2020 oline class outlook

So the local OL that we've signed recently (Fats Donaldson, Herbert, etc.) are **** but we are upset that guys like Walker and Dumervil aren't coming? Can't have it both ways.

Advertisement
To add onto what I said above... We did great to land Rivers. He’s a National Championship caliber piece to an OL... if he’s taken care of correctly in the weight room and coached properly. Washington is a great take from a developmental standpoint and will contribute 2-3 years down the road.

But I don’t understand not offering Khris Love who blows people off the ball, already has the size, showed great explosion in his vertical testing numbers and a quick shuttle. Has the offers from BC, Kentucky, Utah, and Charlie Partridge at Pitt. Teams that typically are good at running the ball and evaluating OL. Makes 0 sense to me. I can understand that we’re 6-6 and not landing Dumervil and Walker but letting a guy like Love go elsewhere is retarded

At some point we’re going to have to start developing the OL we are landing or fix the evaluation process. We don’t have room to carry 20 guys on the OL because we have to bring in 5 per class to fine 1-2 decent guys.

We need to get to the point where we are good enough at weight room and on field development that we only need to take 3 per class on a normal year, maybe 4 if guys are leaving early

I’m not sold on Butch Barry (how could anyone be) but all the talk about him being a technician type of coach and looking for long, lean athletes to develop into players sounded good.

Most programs take a long time developing offensive line recruits into good starters. Most programs with good offensive lines have what is essentially an ideal recruit profile and stick to it.

In a perfect world Miami would have a great offensive line coach who would take 1-2 projects every year who were raw football players with a wrestling and basketball background is my view. No one has the patience today though to take what is essentially Zion Nelson and sit him for 2 years before he is even allowed to compete to start.

It sucks missing on the “can’t miss” prospects like Walker and Dumervil but there are plenty of guys who will start at tackle for good teams and not all of them are 4* guys. If Miami can’t recruit with the big boys they need to find a type and a development philosophy and stick to it.

I’m not sold on Butch Barry (how could anyone be) but all the talk about him being a technician type of coach and looking for long, lean athletes to develop into players sounded good.

Most programs take a long time developing offensive line recruits into good starters. Most programs with good offensive lines have what is essentially an ideal recruit profile and stick to it.

In a perfect world Miami would have a great offensive line coach who would take 1-2 projects every year who were raw football players with a wrestling and basketball background is my view. No one has the patience today though to take what is essentially Zion Nelson and sit him for 2 years before he is even allowed to compete to start.

It sucks missing on the “can’t miss” prospects like Walker and Dumervil but there are plenty of guys in this class who will start at tackle for good teams and not all of them are 4* guys. If Miami can’t recruit with the big boys they need to find a type and a development philosophy and stick to it.

I like taking the projects and developing them the right way. I’m perfectly fine with the 2 we have committed. If we want to fix the OL we’re gonna have to stop taking the guys with serious injuries their senior years. They go from a 2 year project to a 3-4 year project and you probably need them before then.

Everyone we’re can’t be 6’5 260 to develop because they’re just physically not close. If we sign Baynes, we’re stupid because we have the same player in Khris Love 45 minutes away that’s not coming off of an injury.

Jakai Clark was a good take, Scaife was a good take, Rivers is a good take, and Gaynor was a good take. I think Navaughn could be but he’s lazy. We don’t get to know these kids to realize if they are built to work or not because that’s the only way to make it in the trenches. If you’re lazy or already coming in injured it’s just not gonna happen

Advertisement
The spot we are the thinnest at is OG. 2 should be minimum.

The offensive line is thin all over but by far thinnest at tackle. Nelson is awful at tackle and won the job easily. Campbell was forced to move inside after he proved he couldn’t play outside. Scaife is not a tackle he is a guard. Clark is a center or guard. Herbert, Hillery, and Dykstra aren’t worth mentioning for any position apparently. Traore at least started at guard in JUCO. Donaldson (not recently) and Campbell have at different times looked passable at guard.

Miami will go into 2020 starting Rivers and Nelson at tackle is my prediction. El Gammal could be the third tackle next season is how bad it is today.

The offensive line is thin all over but by far thinnest at tackle. Nelson is awful at tackle and won the job easily. Campbell was forced to move inside after he proved he couldn’t play outside. Scaife is not a tackle he is a guard. Clark is a center or guard. Herbert, Hillery, and Dykstra aren’t worth mentioning for any position apparently. Traore at least started at guard in JUCO. Donaldson (not recently) and Campbell have at different times looked passable at guard.

Miami will go into 2020 starting Rivers and Nelson at tackle is my prediction. El Gammal could be the third tackle next season is how bad it is today.
Nelson showed the most improvement this year within the group, a close 2nd to Clark.

Advertisement
I like taking the projects and developing them the right way. I’m perfectly fine with the 2 we have committed. If we want to fix the OL we’re gonna have to stop taking the guys with serious injuries their senior years. They go from a 2 year project to a 3-4 year project and you probably need them before then.

Everyone we’re can’t be 6’5 260 to develop because they’re just physically not close. If we sign Baynes, we’re stupid because we have the same player in Khris Love 45 minutes away that’s not coming off of an injury.

Jakai Clark was a good take, Scaife was a good take, Rivers is a good take, and Gaynor was a good take. I think Navaughn could be but he’s lazy. We don’t get to know these kids to realize if they are built to work or not because that’s the only way to make it in the trenches. If you’re lazy or already coming in injured it’s just not gonna happen

I’m not advocating every take be a 6’6 250 pound project but if the options are to pick well-coached but injured and slow footed guys with eating problems I’d take the athletes everyday and roll the dice on developing them. Florida weirdly enough has the opposite view and seems to love taking morbidly obese monsters and turning them into players.

