2021 MLB Draft Discussion

Pitcher in the Rye

3) Man's Law 2) God's Law 1) Mr. Murphy's Law
Prospects Live has C Adrian Del Castillo dropping into the 2nd round. This should not surprise even the most casual Canes fan. 2021 class RHP Irv Carter from Calvary Christian is projected third/fourth round.

Advertisement
Prospects Live has C Adrian Del Castillo dropping into the 2nd round. This should not surprise even the most casual Canes fan. 2021 class RHP Irv Carter from Calvary Christian is projected third/fourth round.
ADC will go, why come back and risk dropping more under this staff. Carter goes Top 3 reminds not sure we see him. I'm worried about Green, Mule and Martin for 2022 as well.

If I’m ADC I come back to get that top 10 player money.
He has dropped in his draft position every year at Miami. Thats a **** if a risk. I would take him back but logically it is probably a bad move to come back.

ADC will go, why come back and risk dropping more under this staff. Carter goes Top 3 reminds not sure we see him. I'm worried about Green, Mule and Martin for 2022 as well.
If ADC stays one more year here with this staff, he will go undrafted and end up playing Indy ball or even a Sunday league.

Advertisement
I don’t think we see any of those guys. Best chance is probably with Martin. He seems to have slipped down most boards from top 75ish to low 100s or 200s.

I don’t think we see any of those guys. Best chance is probably with Martin. He seems to have slipped down most boards from top 75ish to low 100s or 200s.
My only reason for any optimism is Rosario and Mederos were both projected Top 100 guys and Morales was 130 and they all showed up here. I honestly wasn't sure any of them would.

Advertisement
I just cant see him even going in round 2. Why? What makes him a second round guy. Strike out ratio? Nah... He is 5' 10" and isnt a serious catcher option. Last year there were two players selected in the first two rounds under 6'. Masyn Winn (who is an absolute freak two way player that throws 98 and plays a stupid SS) and Nick Gonzales who hit 432 and 448 his last two full seasons at New Mexico State. Small catchers that are just above average college hitters just don't go that high. OK short draft last year.. but not one catcher drafted under 6 feet.

Last edited:
The one guy who has a decision to make is Vilar. Day 3 pick now so he might come back.

2 recruits to watch are Lorenzo Carrier and Irving Carter

Also, you better believe that rival coaching staffs are using these examples of regression against us with potential recruits.

Meh recruiting isn't our problem anyways. DiMare can recruit and the program recruits itself. I'm more concerned with what they're doing from a development standpoint, especially at the plate.

All 3 of the big Florida programs had disappointing seasons, so our rivals have their own issues too.

I just cant see him even going in round 2. Why? What makes him a second round guy. Strike out ratio? Nah... He is 5' 10" and isnt a serious catcher option. Last year there were two players selected in the first two rounds under 6'. Masyn Winn (who is an absolute freak two way player that throws 98 and plays a stupid SS) and Nick Gonzales who hit 432 and 448 his last two full seasons at New Mexico State. Small catchers that are just above average college hitters just don't go that high. OK short draft last year.. but not one catcher drafted under 6 feet.

kid can hit, right now he's a line drive gap-to-gap guy. Pull-side power needs to be added. Plus he shows position versatility being able to play right field. He goes compensation round one

Advertisement
If I’m ADC I come back to get that top 10 player money.
He has dropped in his draft position every year at Miami. Thats a **** if a risk. I would take him back but logically it is probably a bad move to come back.
Yea he’s gone. He’s a catcher with a decent arm and can hit. He’s an WIP behind the plate but someone is definitely going to take him late 1st or comp. He’s too good of a hitter behind the plate to slip to the 2nd.

The one guy who has a decision to make is Vilar. Day 3 pick now so he might come back.

2 recruits to watch are Lorenzo Carrier and Irving Carter
If vilar comes back, that’s gigantic. Infield would be great on paper again. Have no idea about outfield heading into 22

C: Perez
1B: Kayfus
2B: Vilar
SS: Pitelli
3B: Morales
OF: ? ? ?

If vilar comes back, that’s gigantic. Infield would be great on paper again. Have no idea about outfield heading into 22

C: Perez
1B: Kayfus
2B: Vilar
SS: Pitelli
3B: Morales
OF: ? ? ?
Would seem to be OF spots for Jared Thomas and Chad Born if somebody can get them hitting. Both guys who came in with big hitting reputations but, like everyone else on this team, seem to have regressed since getting here. Depressing.

Advertisement
Would seem to be OF spots for Jared Thomas and Chad Born if somebody can get them hitting. Both guys who came in with big hitting reputations but, like everyone else on this team, seem to have regressed since getting here. Depressing.
I thought Thomas looked great his freshman year at plate. Was expecting him to get more ab’s this year but that didn’t happen. Thomas in Right... Born in Center I’m guessing?

I thought Thomas looked great his freshman year at plate. Was expecting him to get more ab’s this year but that didn’t happen. Thomas in Right... Born in Center I’m guessing?
I’m thinking the plan of the brain trust will be to bring in a new hitting coach and hope he has better results with a new group of players.

Hope isn’t a strategy but it is certainly the UM way.

kid can hit, right now he's a line drive gap-to-gap guy. Pull-side power needs to be added. Plus he shows position versatility being able to play right field. He goes compensation round one
Show me one college player who went before the second round whose offensive stats were worse than his this year and then lets talk.

This year stats dont even place him in colleges top 300 batters. Outside of shear numbers... scouts see size and they see plus tools. He has zero plus tools.

I get recruiting sites have him high because of 2 years ago but they also have him dropping. My guess is they really have no idea and when they start comparing to the other guys that are available its going to be really hard to pick him in that spot.

Its not that big of a risk in baseball because your going to know what offers are on the table before you decide to stay or go. He should advertise his number to any interested parties and see if he gets it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him return

Show me one college player who went before the second round whose offensive stats were worse than his this year and then lets talk.

This year stats dont even place him in colleges top 300 batters. Outside of shear numbers... scouts see size and they see plus tools. He has zero plus tools.

I get recruiting sites have him high because of 2 years ago but they also have him dropping. My guess is they really have no idea and when they start comparing to the other guys that are available its going to be really hard to pick him in that spot.

Its not that big of a risk in baseball because your going to know what offers are on the table before you decide to stay or go. He should advertise his number to any interested parties and see if he gets it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him return
I would be shocked, his #s and draft stock have fallen every year at Miami, no reason to return

Advertisement
Back