2020 STA ATH Restrepo hits campus last weekend, talks Canes and Aquinas

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Back in January, 2020 St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) ATH Xavier Restrepo secured a Miami Hurricanes offer from the staff to add to his already impressive offer list. Last weekend, he joined his talented STA team on campus to compete in Miami’s 7-on-7 tournament hosted on Greentree and Restrepo, who plays both receiver and defensive back, showed out on both sides of the ball for Aquinas.

“Yes sir, I was down there. It got cancelled though with 3 games left cause of the weather,” Restrepo said. “I played both offense and defense and played well. I’ll never say I played perfect or great because I can always do better, but overall it was good.”

This was Restrepo’s second trip to Miami’s campus; he first visited Coral Gables back in March for Underclassmen Day. Restrepo enjoyed his visit last weekend and has begun to build a relationship with Manny Diaz and Ephraim Banda.

“Of course I enjoyed it, it always feels great stepping on UM’s campus,” said Restepo. “I got to see coach Banda and coach Diaz out there, it’s all love out there.”

By the end of the tournament, two of Restrepo’s STA teammates landed UM offers in WR Marcus Rosemy and LB Derek Wingo. In fact, Rosemy and Restrepo have the potential to form an extremely dangerous duo at receiver for opposing defenses in 2018.

“Yeah, Marcus and Wingo both got offered. I think it’s great! I love to see my brothers winning and eating, they both deserve it,” Restrepo said. “Marcus is one of them receivers that if it’s a jump ball, I’ll put everything on it that he’s coming down with it.”

So, what has Restrepo interested in the Canes?

“I love the history of the program,” Restrepo said. “All the great players who came out of there, like Sean Taylor, the coaching staff, and the swag Miami has. I also want to study sports medicine, which I know Miami has a great program for.”

For his junior season and first at STA after transferring in from Monarch, Restrepo will play both offense and defense. However, he anticipates his biggest impact will be felt on the Raiders’ scoring unit in 2018.

“I’m playing both sides, but they really need me on the offensive side of the ball more than anything,” Restrepo said.

With even more visibility at STA, his junior season will be a chance for Restrepo to build his already impressive early offer list. In addition to the Canes, schools like Texas, Georgia, Louisville, and Mississippi State have extended scholarships to Restrepo, and the Michigan Wolverines joined the party as well recently.

“Recruiting is going great,” said Restrepo. “I got Michigan a few weeks ago. I’m just enjoying the process right now and focusing on working on my craft daily.”

Restrepo plans an early decision after his junior season. Even though he hasn’t yet begun to narrow down his options, he knows one school will be involved until the very end.

“I’m gonna start narrowing down my schools at the beginning of my junior year so I can start taking my official visits,” Restrepo said. “By the end of my junior year, I’m making my final decision. UM will definitely be in my top schools though.”

Advertisement
Great prospect. As @Cortez55403 noted, he is a menace blocking kicks. That is usually a good indicator of a playmaker with explosiveness and motor.

Hope we land him and put him on defense.
Agreed. Put this terror on defense and let him work. He would be a great WR as well but I don't see room for him there with how loaded the 2020 class is.

Advertisement
Great prospect. As @Cortez55403 noted, he is a menace blocking kicks. That is usually a good indicator of a playmaker with explosiveness and motor.

Hope we land him and put him on defense.

He reminds me of Harrison Smith on Defense. Looks like a beast back there.

He would be perfect for that Rover spot!! The kid is a football player, and he will find a spot on the sqad..

Advertisement
Wonder if he is related to the namesake character in 2010 documentary about a U.S.platoon in Afghanistan....."Restrepo". Sebastion Junger produced.....great film

Advertisement
Advertisement
Better off at STA then corrupt Monarch
Na, you’ll be sending him my way lol. I would be out there every game with the boys and we would make sure to get to know him.

Calvin and Shawn would’ve been canes if they could’ve academically qualified.

Advertisement
Back