Advertisement
kids/parents will *never* turn down a scholarship so that some other kid can fit into a recruiting class. these families aren't running roster management charities. i don't know why people constantly bring this up. it is never going to happen. the kid earned his scholarship and is going to take it. rightfully so.

The dad has been a S&C employee with UM for than 15yrs I think he has earned a let's say 25% retention bump in pay (cough cough). An if he son chooses to be a long term team player an accepts a PWO for 2 yrs than that would be great also.

Because other than the cost of living stipend Walk-On's and scholarship players get the exact same team benefits now since the NCAA changed the rules an allowing them to be included in the training tables.

So other than having to live at home an commute to UM (probably with Dad), he gets all the benefits and UM gets another 2021 IC spot in very tight class.

Go Canes

The dad has been a S&C employee with UM for than 15yrs I think he has earned a let's say 25% retention bump in pay (cough cough). An if he son chooses to be a long term team player an accepts a PWO for 2 yrs than that would be great also.

Because other than the cost of living stipend Walk-On's and scholarship players get the exact same team benefits now since the NCAA changed the rules an allowing them to be included in the training tables.

So other than having to live at home an commute to UM (probably with Dad), he gets all the benefits and UM gets another 2021 IC spot in very tight class.

Go Canes
I get both points, you dont want to disrespect a kid who likely can go a lot of places on a full ride with asking him to pay his way for the housing. IF we know he wont live on campus (unlikely for a TF football player) then I think there is a diplomatic way to ask. Also when you say accept a PWO for 2 years, why is it two years? Could he not "walk-on" year one, gets free tuition through his dad, then the following semester or year be "awarded" a scholarship which would count towards the 85 cap (which we never hit anyway) and not the IC?

Advertisement

Go Canes
how have you posted 11,500 times on this board and are still this dumb?

Just drop Davis who will probably bounce away and take Payton. Or officially move on from Collins. We are probably losing two DEs this year in Phillips and Roche.

I get both points, you dont want to disrespect a kid who likely can go a lot of places on a full ride with asking him to pay his way for the housing. IF we know he wont live on campus (unlikely for a TF football player) then I think there is a diplomatic way to ask. Also when you say accept a PWO for 2 years, why is it two years? Could he not "walk-on" year one, gets free tuition through his dad, then the following semester or year be "awarded" a scholarship which would count towards the 85 cap (which we never hit anyway) and not the IC?

A walk-on has to be a non scholarship player and "non recruited player" for at least 1 academic year at the college to not be a Intial counter and just be counted included the 85 man limit once they are placed on scholarship.

Here is the rule
15.5.6.3.5 Aid First Awarded After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time
without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted:
1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
mr burns GIF

Advertisement
Back