2021 ATH Yulkeith Brown a priority for Lashlee, shines at Battle event

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Playing with the Miami Immortals in the Battle 7v7 event this weekend, 2021 Miami Central (FL) 3-star ATH Yulkeith Brown performed like a star. Unfortunately, his team was bumped from the first round of the Sunday knockout phase of the tournament, and he reflected on the early defeat afterward.

“We all contributed to the loss, everybody made mistakes,” Brown said. “I had two dropped balls, I could’ve made those catches. There’s not a lot of room for mistakes in 7-on-7. We’re going to get back in the lab and get better. Everybody’s mad right now, but it’s going to get greater later, we’ve got to withstand the process.”

Along with countless catches and touchdowns, the 5-10 175 pound prospect had one of the highlight reel plays of the weekend, going full-extension to lay out for a diving 39-yard catch that brought the onlookers to their feet.

“We designed the play just before it happened,” Brown said. “I told coach it’s going to leave me one-on-one and I’m going to go get the ball for you, and that’s what I did.”

As for the recruiting process, Brown is having fun with the increase in attention he’s been receiving as the 2020 cycle comes to a close and the 2021 class becomes more of a priority to college coaching staffs.

“Everything’s coming to me right now, I’m just sitting back and enjoying it,” Brown said. “I have a Bama visit this weekend, I want to see Penn State, Nebraska – I’m trying to get everywhere.”

Of course, the local Hurricanes have been heavily involved with Brown since offering him last spring, and recently sent new OC Rhett Lashlee to visit him at school. Brown had last visited UM over the summer, but was planning on visiting Miami after the Battle 7v7 event ended on Sunday (he ended up making the trip).

“I want to see the new coaching staff again,” Brown said. “I met them the other day, but I just want to get with them again, see how they run everything, the campus, all that.”

Even though the Canes have changed offenses and shuffled some coaching personnel, it seems Lashlee and the rest of the staff will continue to make Brown a priority going forward.

“He’s been telling me great things,” Brown said of Lashlee. “He says he’s going to have the program and the offense straight. He wants to use me in the slot, move me to the backfield, use me everywhere.”

Although the Canes are coming off a rough 6-7 season, Brown is not down on UM’s future prospects.

“They’re having up’s and down’s, it’s just like life – there’s going to be challenges,” Brown said. “You’ve got to show that you can face them and keep winning.

“The talent there, you can compete every day in practice and you can get better. Staying home is an option because if I go to certain schools far away, my mom can only go to certain games. If I go to Miami, she could come to every game.”

Last week, Brown landed an offer from his childhood favorite school LSU, something he had been waiting on and was very excited about. He wore a backpack sporting the logo and colors of the current national champs both days at the Battle event.

“I just know they produce legends and have some of my favorite players,” Brown said of the Tigers.

With a decision timeline for during the season or just afterwards, Brown is already aware of what he will he looking for in a program.

“First will be how good is their program I want to major in? I’ll either be sports administration and business or Pre-Law. Will I play freshman year? Is the college town meant for me, is the environment for me? Does the coaching staff care about me more than just football?”

Brown is planning to graduate high school early and enroll at his school of choice for spring ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Its gonna take a miracle for him to come. I know this kids and LSU is his love

I can respect that. Hate for us to lose a Kid like this, but you can't knock him for not signing (CIS still will). wtbs YB needs to be the 1# priority for this class imho. #IBelieveInMiracles

Advertisement
Advertisement
If he likes sports admin and business pre-law, that’s a plus for us at least

Advertisement
The problem is Lashlee doesn't have that playmaker to utilize this season for Yul to reference. Maybe Knighton

Advertisement
Back