2020 NFL Draft Profile: LB Shaq Quarterman

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Shaquille Quarterman was a starter from the first day he stepped on campus as a true freshman. Quarterman started all 52 games in college, a school record for consecutive starts, and was extremely productive, finishing his career with 356 tackles, 107 of which came his senior season.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 6’0”

Weight: 234 pounds

Arms: 31 5/8”

Hands: 9 1/8”

Strengths

Sure tackler

Quarterman throws as much force as anyone behind each and every tackle and does not ever sacrifice his form to do so. Not only is Quarterman going to bring you down if he makes contact with you, he is also going to make sure you remember him.

Durability and Consistency

Shaq Quarterman plays one of the most physically demanding positions in all of football and plays it with more physicality than most people. Despite this, Quarterman never missed a game due to off the field issues or injuries. Quarterman is going to consistently be ready to play, and play at the same level every time he is on the field.

Weaknesses

Sideline-to-Sideline Speed

What could hurt Quarterman’s draft stock the most is his straight-line speed and ability to get sideline-to-sideline. Quarterman’s speed, or lack thereof, makes him a liability on 3rd downs.

Short Area Quickness

Quarterman’s movement skills leave something to be desired, both in straight line speed and short area quickness and agility. This weakness is most prevalent in the open field when one-on-one with a ball carrier. If Quarterman can get his hands on the ball carrier they are going down, but occasionally that does not happen.

Draft Projection: 5th-6th round

Quarterman is an old school, downhill, physical middle linebacker who lacks sideline-to-sideline speed. This does not mean that he cannot play in today’s modern NFL of 4-2-5 defenses that utilize faster linebackers, but it does mean that he needs to find the right fit to be successful. The lack of speed will scare off some teams, but someone on day three will see the value of a hard-nosed, sure tackling, traditional middle linebacker with strong leadership skills.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I feel the need to comment. Love my U But We must keep it real! To say (above poster) Missed tackles is On Diaz"s scheme/coaching IS Ludicrous! If I have to Explain further for the Couch Potatoes I Will! But Bad angles by Shaq Are on Shaq Period! If you need further Explanation contact Me! Like the Kid but my prior Posts question his Future in the NFL! Leader Yes "Best Linebacker in the Country as stated by Diaz(Giving him a slight pass last year, Growing Pains??) will Always be the DUMBEST thing Diaz has ever Said! BTW Shaq = Zero Coverage Skills! Sorry The Truth Hurts! I personally Think Pickney(more athletic) Has a better chance at a NFL career. Stay safe ALL!!!!!!

Shaq has enough speed. He ran a 4.7. The Jags just paid a MLB $50mil who ran a 4.7. What Shaq lacks is the instincts not to get juked by a good RB and the striking power to knock guys backwards. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he starts somewhere on 1st and 2nd downs. He’s a great kid and whoever drafts him will be very happy. This class isn’t deep at LB so he may go as high as late 3rd or as late as early 5th.

Advertisement
Shaq has enough speed. He ran a 4.7. The Jags just paid a MLB $50mil who ran a 4.7. What Shaq lacks is the instincts not to get juked by a good RB and the striking power to knock guys backwards. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he starts somewhere on 1st and 2nd downs. He’s a great kid and whoever drafts him will be very happy. This class isn’t deep at LB so he may go as high as late 3rd or as late as early 5th.
You are drunk if you really think he goes before the 5th.

Advertisement
Coverage Skills Ok!.... What a Stretch. You are an Optimist with your draft projections! Starter? Not at all Likely! You talk about Instincts Go look at Game Films/Hilights/Lowights, He Guessed wrong Almost every time! Which I always Amazed out! Great Instincts Doesn't mean Bad Angles And getting Fooled! Shaq Failing to find TE or Back in Coverage Hard to Watch! 4.7 is SLOOOWWWW! That Jag Signee Watch him on the Field THATS Not Shaq! Sorry! No bigger Fan than me of the "U" But Shaq isn't One of the Great Miami Linebackers Ever Not even Close!

His 40 time, while not blazing isn't his issue. It's his lateral quickness or lack of. He's stiff and not a very good athlete. In the 90's he'd probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick because in a phone booth, he's a great MLB. These days, there's too much spread and playing in space for a guy like Shaq to be dominant. He'll get drafted and have a job as a reserve LB because he's a smart player, hard worker and good leader. Unfortunately, without the natural athletic ability, his ceiling is limited to a 2 down ILB.

Advertisement
A lot of mmt fellow Eagles fans love Shaq and want him on the team.
I can see Philly drafting him. Shaq seems like a Jim Schwartz MLB type of guy.

Last edited:
Terrible in Pass coverage....Bad angles.....Better UM teams??....There isn't one Very Good or Elite UM team that he'd have started on....
Y’all hate every player that come out of the U nowadays lol. Shaq ain’t did nothing wrong to be constantly sh*tted on. I hope he proves Everyone wrong at the next level. Was a perfect player? No but he was a good linebacker at Miami and played hard

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back