2020 Spring Practice Summary - 3/3

View as article
Giving up on Zion after last season would be foolish and shortsighted.

Expecting that young man to throw on 60+ pounds of weight in a matter of months, then askIng him to perform at a high level with it at one of the toughest positions in football was one of several major fails by last year’s staff.

Remember he was asked to do this as a true freshman in a poorly conceived offense that was terribly coached in front of disinterested to incompetent QB play.

Despite all that he showed plenty of flashes of solid potential. He just needs time and good coaching imo.

Not selling Zion stock yet.

I'm all in on Zion. We might as well all be because hes all we got unless you are expecting Campbell to make this huge leap and take the LT spot while Scaife goes back to RT.

Advertisement
Which QBs are you saying will get significantly better? I think Martell is who he is. Perry too. The system will make Perry look better than he really is. He can be a solid backup maybe. King and TVD are the 2 I am expecting to make leaps in this system but its because they already had big time talent to begin with.
How can you say TVD has more talent than Perry and Tate? Perry and Tate both looked better than him in high school AND were higher rated.

Expecting that young man to throw on 60+ pounds of weight in a matter of months, then askIng him to perform at a high level with it at one of the toughest positions in football was one of several major fails by last year’s staff.

Remember he was asked to do this as a true freshman in a poorly conceived offense that was terribly coached in front of disinterested to incompetent QB play.

Despite all that he showed plenty of flashes of solid potential. He just needs time and good coaching imo.

We don't have time to wait on him to figure out how to anchor & how to get his footwork correct.

Until he figures it out he needs to be on the sideline, playing him compromises the offense.

I understand people just don't wanna give up ever on any player until they've proven on the field that they're not good enough but that comes at the cost of us losing games.

We cannot afford growing pains from the OL this season, they need to be far better than they've been in order for us to win, this isn't a developmental year, it's imperative we win 10 games and the coastal.

Enough with experimenting, if you can't consistently play your spot well enough to not be a liability then you need not jeopardize the rest of the offense. At some point we can't handle every situation with kid gloves, it's business nothing personal.

We don't have time to wait on him to figure out how to anchor & how to get his footwork correct.

Until he figures it out he needs to be on the sideline, playing him compromises the offense.

I understand people just don't wanna give up ever on any player until they've proven on the field that they're not good enough but that comes at the cost of us losing games.

We cannot afford growing pains from the OL this season, they need to be far better than they've been in order for us to win, this isn't a developmental year, it's imperative we win 10 games and the coastal.

Enough with experimenting, if you can't consistently play your spot well enough to not be a liability then you need not jeopardize the rest of the offense. At some point we can't handle every situation with kid gloves, it's business nothing personal.

the moment they signed King, it became a win now year. no excuses and manny cant afford another developmental year either. he needs to win big now

Think there’s a difference between not giving up on a player and deciding after one forgettable season that he’ll never contribute.

Some players learn and develop, some shrink and disappear.

Imo he was put in an impossible situation last season but still has a good upside. Maybe not this season but at some point down the road.

Advertisement
For every horrible game he had, there is a game I can show you where he **** sure held his own and showed what he could become. At this point, you can't redshirt Zion. Its too late. That ship has sailed. Playing the "what we SHOULD have done.." game is pointless. We need him because we have no one else.

We sure can...and we probably should.

I'm all in on Zion. We might as well all be because hes all we got unless you are expecting Campbell to make this huge leap and take the LT spot while Scaife goes back to RT.

I don't understand why you have faith in Zion but not Campbell? They both got worked against UF...but only Campbell got benched. Why? Campbell actually played pretty well when McD went down. Zion gave up what? 15 sacks? And was Scaife not part of the OL that gave up 50 sacks? Why does he get a pass? He gave up a sack fumble against Duke...and that's just one that I remember. I'm sure there were plenty more.

So you ready to ride the wave on the coattails of Campbell, Herbert and Hillary at OT?

