2021 Miami PFF rankings in the ACC

I didn't think it was possible a D could be worse than al's, but here we are. As for the offense, I think our suckage the first half of the season makes it look worse than we all feel it is now. Still can't run, but that passing game is on point.

Advertisement
Everyone in tune with the team knew this regression was coming. Manny's D has always been heavily reliant on sacks and TFLs and we probably had our worst defensive line, at least the worst defense ends, since Manny has been here. It's a shame he didn't prioritize a guy like Jermaine Johnson (FSU DE) or a couple other edge guys to get after the QB.

Defense rankings:

Manny 77th
Mario 63rd
Lane 102nd
Are you going by PFF? Because statistically, both Ole Miss and Oregon had way better defenses than Manny's across the board.

At the end of the day, all that matters is what's on the scoreboard. DJ Durkin's "atrocious Ole Miss defense" gave up 25.0 ppg in the hardest division in all of college football. That wins you a minimum of 10 games here.

Mario's squad held opponents under 25 ppg, but in a weaker conference.

Defense was bad, as we know. Nobody should be surprised by the offensive numbers, though. We were terrible vs Bama and App State, turned it over 4 times vs Michigan State, struggled for almost a full half vs one of the worst defenses in the country in UVA, only scored 28 vs FSU, and only 10 offensive points in the first half against that garbage UNC defense.

Lot to be encouraged about, especially TVD, but the offense was bad for large portions of games last year. Not nearly good enough.

Advertisement
The offense during the first half of the season was below average. Thus the low ranking.

Through the first half of 2021, Miami averaged just 374.8 yards and 25 points per game against FBS competition.

During the second half, that got bumped to 464.3 yards and 35.8 points per game.

Are you going by PFF? Because statistically, both Ole Miss and Oregon had way better defenses than Manny's across the board.

At the end of the day, all that matters is what's on the scoreboard. DJ Durkin's "atrocious Ole Miss defense" gave up 25.0 ppg in the hardest division in all of college football. That wins you a minimum of 10 games here.

Mario's squad held opponents under 25 ppg, but in a weaker conference.

I went by the ncaa’s total defense stats. Ole Miss’ schedule included Austin Peay, Liberty, a bad Louisville team and Tulane.

I went by the ncaa’s total defense stats. Ole Miss’ schedule included Austin Peay, Vanderbilt, Liberty, a bad Louisville team and Tulane.
So if we're cherry picking here, take out Duke, Central Connecticut School of the blind, a bad FSU team, and App St. while we're at it. How does Manny look now?

Advertisement
The D was not good but not as bad as the ranking suggests.

We played the # 3 Offense in the country UVA which averaged 516 yds/Game, # 4 Pitt 514 yds/Game, # 7 Bama 492 yds/Game and # 10 UNC 479 yds /Game.

Playing 4 of the top 10 offenses in the country will skew the stats.
1638296659408.gif

Terrible but I wasn’t defending it like you were trying to for lane and Mario.

All three weren’t good. That’s irrefutable.
Oh I'm not saying Lane or Mario's defensive coordinators are lights out - in fact I really hope DeRuyter would stay in Eugene if Mario became HC. Durkin I could live with, they're near the top of the country in sacks and defensive havoc last I checked, and that's with Ole Miss players. But yes, we could do better imo.

Advertisement
Which one of the three is a purported defensive coach and recruited defensive players for 6 years?

Who cares?

We were 23rd offensively but no one will call Manny a good offensive coach.

Results not reputation is all that matters.

We played the # 3 Offense in the country UVA which averaged 516 yds/Game, # 4 Pitt 514 yds/Game, # 7 Bama 492 yds/Game and # 10 UNC 479 yds /Game.

So this is what UVA, Pitt, Bama, and UNC does to everyone?

Advertisement

Or maybe our defense skewed those teams offensive stats?

You could argue we are one of the reasons they were rated so high as well.

Anyone have access to PFF's final team grades for 2019 and 2020? Would be interesting to see how we've progressed (or more likely, not).

Advertisement
Back