2021 4-star CB Dawson rising on UM's board, addresses commitment rumors

View as article
Advertisement
I do not think this is true. We played an average (or possibly better) offensive schedule. Per ESPN FPI's offensive ratings, we played the 10th, 18th, and 24th best offensive teams last year. We played a couple of other teams in the top half of the country. We also played a couple of below average offensive teams and a couple of stinkers.

Overall, that looks like a pretty typical distribution to me.

Also - the advanced ratings essentially EXIST in order to adjust for strength of schedule, and the most prominent rating systems were high on our defense all year. Obviously the front 7 had a lot to do with that, but the front 7 wasn't so elite that it could compensate for a bad secondary.

The secondary - including the corners - has been consistently good the last 4 years.
Look I'm not trying to be argumentative and I do like our defensive scheme for the most part although I didn't care for Baker at all. In 2019 we played garbage offenses for the most part. Louisville was a good offense and UNC became a good offense towards the last half of the year but they had not reached that level at the time we played them. FSU and UF(When we played them) were OK as was UVA but BCC, Duke, GT, Pitt, CMU, FIU and VT were garbage. Don't misunderstand I think we had a good defense that played extremely well in stretches but overall we had too many weaknesses and inconsistencies. I think our overall ranking in total defense was in no small part a function of that schedule. We can agree to disagree. Now the 2018 defense was legit and is what our defense is capable of being and more on a consistent basis.

This is true. Every time an announcer mentions "Miami speed" I chuckle. We ain't had proper team speed in years.
DE is the only position group that has had eye popping speed. Harley and JT came in with so much hype about being burners but they haven't/didnt live up to it. Idc wat the rating or their size is we need to start getting some legit 4.3/4.4 guys in here. Guys like Tutu should be on this team. Fleming should have been here too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have no problem with dawson...I'm just not sure he's needed, I like Tim Burns better and I don't know how many 155 lb corners you can take.

Sneaking suspicion is that this kid is the reason we aren't all over Ortiz Jr. Similar stature but Dawson has the bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (22.01 200m vs 23.75)

Soooo many names at DB...Not sure whose spot is related to whose just yet.

Advertisement
Soooo many names at DB...Not sure whose spot is related to whose just yet.
Rumph ain’t that good enough of a recruiter to even think that. You take both
Whether we like it or not Rumph likes to limit one smaller db per class. Every coach has a rankings board. If Dawson is above Ortiz then that spot would go to him. See what I’m saying?

DE is the only position group that has had eye popping speed. Harley and JT came in with so much hype about being burners but they haven't/didnt live up to it. Idc wat the rating or their size is we need to start getting some legit 4.3/4.4 guys in here. Guys like Tutu should be on this team. Fleming should have been here too.
I understand the point you are trying to make and I am in complete agreement as far as needing to continue to upgrade our team speed. The 2 examples you mentioned however do not support this narrative. Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley and Dee Wiggins for that matter all have excellent speed. They didn't get the ideal amount of opportunities to showcase that speed as the result of being forced to play in an offensive scheme straight out of the leather helmet era.

In my opinion the part of this team in most need of an injection of speed is the back 7. Much of that is being addressed with kids like Brooks, Huff and Austin-Cave at LB with players like Avantae Williams, Clarke, Dunson, Couch and Keontra Smith. In 2 years I would like to see us field one of the fastest teams in the nation.

Advertisement
Not that big in stature but has great speed running an official 10.71 in the 100 meters in the high school state championships on May 4, 2019.

Assuming Burns sticks:

Taking a shot at the rest of the board for hopefully 2, but possibly only 1 more spot (no order)...Maybe it looks like this

Dawson (ATH?)
Dunn (ATH? )
Ortiz (S?)
Edwards
Mcburrows
Chestnut (S?)
O'Brien (S?)
Knowles
I.Johnson (fugg it I included him, I think we have a puncher's chance if anyone does)
T.Marshall (one of these Dade big timers will stay home if we break out this season, I'm including him, I know we are behind)
Curtis- Hopefully WR coach wins out
Alexis- Hopefully WR coach wins out

In no order I think this is our CB board right now, we'll take 2 at least 3, and obviously Rumph usually misses so who knows. Gonna need size at one point, as there are so many VERY GOOD small corners this year locally. (there always is, but really some studs, and really a large number this year)

Others who could work their way into picture...C.Brantley, O.Simpson, T.Gaskin, T. Russell, O.Cooper, W.Frazier, R.Hallman. I'd especially pay attention to the size of Brantley and Frazier if we take another smaller guy in addition to Burns.

Advertisement
Assuming Burns sticks:

Taking a shot at the rest of the board for hopefully 2, but possibly only 1 more spot (no order)...Maybe it looks like this

Dawson (ATH?)
Dunn (ATH? )
Ortiz (S?)
Edwards
Mcburrows
Chestnut (S?)
O'Brien (S?)
Knowles
I.Johnson (fugg it I included him, I think we have a puncher's chance if anyone does)
T.Marshall (one of these Dade big timers will stay home if we break out this season, I'm including him, I know we are behind)
Curtis- Hopefully WR coach wins out
Alexis- Hopefully WR coach wins out

In no order I think this is our CB board right now, we'll take 2 at least 3, and obviously Rumph usually misses so who knows. Gonna need size at one point, as there are so many VERY GOOD small corners this year locally. (there always is, but really some studs, and really a large number this year)

Others who could work their way into picture...C.Brantley, O.Simpson, T.Gaskin, T. Russell, O.Cooper, W.Frazier, R.Hallman. I'd especially pay attention to the size of Brantley and Frazier if we take another smaller guy in addition to Burns.
Collier?

I have no problem with dawson...I'm just not sure he's needed, I like Tim Burns better and I don't know how many 155 lb corners you can take.
2 different players to me despite similar size. I think Dawson has the frame to be significantly heavier than burns. I see Dawson as a future outside corner where as for burns is hard to see him outside the nickel slot.

Advertisement
Back