2021 4-star WR Farooq visits UM, lands offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Two weekends back, 2021 4-star WR Jalil Farooq was in South Florida with his 7-on-7 team to compete in the 7v7 tournament hosted by Battle. The talented prospect from Dr. Henry Wise High in Maryland didn’t have much trouble adjusting to the speedier Dade County athletes, as Farooq had his best game of the event against the Miami Immortals on Saturday in the seeding phase of the tournament; he racked up multiple TD’s in Team Flexx’s win.

While he was satisfied with his individual performance at the event, Farooq was disappointed that his team was bounced from the first round of the knockout phase of the tournament on Sunday.

“I felt like I performed well overall, but we came out bad [on Sunday],” Farooq said. “We were asleep.”

While Farooq was in the Miami area, he had a chance to swing by Coral Gables and visit the University of Miami, a school he’s always wanted to see.

“The visit was good, it was a great experience,” Farooq said. “I didn’t see as much as I wanted to since we were with the whole team, I wish I got to see more. But I like the history of the school and the coaching staff.”

The next day following the visit, Farooq received a call from Miami OC Rhett Lashlee, letting him know he had an offer to “The U”.

“I was pretty excited,” Farooq said. “I was hoping I would get it. I wasn’t surprised, just more excited. Coach Lashlee just told me he liked my film, loves my game, and that I would be a good fit in his offense.”

The 6-1 190 pound receiver says he is a huge college football fan, and that he is well-aware of the tradition behind the Miami program. Being from up north where the temperatures regularly get into the single digits, Farooq also said he could get used to sunny South Florida.

“What really interests me most is the history of the program – how I could fill into somebody else’s shoes that made history in college football,” Farooq said of UM. “That’d be really good. And the Miami area, I definitely like it down here, definitely love the climate down here.”

His favorite Hurricanes’ legends?

“Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, definitely Ray Lewis,” he said.

In terms of other schools involved here, Farooq has been to Penn State multiple times in the past year, and he is working on setting up a few SEC trips this spring as well.

“I’ll probably go to LSU, Georgia soon,” he said.

Farooq states that Big 10 programs Ohio State and Maryland are among his favorites right now as well. Ultimately, he wants to make his choice before his senior season so he can focus on a state title run.

“I’ll be making a decision in the summer,” Farooq said. “The factors that are going to stand out for me are definitely the area, how the weather is, and my bond with the coaches.”

Back in May at the Opening Washington D.C. Regional, Farooq recorded a 4.36 shuttle time and a 29.80 inch vertical. During his junior year, Farooq snatched 65 passes for 668 yards and 11 TD’s.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Farooq, eh? Heard he's all FSU.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Stefan,

I'm in Maryland and temperatures do not regularly get in the single digits. In fact, that is quite rare. It happens, but not very often. This week it will be between the thirties and low fifties. I think I saw itight dip into the twenties next week. Maryland, D.C, and most of the low-lying population centers have moderate winters, we are not Minnesota or New England. We've had insignificant snow so far this winter. Some winters we've had no snow.

We had more cold rain and tornado warnings but you've had the occasional tornado down there, too.

Still, even with our dark, dreary and cold winters many would rather be down there than up here. College Park is dreary year round, south Florida is so much nicer.

It did shake me somewhat to see a lengthy local TV news film of some bad rain storms in Miami with flooded streets and sidewalks in South Beach and fish flopping around.

I grew up in Miami Beach and we never had such flooding much less live fish flopping on the sidewalks around Collins or Euclid or whatever the names of the streets are down there...I can't remember.

Just this week I read some articles quoting climate scientists as to the time frame before the coastal areas go under. Maybe 30 years, maybe 80 years....one guy was from UF so maybe he was put up to it by the Gator football recruiters....

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I'll be making a decision in the summer,” Farooq said. “The factors that are going to stand out for me are definitely the area, how the weather is, and my bond with the coaches.”

UnLiKe AlL oThEr HuMaNs, FuZbALl rEcruITs dOn't CaRe aBoUT thE WeATher

It did shake me somewhat to see a lengthy local TV news film of some bad rain storms in Miami with flooded streets and sidewalks in South Beach and fish flopping around.

I grew up in Miami Beach and we never had such flooding much less live fish flopping on the sidewalks around Collins or Euclid or whatever the names of the streets are down there...I can't remember.

Just this week I read some articles quoting climate scientists as to the time frame before the coastal areas go under. Maybe 30 years, maybe 80 years....one guy was from UF so maybe he was put up to it by the Gator football recruiters....

You haven't been to So. Fla. since the social justice crowd stopped repairing sewers and drains which produces most of this flooding. But, at least the local tax money goes to paying for Pride parades, and visiting European vacation resorts for climate conferences and the like.......

Two weekends back, 2021 4-star WR Jalil Farooq was in South Florida with his 7-on-7 team to compete in the 7v7 tournament hosted by Battle. The talented prospect from Dr. Henry Wise High in Maryland didn’t have much trouble adjusting to the speedier Dade County athletes, as Farooq had his best game of the event against the Miami Immortals on Saturday in the seeding phase of the tournament; he racked up multiple TD’s in Team Flexx’s win.

While he was satisfied with his individual performance at the event, Farooq was disappointed that his team was bounced from the first round of the knockout phase of the tournament on Sunday.

“I felt like I performed well overall, but we came out bad [on Sunday],” Farooq said. “We were asleep.”

While Farooq was in the Miami area, he had a chance to swing by Coral Gables and visit the University of Miami, a school he’s always wanted to see.

“The visit was good, it was a great experience,” Farooq said. “I didn’t see as much as I wanted to since we were with the whole team, I wish I got to see more. But I like the history of the school and the coaching staff.”

The next day following the visit, Farooq received a call from Miami OC Rhett Lashlee, letting him know he had an offer to “The U”.

“I was pretty excited,” Farooq said. “I was hoping I would get it. I wasn’t surprised, just more excited. Coach Lashlee just told me he liked my film, loves my game, and that I would be a good fit in his offense.”

The 6-1 190 pound receiver says he is a huge college football fan, and that he is well-aware of the tradition behind the Miami program. Being from up north where the temperatures regularly get into the single digits, Farooq also said he could get used to sunny South Florida.

“What really interests me most is the history of the program – how I could fill into somebody else’s shoes that made history in college football,” Farooq said of UM. “That’d be really good. And the Miami area, I definitely like it down here, definitely love the climate down here.”

His favorite Hurricanes’ legends?

“Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, definitely Ray Lewis,” he said.

In terms of other schools involved here, Farooq has been to Penn State multiple times in the past year, and he is working on setting up a few SEC trips this spring as well.

“I’ll probably go to LSU, Georgia soon,” he said.

Farooq states that Big 10 programs Ohio State and Maryland are among his favorites right now as well. Ultimately, he wants to make his choice before his senior season so he can focus on a state title run.

“I’ll be making a decision in the summer,” Farooq said. “The factors that are going to stand out for me are definitely the area, how the weather is, and my bond with the coaches.”

Back in May at the Opening Washington D.C. Regional, Farooq recorded a 4.36 shuttle time and a 29.80 inch vertical. During his junior year, Farooq snatched 65 passes for 668 yards and 11 TD’s.

He is one of them weather kids so he may be cane.

Advertisement
Back