Either way this program needs to decide on what their ideal linemen look and play like and stick to it. And expecting freshmen or true freshmen to be solid starters is a bad plan. I’m fine with the program making it so that guys playing offensive line aren’t playing much until they are sophomores. The bandaid solutions need to stop at some point.

With the roster currently I’m all for more tackle projects because recently all the tackles this program takes eventually get exposed as just being tall guards.

Last edited:
At some point we’re going to have to start developing the OL we are landing or fix the evaluation process. We don’t have room to carry 20 guys on the OL because we have to bring in 5 per class to fine 1-2 decent guys.

We continuously recruit the guys with all of the red flags (Dykstra from Iowa with no Iowa or Iowa state offer, Herbert with a torn labrum and most schools cooling on him, Tre Johnson had no offers to play OL at the D1 level, Hillery was the worst player at paradise camp, etc etc)

We need to get to the point where we are good enough at weight room and on field development that we only need to take 3 per class on a normal year, maybe 4 if guys are leaving early, and not taking the guys that are coming off surgery and already going to be behind in the weight room (looking at Baynes this year having a serious injury his senior year)

Again it goes back to scheme on offense. We have to gimmick ourselves to 10 wins to get a bump recruiting and reasonably attract some good players. We’re not gonna be able to line up and do what Alabama does with the OL we’re fielding now.

My rant for the day.
need to hire an excellent talent evaluator on staff. Butch was excellent to see what i guy was going be vs. what he is
tommy tuberville had a very good record at Auburn and his classes were filled with guys who he knew were going to be's....Also have to find high character , competitive guys as well..... leadership we seem to lack the Ray lewis, Ed Reed type of player leadership guys during our recent slide
also S&C program is way, way behind..... picked up a Wall street journal at my hotel leaving thru it and their is a full page article on the S&C program and a new startup group running program called Perch. S&C group at LSU run by Moffitt...... worked for Butch.... point being we lack explosive strength off the ball
when was last time we dominated LOS....
that's my rant

Scaife will be one of the starting tackles

To add onto what I said above... We did great to land Rivers. He’s a National Championship caliber piece to an OL... if he’s taken care of correctly in the weight room and coached properly. Washington is a great take from a developmental standpoint and will contribute 2-3 years down the road.

But I don’t understand not offering Khris Love who blows people off the ball, already has the size, showed great explosion in his vertical testing numbers and a quick shuttle. Has the offers from BC, Kentucky, Utah, and Charlie Partridge at Pitt. Teams that typically are good at running the ball and evaluating OL. Makes 0 sense to me. I can understand that we’re 6-6 and not landing Dumervil and Walker but letting a guy like Love go elsewhere is retarded
Khris Love = Cleveland Reed. Not saying he won't become an All American and a high caliber NFL player. But he's probably not a miss

Advertisement
And moise possibly being used as an offensive lineman given what we have at dt, that’s a good infusion of talent on the oline IMO. Hope we close on that Texas A&M oline commit as well. Doubt they (Texas A&M) want him to visit but he’s still going to next weekend.

off the radar but 5 star uga commit Broderick Jones isn’t signing early and In the past he said was going to take an official to Miami so maybe he’s someone we Go after the early signing period

this class so far looking like it won’t be that bad at all really

DT or G moise(possibly an olineman)
G/T Baynes
T Washington
T/G jalen Rivers

bonus- with reed coming back after missing nearly the entire season.

I disagree...That's definitely not enough imo, whether it includes Moise or not.

So I hear ya when you say "so far" but there better **** well be more.

Zion Nelson better have to compete for his job next year. Just because he started this year because you had nothing else, doesn't mean he should start the rest of his career if he doesn't improve. Does he have potential? Does he have an excuse for giving up 15ish sacks? Yes of course, he's 18 year old...But he certainly did nothing to be any kinda lock moving forward

It's a kinder, gentler Miami.

They just need some new coaching gear to go with it - perhaps like these fellows:

clowns.jpg

Quit Miami during the season you can always come on back . Then the coach talks about culture problems.....makes sense.

Advertisement
Zion Nelson better have to compete for his job next year. Just because he started this year because you had nothing else, doesn't mean he should start the rest of his career if he doesn't improve. Does he have potential? Does he have an excuse for giving up 15ish sacks? Yes of course, he's 18 year old...But he certainly did nothing to be any kinda lock moving forward
No one outside of greg Rousseau should be allowed to say they are starting, every other spot needs to be earned from now on

No one outside of greg Rousseau should be allowed to say they are starting, every other spot needs to be earned from now on
Rousseau, Gurvan, Blades, Jon Ford & Nesta should all be guaranteed starters on Defense.

Brevin, Cam, Gaynor & Wiggins on Offense.

Ya but unfortunately I don't think this staff sees it that way...

And I'd prob say Brevin Jordan...And I definitely WOULDN'T SAY Jarren Williams

Ya but unfortunately I don't think this staff sees it that way...

And I'd prob say Brevin Jordan...And I definitely WOULDN'T SAY Jarren Williams
Im a Jarren fan and Even I wouldnt Say he for sure should be the starter next year, yeah he’s flashed a lot but he also has not played good in a few instances but he needs to go in there and win the job again. I would say Jordan as well but it’s really just a figure a speech, I just Want legit competition everywhere

Advertisement
Back