2021 Linebacker Jaydon Hood Recaps Junior Day

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
2021 linebacker Jaydon Hood is one of the top linebackers in the country for his class, and he recently decided to transfer from Cardinal Newman to St. Thomas Aquinas for his senior year.

“The move has been great. I thought it might take longer to get a routine, but everyone has been great helping me out and getting used to everything. I miss my old teammates, but the transition has been really good.”

Ever since transferring to St. Thomas, Hood has been blowing up with offers from some of the top colleges in the country. High Power 5 programs such as Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, and Florida State have come in with offers since Hood made the move to the Raiders last month.

“It's been awesome, it’s been everything I have worked for. It gets a little crazy at times, but I love seeing my hard work pay off and give me options. It's also a good feeling knowing that my gift helps me to help my family. My mom is a two-time cancer survivor. Every offer is kind of like a gift to her, she’s fighting so hard to be alive to see me and my brothers live out our dreams.”

Before Hood officially left Cardinal Newman, though, the hometown Hurricanes made sure he knew had the opportunity to stay home in South Florida, offering the star linebacker in mid-January. The 6’1” 212 pound prospect made it down to Miami a few weeks ago for Junior Day for his first visit to UM’s campus, and it is safe to say Miami made a strong first impression.

“I was very impressed. I learned about the strength and conditioning, and I also got to hear the scheme for the defense, which I felt could be really good for me.”

What were some of the things that made Hood so excited about Miami?

“How many players have gone to the league, how good the engineering program is, and the facilities they have coming. I definitely follow the team a lot, my mom’s an alumni. It has a history of having great linebackers, and Shaq Quarterman was one of my favorite linebackers. The way he comes downhill and thumps, and his attitude, the way he leads the team. Just being able to be a part of that would be a great opportunity and a blessing.”

Because Hood has received so many new offers and hasn’t visited all the schools, he does not have a top group right now. However, he does know one thing.

“Miami is one of the top schools for sure.”

Hood is planning to make a decision by the end of the summer if he feels like he has learned enough about each school. As for some of the traits he is looking for in a school, Hood explained that the general atmosphere surrounding the program would be one of the key factors for him.

“A great coaching staff, great environment, place that feels like family, a great strength and condition coaching staff, strong engineering program, and great food. Definitely coaching style, I do like coaches that believe in 1-on-1 coaching and that are always there to help. Certain academic programs, I’ll be looking into schools to see what they have and don’t have. Definitely just being able to be a leader on the team, being able to connect to the players easily. Just having a good connection and bond with the team.”

As a junior in 2019, Hood put himself on the map with a monster 2019 that included 115 tackles, 25 TFL, 7 sacks, 1 INT, 4 FF, and a TD.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
My mom is a two-time cancer survivor. Every offer is kind of like a gift to her, she’s fighting so hard to be alive to see me and my brothers live out our dreams.”

This quote right here puts us at the top. He knows his mom probably won't be traveling too much so why not stay home so she can watch her dreams come true.

Advertisement
Back