2021 Preseason

scane

Redshirt Freshman
We’re a surprising 6th ranked team in the Collegiate Baseball poll. I think the ceiling is there to be ranked in that range if the pitching comes together, but expected to be in the low 20s to start the season.

We’re the only ACC team in the top 10 with Louisville, NC State, and Virginia in the top 15. Florida is the top ranked team and without the bizarre Mike Martin love effect FSU is ranked 28th.

Advertisement
We’re a surprising 6th ranked team in the Collegiate Baseball poll. I think the ceiling is there to be ranked in that range if the pitching comes together, but expected to be in the low 20s to start the season.

We’re the only ACC team in the top 10 with Louisville, NC State, and Virginia in the top 15. Florida is the top ranked team and without the bizarre Mike Martin love effect FSU is ranked 28th.
Wow - that's too high for a team that lost it's entire rotation. I know there's talent and we should score runs, but baseball is still pitching and defense over the course of a long season. But it's nice to see us getting some respect from the pollsters, although these baseball pre-season polls are really not that meaningful.

Early baseball ranking are all over the place and rarely hold throughout the season.

Not much to see there.

Florida, Vandy, and UCLA seem like the 3 elite teams in terms of talent + experience + proven starting pitching. After that, who knows.

We probably have the most overall talent in the ACC, but whether guys like Smith and Rosario pan out is likely the difference between competing for the ACC title and being a borderline top-25 team.

Ranked 7th by Perfect Game

Advertisement
I think we’ll be able to hit our way through non conference until the pitching staff comes around. We need the young guys to get a lot of innings before ACC play

I think we’ll be able to hit our way through non conference until the pitching staff comes around. We need the young guys to get a lot of innings before ACC play

Unfortunately there's basically no ramp up period this year, with the ACC now having 12 series instead of 10. We got #1 UF in week 1, probably a decent in-state mid-major in week 2, then it's all ACC Series + likely FAU/FIU/FGCU midweeks.

Not an ideal schedule for a new weekend rotation. Hopefully the depth of our staff this year can offset not having the big 3 we had in 2020 though

Unfortunately there's basically no ramp up period this year, with the ACC now having 12 series instead of 10. We got #1 UF in week 1, probably a decent in-state mid-major in week 2, then it's all ACC Series + likely FAU/FIU/FGCU midweeks.

Not an ideal schedule for a new weekend rotation. Hopefully the depth of our staff this year can offset not having the big 3 we had in 2020 though

Oh wow. I thought we had 2 early series outside of UF we could win before ACC play. I must’ve missed the schedule release.

Advertisement
JP Gates comes on this year on the mound. He was throwing really well in The Cape 2 years ago, before the shoulder flared up.

Advertisement
11th by Baseball America.
The is interesting from their blurb about us: “...the team’s rebuilt starting rotation of Daniel Federman, Alex McFarlane and junior college transfer Jake Smith...”

Wonder how locked in they think McFarlane is. Federman and Smith seem like pretty good bets, at least to begin the season. But with how much DiMare talks up Rosario maybe he'll be the 3rd starter.

I guess a frosh like Rosario would normally be the midweek starter, but with no midweek games for a few weeks they aren't just going to sit him IO assume

Wonder how locked in they think McFarlane is. Federman and Smith seem like pretty good bets, at least to begin the season. But with how much DiMare talks up Rosario maybe he'll be the 3rd starter.

I guess a frosh like Rosario would normally be the midweek starter, but with no midweek games for a few weeks they aren't just going to sit him IO assume
Or have a very short leash with all starters, although that has not been Gino's style. But with the expanded rosters and reduced schedules, a lot can and probably will change this year as far as pitching strategies.

Look at the success the Rays have had with the "starter". You can afford those kind of luxuries when you have a fleet of arms and fewer games.

Or have a very short leash with all starters, although that has not been Gino's style. But with the expanded rosters and reduced schedules, a lot can and probably will change this year as far as pitching strategies.

Look at the success the Rays have had with the "starter". You can afford those kind of luxuries when you have a fleet of arms and fewer games.
Assuming Gates and Wanger can hold down the 8th and 9th, I’d like to see Palmquist used in a similar role to Cabezas from a few years ago, and have him take a game in the 5th/6th and tell him to get the ball to Wanger.

Advertisement
15th in the Coaches Poll. The final average of the major polls is roughly 12th. I’m really surprised that D1 ended up being such an outlier.

Advertisement
Back