Herbert and Hillary? No. Herbert looked worse than Zion against Duke. Campbell? Absolutely. He was a redshirt freshman and he had one bad game against the best pass rushing team in the SEC. He gets a pass from me because he came back later in the season and played well against Duke and LaTech. Yes, I know it's Duke and LaTech and he was playing guard...but Zion got embarrassed in multiple games last season. He had no business being out there. He wasn't ready. Not his fault. Totally on Butch Barry. That's just my opinion.

Advertisement
I don't understand why you have faith in Zion but not Campbell? They both got worked against UF...but only Campbell got benched. Why? Campbell actually played pretty well when McD went down. Zion gave up what? 15 sacks? And was Scaife not part of the OL that gave up 50 sacks? Why does he get a pass? He gave up a sack fumble against Duke...and that's just one that I remember. I'm sure there were plenty more.

There have actually been games we can point to where posters and fans left that game saying "****, Zion might actually be alright once he gets some experience under his belt"...The FSU game comes to mind. And the UL game. Zion was a TF. Campbell is in his 3rd year in the program. At this point its put up or shut up for him. If he cant lock down a starting job by end of Spring, then I am not sure what else he can offer us here besides being a career backup. I haven't lost faith but I am not going to just automatically throw a RS on Zion and put the most promising UM season we have had since Mark Richts first year here in the hands of Campbell and Herbert either.

There have actually been games we can point to where posters and fans left that game saying "****, Zion might actually be alright once he gets some experience under his belt"...The FSU game comes to mind. And the UL game. Zion was a TF. Campbell is in his 3rd year in the program. At this point its put up or shut up for him. If he cant lock down a starting job by end of Spring, then I am not sure what else he can offer us here besides being a career backup. I haven't lost faith but I am not going to just automatically throw a RS on Zion and put the most promising UM season we have had since Mark Richts first year here in the hands of Campbell and Herbert either.

Campbell was a redshirt freshman dude. He had 12 months on Zion. They both enrolled in January. Also, the offense was new to both of them, so what advantage did Campbell actually have? Oh yeah, he redshirted so he could develop and get stronger. That's the whole point. Zion needed a year to develop. He was thrown out there and left to fend for himself in the wilderness like a young Spartan. Did he play well at times? Yes he did. Did he also almost get his QB killed multiple times throughout the season? Yes he did. Look, I'm not saying that Campbell is so much better than Zion that it's a no brainier that he should be the starting LT. I know for a fact that Zion still needs time to develop. I agree with you that it's put up or shut up time for Campbell.

I don't see anyone bytching. Just things that we have seen before that have lead to our eventual downfall when the season starts. (bad OL play, No chemistry at the S spot, WRs dropping balls, etc) We are smart enough now not to ignore this stuff.
OL, right now is hands down the most important position to fix on this roster. It has potential to completely destroy an offense. As we saw last season even though we were dealing with PEnos, the OL was horrific

Sold it a ling time ago. Still find it hilarious that some were saying he could grow into a 1st rounder one day. Yes, underweight and young, but he never looked like a draft pick, let alone a 1st rounder.

Flashes? What, when he actually blocked someone?

As for why he was moved to RT, that's likely a tell since our starter will be left handed King. Scary that our best options are Campbell and Zion at the tackle spots.

Advertisement
No rational person would say Nelson and Campbell are JAGs or wash outs. But they certainly weren't ready to start last year. And until they prove they've taken a massive step in their development, we should be very worried they are our best options at tackle. It's not like watching Quan or Bandy or Shaq as Freshmen and believing they'd be Miami-level starters as Sophomores. Those guys were beasts. These guys were pure trash.

Will they get better, absolutely. Will they eventually be good enough to be top quartile ACC starters? Maybe. Will they be that good this coming season? Don't bet the team on it.

I'm encouraged by the Justice hire. Young, enthusiastic guy with experience actually playing and coaching in a fast paced offense at a high level. Early reviews are positive.
In Lashlee's presser, he mentioned he wanted to settle on a starting 5 quickly (by the end of this week) and let those 5 learn their positions and gel as a unit. It'll be interesting to see if that happens and obviously who those 5 will be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back