2020 Top247 CB Gray adds UM offer, will attend Underclassman Day

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami Central 4-star CB Henry Gray was out competing at the UA All-America Miami camp on Sunday and has 10 early offers so far, including one from the Miami Hurricanes just last week. Gray grew up watching the Canes as a Florida boy and was thrilled to have a scholarship to “The U”.

“It was last week Friday,” Gray said of his Miami offer. "It was crazy, I was in my seventh period and my coaches texted me and told me. I was excited man, that made my whole day. I’ve been a Miami fan my whole life, since I was a little kid.”

DC Manny Diaz and CB coach Mike Rumph have made Gray's recruitment a tag-team effort, and the gridiron star has formed a close connection with the two Canes coaches.

“I talk to coach Diaz a lot actually,” Gray said. “I had talked to coach Rumph when I was at Miramar.”

Growing up in Florida and always being exposed to UM isn’t the only reason for Gray’s interest in the Canes. He cites the success and bravado of the defense as reasons why he could see himself at Miami.

“Really, I like the swagger of their DB’s, you know, they just introduced the Turnover Chain,” Gray said. “I just like the way they carry themselves there, they have a lot of swag.”

Gray will put his interest into action very soon: he’ll be on campus for the Canes elite invite-only Underclassman Day in less than two weeks.

“I’m going to Miami on the 31st, for the Underclassman Day,” said Gray. “I’m gonna look for the family aspect of it, see how they treating me. I’ll be there with some friends, and my mom.”

And who are those friends?

“It’ll be me, Derek Wingo, Majon Wright, and Marcus Rosemy,” Gray said.

It was Gray’s big sophomore season at Miramar (he’s since transferred to Miami Central) on the field that got the attention of the Canes and others.

“I did real good. I had 3 interceptions, 2 for a touchdown,” Gray said. “We finished good. We beat St. Thomas our last game (of the regular season), but lost in the first round of the playoffs.”

While the 6’1” 175 pounder also has early offers from Louisville, Baylor, Kentucky, and Boston College, he claims no leaders or top groups, but had this to say instead: “I’m really liking Miami, though. I’m trying to decide between the end of my junior year, and the beginning of my senior year.”

What are his goal for the 2018 season and first at Miami Central?

“We really trying to win states,” Gray said. “I want to get my stats up, that’s always important, and stay healthy."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back