2020 UF commit Griffis showing interest in Canes, will visit this weekend

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 UF defensive end commit Josh Griffis committed to head coach Jim McElwain’s staff when he got his offer back in September of last year. With McElwain now gone, the IMG Academy 3-star remains committed to the Gators, but Griffis will be exploring all his options to make sure he is making the right choice for his future. One of those potential options could be the Miami Hurricanes.

“It’s going okay with UF,” Griffis said on his commitment status. “I haven’t signed anything saying I’m going there, though. My recruitment is open to any colleges and I will stay exploring my options. Miami is definitely a school I’ll be interested in.”

Even though he doesn’t yet have an offer from the Canes, Griffis has been in contact with the UM staff and hopes going to campus and getting evaluated in person will change things with Miami. He’ll be in town this weekend to do just that.

“Coach (Jon) Patke, the outside linebackers coach, has watched me play in spring and told me he likes the way I play,” Griffis said. “I haven’t talked to him enough to where he mentioned something about an offer, but this weekend at the camp, I’m going to show them why I should have an offer there.”

While the Hurricanes are indeed holding a summer camp session that day, Griffis, who lists himself at 6’4” 226 pounds, says the trip to Coral Gables will also be about meeting with the coaching staff and touring the campus.

“I’m interested to see the connection the players have with the coaching staff, the dynamics of the school, as well as what their football program is made of,” Griffis said on UM.

So, just what is it that is drawing Griffis’ interest to Miami?

“I’ve grown up watching Miami. I know a couple players on the team that play there now and it looks like a great school,” Griffis said. “I’ve heard it was a great program, plus the new head coach has really turned the program around. He looks like he has a plan to win a championship. I want to go on the visit to see for myself.”

And if the Canes did come through with an offer?

“They would be in my top 5,” Griffis said. “A school I would really consider.”

The Canes aren’t the only school Griffis plans on seeing this summer. He’s also ready to make the rounds on some top SEC campuses, along with the Florida State Seminoles.

“Florida State, Florida, Georgia, and Auburn, maybe Alabama,” Griffis said on his upcoming visits.

Although he won’t come to a final decision until his Signing Day nearly two years from now, Griffis does know what he will be looking for in a program of his choice.

“Probably signing day,” Griffis said on his decision timetable. “I’m looking for an education, a hard working team, and great competition every day.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back