2021 LB Jaydon Hood receives offer

Well fine. Wisconsin took it to them pretty good. I hear you on taint they do usually do that to most. Although pedo state usually holds them in check as does Michigan state before last years garbage. Still I just think don brown is good but he’s a little overhyped. Just like manny’s defense is overhyped as a result of the inflated stats and the god forsaken “havoc rate” that makes me want to puke
Definitely. Wisconsin also always plays their game though. Try to control the ball by running it. Penn St also as a offense to keep you honest atleast lol. But no I feel you, I think for Brown he definitely develops his players and is good on his evals. Stole a 5 star safety from Bama last year so you know he can recruit

Advertisement
Yup, and the truth is Diaz largely created all that ammo to be used against him. Even selling potential PT, we still struggled to recruit the position last cycle (and beyond). How we closed the 2020 class with only TAC (who I do like) and Flagg is pretty incredible.

I do think Pinckney gets draft later on Day 3 if not for January hip surgery, whatever that's worth...

LB recruiting has been perplexing to say the least. We've also gotten unlucky with injuries to Steed, Wilder, Jennings, etc. I am a huge fan of adding speed at LB in today's fast-paced, spread game. There will be a need for thumpers, but guys like Brooks, Huff, and Cave should thrive in an aggressive defense like ours. Cave was one of my favorite recruits this cycle and I still cant figure out how bigger schools weren't involved.

I know it’s probably been discussed, but is Wilder still on the team?? And if so, how is he doing from his neck injury?? Was he practicing during spring??

I know it’s probably been discussed, but is Wilder still on the team?? And if so, how is he doing from his neck injury?? Was he practicing during spring??
I thought he was done but I could be wrong. Actually I usually am wrong. Not just on this site

Why I definitely agree with you on the Patke front I think our last 2 LB classes have been at least solid. Sure we missed on a few and have a little depth concerns but I think Brooks, Huff, and Austin-Cave will be monsters and Flagg has potential depending on how he develops.

"A little depth concerns" is a big understatement, don't you think? We had a walk-on, RS Freshman (Ragone) get meaningful snaps (i.e., not garbage time) on defense during several games throughout the year. Two starting seniors left. And we have two guys (Jennings and Steed) who haven't played football since 2018. Situation is so dire, we had to redshirt a senior (McCloud) for depth in this season.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brooks, Huff and TAC quite a bit, too. And I think we'll start much more athletic LBs in 2020 (albeit much less experienced). But the depth concerns are legitimate. The 2017 LB group has been decimated by injury, zero LBs in the 2018 class (other than Joyner who was converted and bounced around to DE some), and we probably should have recruited at least 3 in 2019 or 2020 (or both).

Advertisement

Pretty sure Wilder left the program last Summer because of the neck injury, unfortunately.

I'm curious why we didn't take a third lb in this last class. I don't know what the expect out of Jennings and Steed because they have been hurt basically their entire careers and I do not want to see Ravioli in there ever again unless we are rolling a team.
Because they let Jesus Machado go to Toledo... He's going to end up being one of the South Florida LBs who go to a G5 program and then all of a sudden we see them at the Senior bowl 4 year laters and they turn out to be 3 year starters and Team Captains on top of racking up 350 Tackles 4-5 INTs in that time period.

"A little depth concerns" is a big understatement, don't you think? We had a walk-on, RS Freshman (Ragone) get meaningful snaps (i.e., not garbage time) on defense during several games throughout the year. Two starting seniors left. And we have two guys (Jennings and Steed) who haven't played football since 2018. Situation is so dire, we had to redshirt a senior (McCloud) for depth in this season.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brooks, Huff and TAC quite a bit, too. And I think we'll start much more athletic LBs in 2020 (albeit much less experienced). But the depth concerns are legitimate. The 2017 LB group has been decimated by injury, zero LBs in the 2018 class (other than Joyner who was converted and bounced around to DE some), and we probably should have recruited at least 3 in 2019 or 2020 (or both).
Can’t argue with any of that

