It's interesting to see the tug-of-war currently going on to determine which off-topic conversation will derail this thread. In this corner we have those who would like to discuss a former failed position corch (kinda redundant) who took his talents to Pedo State. And in the other corner we have those who want to talk about talent vs. corching.

Advertisement
Clemson and Alabama win cause they have better players which yes those coaches are getting/recruiting... I’m on the side of players matter more than coaching...do you think Golden state was better coached than every team or was it the fact the had KD, Steph and so on. Coker won cause of the players that guy didn’t know what he was doing. Coaching is important but imo the players matter wayyy more. Dabo was nothing before he started getting the players
Are you serious? Yes they have better players. They also have those better players CAUSE THEY HAVE **** GOOD COACHES... Literally elite staffs. You mention Coker and the fact HE was in far over his head & that we had elite players. Yet you discard the fact WE HAD A **** GOOD STAFF as a whole around him too for the first couple years. Then he started running people off and finding scapegoats in **** good coaches we respected. The point in this is theirs a parallel between elite players and **** good coaches. One in most instances cannot thrive without the other...

Clemson and Alabama win cause they have better players which yes those coaches are getting/recruiting... I’m on the side of players matter more than coaching...do you think Golden state was better coached than every team or was it the fact the had KD, Steph and so on. Coker won cause of the players that guy didn’t know what he was doing. Coaching is important but imo the players matter wayyy more. Dabo was nothing before he started getting the players
Dabo also was not great until he got Brent Venables as DC. Coker has Chud, a future NFL HC, as his offensive coordinatorat first. Saban has had former P5 head coaches as position coaches and analysts and NFL coordinators as his coordinators, not mentioning the guys that came up through his tree and gone elsewhere. You need the players, but you also need the coaches to put them in the right positions to succeed.

Are you serious? Yes they have better players. They also have those better players CAUSE THEY HAVE **** GOOD COACHES... Literally elite staffs. You mention Coker and the fact HE was in far over his head & that we had elite players. Yet you discard the fact WE HAD A **** GOOD STAFF as a whole around him too for the first couple years. Then he started running people off and finding scapegoats in **** good coaches we respected. The point in this is theirs a parallel between elite players and **** good coaches. One in most instances cannot thrive without the other...

I see you what you’re saying yes the best coaches get the best players but coaches can’t win without elite talent and elite talent can win with mediocre coaches...

Advertisement
I smell transfer portal

Why would you say that? He’s a rs freshmen that came in as a developmental type. He’s going to be a good player here eventually , he’s just needed to reshape his body. The best way of doing business is keeping your lineman off the field for a year or two if possible. Unless they’re just freaks.

Why would you say that? He’s a rs freshmen that came in as a developmental type. He’s going to be a good player here eventually , he’s just needed to reshape his body. The best way of doing business is keeping your lineman off the field for a year or two if possible. Unless they’re just freaks.

thats what came to mind when I read your post, but I hear ya. I’ll give him some slack but I got my eyes on him👀

Last edited:
Not sure why this is so tough to grasp. Skill guys typically flash quick. Linemen and QB’s typically need 1-2 years. That’s it.

Skill guys that go into the portal typically get way less interest than the other I described for good reason. They have either flashed or they haven’t.

I see you what you’re saying yes the best coaches get the best players but coaches can’t win without elite talent and elite talent can win with mediocre coaches...
After a lifetime of sports I disagree. Because as elite talent we never become elite without coaches able to bring that extra edge out of us... Mediocre coaches don't develop kids to a level where they become elite. In the nfl we learn that daily. Look at how many kids were just whatever in college and had moments that develop into monsters once they get to the league... Look how many first round picks flop. That's elite or atleast **** good coaches that bring that out.

Advertisement
After a lifetime of sports I disagree. Because as elite talent we never become elite without coaches able to bring that extra edge out of us... Mediocre coaches don't develop kids to a level where they become elite. In the nfl we learn that daily. Look at how many kids were just whatever in college and had moments that develop into monsters once they get to the league... Look how many first round picks flop. That's elite or atleast **** good coaches that bring that out.

I see what you’re saying but when I think of Jordan, Lebron, Brady, Trevor Lawrence a lot of our greats....I think those guys would’ve been great no matter what. Some of these guys are just built different...but coaches can bring the best out of players but what I’m saying is without elite talent Saban and Dabo aren’t winning with just average guys just my opinion

I see what you’re saying but when I think of Jordan, Lebron, Brady, Trevor Lawrence a lot of our greats....I think those guys would’ve been great no matter what. Some of these guys are just built different...but coaches can bring the best out of players but what I’m saying is without elite talent Saban and Dabo aren’t winning with just average guys just my opinion
You mean the same brady who lost his job on 3 seperates occasions in college? Same brady who drew henson (who was considered elite talent in several sports & flopped in nfl and mlb)took his job twice? Don't even remember the other dude. Same jordan who at one point couldn't make the JV squad at his high school? Alot of the greats you see now struggled heavily in college or high school just like I did in high school. Regardless of where we ended up it was coaches and other players that helped us develop our craft. Elite talent is wasted on a regular basis far more often than not. Think of the dudes who dominate the nfl or nba now. How many of them can you point to now and say that person flat out dominated in college also? If you're being honest that percentage is far lower than you'd imagine. Elite being the key word there... Look how many heisman winners are flops in the nfl.

Agree about Brady.

He looked no different in college than hundreds of U of Mich QBs before him.

Productive, but no one would've put money on him doing a whole lot in the NFL because at that point U of Mich QBs hadn't done too much in the pros.

He has changed that.

You mean the same brady who lost his job on 3 seperates occasions in college? Same brady who drew henson (who was considered elite talent in several sports & flopped in nfl and mlb)took his job twice? Don't even remember the other dude. Same jordan who at one point couldn't make the JV squad at his high school? Alot of the greats you see now struggled heavily in college or high school just like I did in high school. Regardless of where we ended up it was coaches and other players that helped us develop our craft. Elite talent is wasted on a regular basis far more often than not. Think of the dudes who dominate the nfl or nba now. How many of them can you point to now and say that person flat out dominated in college also? If you're being honest that percentage is far lower than you'd imagine. Elite being the key word there... Look how many heisman winners are flops in the nfl.

Advertisement
1595208948326.gif

After next month, the Stroud doubters gonna have to learn to listen to ya boy when I tell yall a coach is a beast.

Just like when I told yall Stubbsy was gonna be a tragedy if we didn't get rid of him, I called from day 1 that Stroud would light it up here.

But wait until the 2022 class, our DL haul next year will be astronomical.

Advertisement
Oh I’m not advocating dropping Ishmael for Peyton, and I know that wouldn’t happen anyway.

I’m just saying I don’t think he is a better prospect than Peyton.

Oh I’m not advocating dropping Ishmael for Peyton, and I know that wouldn’t happen anyway.

I’m just saying I don’t think he is a better prospect than Peyton.
Have you seen them both play? I'm not doubting your opinion I just want to know why you think this.

Advertisement
Back