said. "And he told me a little story about how when he was at Auburn he tried to get Gus Malzahn to offer a guy named Lamar Jackson. And he goes `I’m having flashbacks to that.’”

Groody adds, “It’s very kind of similar if you watch Jay Allen’s film and Lamar Jackson’s (high school) film [see bottom of story for video on both playing in high school]. Jay can actually throw the ball a little bit better when you compare high school films.”

The coach goes on to say that Lashlee requested some clips of Allen throwing so he put together film of Allen doing through a type of "Pro Day" where he made a number of scripted throws in preparation for the Elite 11 finals.

Allen lists 13 offers, but no major programs have offered a scholarship yet.

“I got a lot of the same response from a lot of the Power 5 programs that have inquired about him, that he’s `A very intriguing guy,’” Groody said. “A lot of schools are kind of hesitant because of the baseball commit.”

The kid’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my guy,” Groody said. “I’ve never seen anybody dominate the three main sports the way he does - he’s our starting point guard as well as well as our centerfielder.

“His athleticism makes our RPO game a real threat, and if he does get in trouble with his athleticism he’s able to get us a couple of yards if worse comes to worse. I think he can fit in on the Power Five level in both football and baseball. Any school giving him that shot, I think it’ll pay dividends for them.”

Allen says he wants to primarily play football in college - so far UF has only offered for baseball. Lashlee's told Allen he can also play baseball at Miami, so if the Canes offer for football, they have a good shot to land him.

I don't want to choose between Garcia and this kid, but I think with Moise giving us back an IC I would take both. I was initially thinking a Garcis/Braxton combo would be nice but this kid is more of a dual threat QB like Milroe. If Lashlee sees potential for him as a King type player in our offense AND he makes our baseball team better, it's a no brainer to offer.

I didn’t say anything about his mechanics. I was talking about his arm. His mechanics aren’t an issue.
His arm must of improved as well. I'm sure he didn't make the Elite 11 off his film from last season. He likely worked out for them or sent them a video of him doing a Pro Day like he sent Lashlee

Advertisement
His arm must of improved as well. I'm sure he didn't make the Elite 11 off his film from last season. He likely worked out for them or sent them a video of him doing a Pro Day like he sent Lashlee
I saw him last season and during 7v7 season....he’s good just in my opinion not a P5 QB. Lamar Jackson was Much better than this kid in HS.....

I didn’t say anything about his mechanics. I was talking about his arm. His mechanics aren’t an issue.
His mechanics are good could be better u definitely see a baseball windup and step through. I wouldn't mind him being a take if we miss on garcia. Has the traits u could build while tvd is qb for a couple years

I like this kid. We are big game hunting and I get it. But this kid's hudl is impressive. Now he needs to improve his footwork & on a lot of throws on the hudl he's throwing with his arm only but this kid is a take and I'm surprised his offer list isn't better than what it is. If we miss on Garcia and Milroe I'd be happy if we took this kid.

Advertisement
I don't want to choose between Garcia and this kid, but I think with Moise giving us back an IC I would take both. I was initially thinking a Garcis/Braxton combo would be nice but this kid is more of a dual threat QB like Milroe. If Lashlee sees potential for him as a King type player in our offense AND he makes our baseball team better, it's a no brainer to offer.
If you take 2 QBs one of them has to be Grad transfer.

Kids HUDL looks dam good. Every pass was dead on the money and hes got sick feet. In our system what more do you need from a qb. If your going to say arm strength ones got to think hes going to get much stronger once he gets on campus. Only thing you don't know from the clips is what kind of intelligence does he have. Im sure our coaches will be getting that answer the more they get to know him.

Let me refresh some memories here. Lamar Jackson? We sound like gator fans. I’m not saying the kid can’t play. But Lamar Jackson??!!!
If we would’ve had a spread offense back then and we land Lamar Jackson our team and college football in general would be very different indeed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back