Attachments

• 1590088157851.gif
    1590088157851.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Because they let Jesus Machado go to Toledo... He's going to end up being one of the South Florida LBs who go to a G5 program and then all of a sudden we see them at the Senior bowl 4 year laters and they turn out to be 3 year starters and Team Captains on top of racking up 350 Tackles 4-5 INTs in that time period.
Brutal

Machado went to Tulane and while a S Fla folk hero he would have been an offer we typically would give out and end up like Mike Smith and have no real impact. Nobody else wanted him and that’s why he went to Tulane, seems like a good kid but we aren’t missing out.

Machado went to Tulane and while a S Fla folk hero he would have been an offer we typically would give out and end up like Mike Smith and have no real impact. Nobody else wanted him and that’s why he went to Tulane, seems like a good kid but we aren’t missing out.
Mike Smith was a solid backup MLB his last couple of years here. He was good for depth and I can’t remember him making any bonehead plays. Smith being a 3* high school DE that transitioned to LB I think made a meaningful impact.

Lol no.

Advertisement
Just like we weren't missing out with
Terrill Hanks
Josh Uche
James Burgess
Carroll Phillips
Plus many more....

It seems like we let alot of these 3 star South Florida dogs go elsewhere and they turn out to be dominant College starters

Just like we weren't missing out with
Terrill Hanks
Josh Uche
James Burgess
Carroll Phillips
Plus many more....

It seems like we let alot of these 3 star South Florida dogs go elsewhere and they turn out to be dominant College starters

not familiar with Phillips or Hanks (not looking up) but Burgess went to Louisville and Uche Michigan those aren’t Tulane. ButI’ll agree we offer the wrong LBs sometimes but Machado I doubt will be one we regret.

Advertisement
It's crazy because they still actually produce draft picks at a high level.

On defense they produce like no other. IMO Don Brown is top 5 DC in country. He's so versatile. Plays 4-3 Over, 3-4, 3-3-5, 3-2-6 at times. Brings pressure and always has a violent physical defense.

Not only is he a great play caller, he's one of the best of getting the most out of his players. Will turn alot of 3 stars to decently high draft picks.

If Miami could ever get him to be DC that would absolutely be a game changer. We talk alot about coaches that have strong roots in other areas for us to recruit OL.... From personal experience, he gets who he wants from New England. A lot of those also being OL.

Ryan Day exposed him a couple years when they scored 62 points on them.

I still remember that game. They ran 5-10 yard crossing routes all day, Brown never made an adjustment.

Brown would an upgrade over Baker but for the salary he is getting Michigan he ain’t worth it.

Mike Smith was a solid backup MLB his last couple of years here. He was good for depth and I can’t remember him making any bonehead plays. Smith being a 3* high school DE that transitioned to LB I think made a meaningful impact.

Mike Smith was a backup who didn’t do much until senior year and was a backup LB on a

right but you f he wouldn’t have signed with Miami we wouldn’t lose any sleep is my point. A Mike Smith is a dime a dozen in Florida

I respectfully disagree with this part. He's slow, put on too much weight, takes bad angles, and misses way too many tackles.

Fair points and I don't really disagree with any of it. If healthy, I just saw him as a Round 6-7 guy based on his ability to occasionally be disruptive in the backfield and the potential some team would take a late flyer on him thinking he might have solid upside if he gets his body right.

Mike Smith was a backup who didn’t do much until senior year and was a backup LB on a

right but you f he wouldn’t have signed with Miami we wouldn’t lose any sleep is my point. A Mike Smith is a dime a dozen in Florida
Agree he’s a dime a dozen. But coming from a local feeder school Like Northwestern and being what seemed like an egoless guy who accepted his role and played to the best of his abilities I’d say he was a good take. Someone like him would have been nice to have Last season as opposed to Ragone getting any PT. I know injuries played a part in that, but guys like Mike Smith come in handy during a season.

Advertisement
Back