2020 NFL Draft Profile: DE Jonathan Garvin

View as article
Advertisement
Garvin was projected to be a 6th rounder in this draft.

Any team that might've drafted him higher than that would've been simply taking a flyer on a younger player.

He's got good athleticsm & good hands, but is inconsistent, had bad contact balance & doesn't have good enough functional strength to be a full time 4-3 DE in the league. He's a essentially a situational pass rusher as a border line low round late draft pick.

I hope he surprises & does great, but he'll be lucky to stick in the league for a season or 2.

Garvin was projected to be a 6th rounder in this draft.

Any team that might've drafted him higher than that would've been simply taking a flyer on a younger player.

He's got good athleticsm & good hands, but is inconsistent, had bad contact balance & doesn't have good enough functional strength to be a full time 4-3 DE in the league. He's a essentially a situational pass rusher as a border line low round late draft pick.

I hope he surprises & does great, but he'll be lucky to stick in the league for a season or 2.
Would you be surprised by this after watching him freshman year? Man that sucks

Dude simply wasn't developed and was allowed to be complacent. That's the bottom line. If there's one thing I know, it's DE play. He had all the physical tools to be an early round pick. This wasn't a case of being too small, or unathletic, or stiff like Joe Jackson. This was a kid who had all the physical tools to run circles around NFL caliber offensive tackles his freshman year.

He never sharpened his game. Never added new moves to his repertoire. Never got any better. I would blame the kid if the same exact thing hadn't happened to previous Defensive Ends here.

Advertisement
Dude simply wasn't developed and was allowed to be complacent. That's the bottom line. If there's one thing I know, it's DE play. He had all the physical tools to be an early round pick. This wasn't a case of being too small, or unathletic, or stiff like Joe Jackson. This was a kid who had all the physical tools to run circles around NFL caliber offensive tackles his freshman year.

He never sharpened his game. Never added new moves to his repertoire. Never got any better. I would blame the kid if the same exact thing hadn't happened to previous Defensive Ends here.
Lazy lazy lazy and it showed all last year

Greg Ross going to be a Top 10 pick with the same staff
Jalean Phillips will be a 2nd round pick if not better if he stays healthy and puts up stats with the same coaching staff

Joe Jackson, Garvin, Hill, etc all have something in common compared to the two guys up there

Coaching, coaching, coaching. There simply isn't enough fire in our coaching staff to light a dry pine cone. When the coaches have no fire, the players that need it most don't have it. Some guys are self starters, but most are not.

Garvin, with the right coaching, will have a real chance to become the player we all thought he could be.

Advertisement
Greg Ross going to be a Top 10 pick with the same staff
Jalean Phillips will be a 2nd round pick if not better if he stays healthy and puts up stats with the same coaching staff

You know this already? 🤔

This is exactly what was thought of Garvin, Jackson and Thomas when they got here.

Advertisement
Back