2021 MLB Draft Discussion

I would be shocked, his #s and draft stock have fallen every year at Miami, no reason to return
If you dont get your number you return... He seems like he comes from a family that values education. Going to minors aint easy... Its not like making an NFL team... He will get paid squat in the minors. There is no rush in that because until you can prove your big league ready you will not get paid. I get why football players who think they can make a roster leave but baseball is completely different.

Advertisement
If you dont get your number you return... He seems like he comes from a family that values education. Going to minors aint easy... Its not like making an NFL team... He will get paid squat in the minors. There is no rush in that because until you can prove your big league ready you will not get paid. I get why football players who think they can make a roster leave but baseball is completely different.
I have to agree, and if he is anywhere near as smart as his brother, he'll do just fine financially in the private sector vs taking $MM's less as a bonus vs what he was projected to get just a few months ago.

I'll say it again - tell Gino I'll come back if I play RF all year and then show everyone what you can do offensively. MLB has seen enough if they think he can fill in at catcher from time to time, but he isn't getting drafted because of his defense!

Show me one college player who went before the second round whose offensive stats were worse than his this year and then lets talk.

This year stats dont even place him in colleges top 300 batters. Outside of shear numbers... scouts see size and they see plus tools. He has zero plus tools.

I get recruiting sites have him high because of 2 years ago but they also have him dropping. My guess is they really have no idea and when they start comparing to the other guys that are available its going to be really hard to pick him in that spot.

Its not that big of a risk in baseball because your going to know what offers are on the table before you decide to stay or go. He should advertise his number to any interested parties and see if he gets it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him return
Since you mentioned stats twice in your first Two paragraphs, it’s obvious you don’t know how scouting in baseball works. Numbers are a small part of a players evaluation. He will slide just not to the level that most on here think.

ADC's college career progression reminds me so much of Harold Martinez who ended up going 2nd round and signing for 300-400k after a monster sophomore year and bust junior year.

Advertisement
Since you mentioned stats twice in your first Two paragraphs, it’s obvious you don’t know how scouting in baseball works. Numbers are a small part of a players evaluation. He will slide just not to the level that most on here think.
LOL stats are a small part of the players evaluation... and I don't know how scouting works. He is viewed as a bat with no position and he is coming off his worst offensive year yet. He struggled this year and the knock is that teams figured out how to pitch against him. His stats this year were also very similar to his cape cod league stint. He is not a high school kid, college stats and CCBL stats do play into it. Anyone who picks him early are doing so based on his strike out ratio.

I assume you missed the part where I said tell them your number and let them decide. That's actually how the MLB baseball draft works. The MLB draft is about value more than any other draft and your number plays into it. A 20 something round guy could sign for more than 5th round guy. And being that he was just told he was a early first round pick I would think his number is over 2 mill. I question his value to GMs at that number, but who knows he could have a low number. But that's how it works... literally how it works. If he doesn't get his number then come back.

I see him picked all over the place right now. Some dont have him in their mocks at all some have him in the first round still, but one thing is consistent with all of the mocks is that he is dropping. The mocks that have him in the first round mention he is a power bat. If I am a GM I have major questions about a power bat hitting 3 HRs in over 200 ABs at the college level.

MLB.com updated their draft rankings. Del is 40th (-27 spots from early May), Carter is 116th(-17) and Carrier is 134th (-18).

Not gonna lie. This kid Nelson from has a helluva swing and projects better than ADC behind the plate.

Advertisement
You referring to the FSU catcher?
Yea, I’m watching the combine and he’s in it. That guy is gonna get first round buzz too. The ball literally flys off his bat and his overall game projects better behind the plate than ADC. I knew he was good before obviously but it’s the first time I’ve been able to focus just on him.

Yea, I’m watching the combine and he’s in it. That guy is gonna get first round buzz too. The ball literally flys off his bat and his overall game projects better behind the plate than ADC. I knew he was good before obviously but it’s the first time I’ve been able to focus just on him.
I agree, he is better than ADC as a catching prospect, maybe as any prospect. He obliterated our pitching staff in that March series where we got curb-stomped all weekend.

I agree, he is better than ADC as a catching prospect, maybe as any prospect. He obliterated our pitching staff in that March series where we got curb-stomped all weekend.
Our pitching staff outside of palmquist got obliterated a lot this season.

probably the worst year under JTs leadership

Our pitching staff outside of palmquist got obliterated a lot this season.

probably the worst year under JTs leadership
Young guys with talent that need to learn how to "pitch". I was critical all year as well but they have the stuff. Gotta learn how to work batters and get the mental game right. I think JD is pretty good for the most part.

Advertisement
ESPN has Del ranked 40th in their Top 200 and Carter 120th. They have no other current players or commits in their Top 200 or honorable mentions that could get Top 5 round money.

Del goes 40th to the Red Sox in their mock draft. Slot is $1.85 million.

ESPN has Del ranked 40th in their Top 200 and Carter 120th. They have no other current players or commits in their Top 200 or honorable mentions that could get Top 5 round money.

Del goes 40th to the Red Sox in their mock draft. Slot is $1.85 million.
Good for him if he can get it. That's a great nest egg after he goes pro in something other than baseball.

The way the MLB draft works is quite a bit different than other sports due to the bonus pool and leverage of players. ADC is not going to come back for a 5th year and teams know it, so even if he did gamble and come back, he isn't getting more than $2M even if he hits like he did as a sophomore. Add another year of age and the teams who use draft models would ding him even more.

ADC would be almost 23 in next year's draft. Coming back would cost him money, even if he hit like a mad man.

He's a bat-to-ball prospect who isn't an elite defensive major league catcher with limited physical projection. I never saw him as a top-10 pick unless he wanted to sign for under slot anyway.

Advertisement
Without naming names. I know someone whose nephew plays for Miami. Has graduated but invited to return. His response and for three or four others, "Not for this coach."

Without naming names. I know someone whose nephew plays for Miami. Has graduated but invited to return. His response and for three or four others, "Not for this coach."
On the bright side, our coach-for-life doesn't need the money, so maybe he'll retire in 10 years or so.

The way the MLB draft works is quite a bit different than other sports due to the bonus pool and leverage of players. ADC is not going to come back for a 5th year and teams know it, so even if he did gamble and come back, he isn't getting more than $2M even if he hits like he did as a sophomore. Add another year of age and the teams who use draft models would ding him even more.

ADC would be almost 23 in next year's draft. Coming back would cost him money, even if he hit like a mad man.

He's a bat-to-ball prospect who isn't an elite defensive major league catcher with limited physical projection. I never saw him as a top-10 pick unless he wanted to sign for under slot anyway.
A team drafting ADC in the 2nd round is either going to come in way under slot, or has terrible scouting.

Advertisement
Back